Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia at No. 7 in latest ESPN Football Power Index is 'laughable'

SystemSystem Posts: 10,528 admin
edited April 2021 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia at No. 7 in latest ESPN Football Power Index is 'laughable'

Georgia football has finished in the Top 10 each of the past four seasons, but ESPN's FPI rank of No. 7 is considered low for the Bulldogs by many

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    randyglass14randyglass14 Posts: 199 ✭✭✭ Junior

I for one like us being underrated and overlooked....takes a lot of social pressure off this young team to just go out and play the game rather than thinking their too big for their "silver britches." Now it's time to "chop wood" and make ESPN embarrassed by their FPI algorithm.....by the way, Iowa State, Texas A&M and even Oklahoma is laughable being rated higher than UGA.

• Options
    ronjbaronjba Posts: 9 ✭ Freshman

Georgia will lose possibly one game this season (Clemson) before playing in the SEC championship against Alabama. The team is still stacked in talent as well. JT Daniels is really good and in his 4th year as a highly-rated college QB. They will be a beast all season to play.

Iowa State has to get through Iowa, Texas, Baylor, TCU and Oklahoma. Georgia has to be a Florida team minus Kyle Trask and top 5 pick Kyle Pitts.

If there was no Nick Saban/Alabama juggernaut Georgia would have multiple natties this decade. It's like running into the Patriots or Roger Federer in their time. The team is always tough and will be there. If the machine really says 7 you need to work on fixing the program.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree that it's good to be underrated. I do think it's telling, though, that ESPN's evaluation allows for a decent chance of Georgia winning the SEC and STILL not getting invited to the playoff.

• Options
    WhiznotWhiznot Posts: 9 ✭ Freshman

I felt good about this season before Peter Burns said we'd be great. What a buzzkill.

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That’s why football is played on the field, not paper.

• Options
    BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Alabama could get in again without winning the conference championship.

• Options
    PetesdawgsPetesdawgs Posts: 400 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Not sure why people assume we will lose to Clemson? Our team will be better on offense and slightly better on defense if the line puts pressure on their quarterback..

• Options
    tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The last UGA team to go undefeated struggled all season to be unbeaten when they faced Notre Dame, and they battled all game long to win the Championship over the Irish. This team being ranked 7th is higher than the 1979 team started off as. Dooley in the preseason didn't know Herschel was really that good, he didn't start him in Knoxville against Tennessee. Later after he was inserted in the game. and after he flattened Bill Bates, then everyone woke up to what Herschel was capable of bringing every game. Then against Florida in Jacksonville, it was Lindsey Scott who saved the day for the Dawgs. The 1979 team was special, it's past time for that special team to be the Georgia Dawgs once again. The 2021 team can start on the way to being special by beating Clemson. Even if the win is only by one point, a win is a win. Start off with a loss then what glitters loses a lot of gloss.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2021

Eh, maybe for a week or two. We'll be favored (heavily for the most part) in every game after that until the SECCG. Either this team's potential is met, or it isn't. Either way, a loss to a top 5 non-conference opponent shouldn't mean much by December 5. I think it's safe to say we won't be getting in as a 12-1 SEC runner up. Maybe if we painted some As on our helmets ...

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2021

WOW is right. I guess we can put up or shut up starting September 4th and prove the pundits wrong. But I never put much stock in these pre-season rankings anyway. The SEC East is pretty weak as usual though, and the West is going to be much tougher. That's my only guess as to where they came up with our FPI.

Concerning Clemson...Daniels has more starting game experience than DJ. Clemson's defense will be their strength. I consider the game a toss up.

Concerning the SEC Championship and playoffs...if we don't make the SEC Championship game at least then we have failed miserably. Beyond that, even if we lose to Clemson, we win the SEC and then our biggest competition to getting in the playoffs may be Oklahoma if they run the table. Oklahoma should have their best team in years.

GO DAWGS!!

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Helmet-up Dawgs and prove them wrong... once again. This forecasting football outcomes through the lens of ESPN...is poor optics at best. I do think G-Day will give us some kind of inkling at certain positions....JT for one should shine. The DBs should get a workout. I know RB Kendall Milton will measure up. What concerns me is the potential for injury on the front lines....and, yes, WR! UGA, hopefully, can escape more season-ending injuries. Hate to have to address that issue again....but UGA has been snake-bit at WR. Previews have Arian Smith looking sharp. Good omen. UGA needs to field a strong aerial offense without its number one receiver. Todd Monken has got this...yes he has.

I also believe Clemson will be one close game...but JT Daniels will see UGA through to victory....IMO.

• Options
    Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Motivation! That's all this is! Glad to see our Dawg not getting much respect right now. Respect is earned, and if we tend to our business on and off the field, we're going to earn that respect. Take care of business, Dawgs! Let's go!

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    Dawgbreath40Dawgbreath40 Posts: 54 ✭ Freshman

It’s all bologna.

ESPN and others do it to generate buzz and clicks, that is it.

It is all nonsense, but it works to get them what they want, obviously.

• Options
    BetheredgeBetheredge Posts: 200 ✭✭✭ Junior

I could care less about rankings. It's all just a guessing game anyway. Bottom line is until Kirby & the Dawgs quit losing games they should win (MO for decades) & prove it on the field, Georgia will not receive & may not deserve any more respect. With the exception of Clemson, there is not a team on Georgia's schedule this year whose talent even remotely compares to what the Dawgs have. They should beat Clemson by 10-14 points & totally dominate everyone else on the schedule including Auburn & Florida.

• Options
    robinsdawgrobinsdawg Posts: 106 ✭✭✭ Junior

gotta remember, ESPN's FPI ranking is not how good a team is. it's a cosmic formula to predict how successful a team will be in the near term. UGA starting against Clemson is tough

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,884 mod
  • Options
    stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

This just seems to confirm that 2021 will be a two game season starting with Clemson and ending with the SECCG. While everything seems to depend on the health of the quarterback, his health will depend on how good the offensive line will be. How good the o line will be seems to be an unknown.

What is interesting is how Alabama is ranked given the players they are losing from their NC team.