Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

What the new NCAA transfer rule means for the Georgia football program

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited April 2021 in Article commenting
imageWhat the new NCAA transfer rule means for the Georgia football program

The NCAA passed new legislation that will allow all NCAA athletes to transfer one time without having to sit out a season. This news impacts the Georgia football program in a number of ways in both the short and long term.

Read the full story here

Comments

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Unfortunately, this means that Smart will need to adjust his philosophy as there will be endless attempts at poaching existing players and commits. It also means that more effort will be needed to give 2nd string and true freshmen playing time so that they won't feel resentful about not being given a shot.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kirby says if you are good enough you will play. We play a ton of folks on Defense. If you can't start on the O-line at UGA and you don't think you will the next season either with another year under your belt but could on a lessor team and you want to go play for Tennessee St or East Carolina , then see ya.

It also means that only the best will want to transfer in to a UGA, or BAMA , Clemson, Ohio St. or Oklahoma. Hopefully we get our share. Losing a 3rd stringer isn't the end of the world.

The biggest potential problem could be at the QB position. You could lose a 5 star future top 10 NFL draft pick to another team that balls out. Look at Fields, Burrows, Matt Jones, Baker Mayfield, or Kyler Murray. Might have to lose a Vandergriff , Beck, or a Stockton.

Just puts more pressure on Kirby to make the right call on the QB. Not just UGA but also on the other big team's coaches.. It's why they get paid the big bucks.

The other big area of concern may be in recruiting. What you tell recruits about early playing time or not.

• 2statedawg2statedawg Posts: 21 ✭ Freshman

I gotta believe this is just the first domino to fall. Wait til Cory Booker and his cronies get what they want.

• GaBoi69GaBoi69 Posts: 323 ✭✭✭ Junior

I can support the decision. I feel the student athletes should have that opportunity to transfer out of a program into another program without sitting out a season. I feel the deadline date should change from May 1st to sometime before early signing day after the regular season ends. This give the coaches the opportunity to see how many players they have coming back, how many scholarships they will have available, and what positions group they need to fill. Having it May 1st will hurt programs considering if players leave a program, the program don't have the opportunity to fill that spot before the season starts because the recruitment window with signing has closed.

• JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"The NCAA passed landmark legislation on Thursday, as it will now allow athletes to transfer one time without having to forfeit a year of eligibility."

Legislation? Seriously?

"The decision will need to be ratified by Division I Board of Directors, who are set to meet on April 28."

Is ratification by the BoD automatic?

Is this a rule change which applies to just this one season?

And, the big question: What are the unintended consequences?

For this and many reasons the NCAA is an organization which needs to be put down.

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2021

Well, couldn't they just fill those spots with transfers from other programs? It's basically become a second recruiting season already - first you sign guys straight up, then you start recruiting transfers on the back end to fill everything out. I do agree, though, that giving every program's roster time to solidify before signing day and spring practice would make for a more stable situation and thus be better for the sport. We only get to watch and get acquainted with these guys for 3-5 years as it is. I'm not sure how much more shuffling in and out will result from this new rule, since that has already been happening pretty regularly for the past few years anyway. But I'm all for any caveat to it that could help preserve roster stability as much as possible.

• tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Say you have a player to commit and sign on the dotted line during the early signing period or the later signing period, and transfers out May 01. How do you replace that player?