Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia basketball point guard Sahvir Wheeler declares for NBA Draft, enters portal

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited April 2021 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia basketball point guard Sahvir Wheeler declares for NBA Draft, enters portal

ATHENS — Georgia basketball point guard Sahvir Wheeler is declaring himself eligible for the NBA Draft and entering the NCAA transfer portal. The Bulldogs’ second-team All-SEC player announced the news on his Twitter account on Tuesday morning. #ChasinGhosts pic.twitter.com/O3FgxufxxT — Sahvir (@sahvir_) April 20,

Read the full story here

Comments

• natejawsnatejaws Posts: 162 ✭✭✭ Junior

Mark Richt has lost control of the team

• David1David1 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I guess it’ll be another bad year for Georgia basketball. Losing this many players could be more about the coach than the transfer rule.

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Number one scorer leaves....Mr. Crean....you have big problems. But that is par for UGA basketball. NC, Duke...big names... lost a few I see. The NCAA has again opened a can of "worms." It never ends.

• dawg4lyfedawg4lyfe Posts: 22 ✭✭ Sophomore

I don't know if it's just the climate now and trendy to hop into the portal, or is it really a cause for concern for Crean?? It's good to see transfers coming TO us for a change, but are they going to make this team better? I truly hope so. I will support Men's and Women's BBall team forever, I just wish the Men's team could produce and become Tourney contenders annually. Time will tell, and the New AD, if he backs the program even 1/4 as much as he does the Football team. There's absolutely no reason this Univ. could not be a two major-sport or even three, with baseball, as perennial contenders and/or Champions.

• JimDawg85JimDawg85 Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior

Sorry to see Wheeler leave but this looks like it is going to be the new trend in all of college athletics. Who I think this trend really hurts will be high school players looking for scholarships because now they are not only competing with other HS players, now they are in competition with older players with a year or more experience playing at the college level. Why take a chance on an unproven HS kid, when you can get a more mature and experienced player through the transfer portal? The NCAA, as usual, has really shot themselves in the foot with this move.

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Enters the transfer portal AND declares for the NBA draft? What am I missing? My guess is that Wheeler will be playing pro ball in Europe.

• HunkerDawgHunkerDawg Posts: 76 ✭✭✭ Junior

Something is wrong in Crean's program. 6 players exit, including your top 2 guys, after year 3? No, something is big time wrong. And we deserve answers.

• Bigjohnson92Bigjohnson92 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

All teams are going through this. There’s 1000 kids in the basketball portal. My bet is our team is significantly better next year. If the entire roster left, we could find 12 quality guys. None of these guys leaving were irreplaceable. And most were short for their position and can’t shoot. Soooo..... A little housekeeping might be just the ticket.

• Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Did you even read the article or skip to the comments. Even the greatest programs in the country have STARTERS entering the transfer portal. This has nothing to do with Crean and everything to do with the NCAA's silly rule changes. Take a chill pill.