Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia football podcast: Dan Lanning reportedly in mix for head coaching job

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited April 2021 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football podcast: Dan Lanning reportedly in mix for head coaching job

Georgia football is the No. 1 topic every day on DawgNation Daily — the daily podcast for Georgia Bulldogs fans. Catch up on everything happening with UGA athletics with host Brandon Adams and the DawgNation experts as they break down the latest Georgia football recruiting news and discuss coach Kirby Smart’s quest

Read the full story here

Comments

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This information is old news. But boy, would THAT be a downgrade for Lanning. Kansas? Yucko. Head coach or not, when a guy who was considered for the Texas HC job gets offered a Les Miles replacement position at a cellar dweller program like Kansas you simply pass it by. I don't care if he's from the area, there will be much better options later on. He probably won't be with the Dawgs much longer but deserves better.

• ftworthdawgftworthdawg Posts: 789 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If Lanning leaves soon for a HC gig, Schuman will step in as DC and Muschamp can step in as a Pos coach

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not an upward move IMO. If UGA gets to the playoffs or wins the Natty and has a top 3-4 defense in the nation, then the world is Lanning's oyster.

• BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My money says the new head coach at Kansas will be Todd Monken or Kevin Kane so don’t panic....yet 😉

Go Dawgs!!!

• brvhrtbrvhrt Posts: 320 ✭✭✭ Junior

Kirby has been in this position countless times. He'll provide some excellent counsel to Lanning about avoiding the temptation of taking a HC position at a career-killer like Kansas. I'd be willing to bet everything I own (which isn't much) that he doesn't take it.

• stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

This might not be a bad opportunity. No one expects much from whoever becomes the HC other than Kansas and I am not so sure even they do. The bar for success is very low. What it would provide is the opportunity to learn what being a head coach is all about. It is not like after being the HC at Kansas he would not get another opportunity.

The other option is to wait for a better opportunity but what would that be? A group of 5 program? As much as we admire what he has done, he does not have the background to go to an elite program that is down.

So maybe he looks at this much as the ND DC looked at Vandy, an opportunity to move up. In this comparison, would it be easier to win at Vandy or Kansas. I would think it would be easier at Kansas.

• VenomGAVenomGA Posts: 336 ✭✭✭ Junior

he needs to wait for a better team. Kansas has always been bad. No point going somewhere that you will have an awful record. It could keep him from getting another job in the future that's a better opportunity.

• Bigjohnson92Bigjohnson92 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • WCHWCH Posts: 474 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Kansas would be the last school any coach with a brain would consider. Give him a few years to learn more and earn real bona fides and he'll be ready to coach a real program and we'll miss him.

• BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Oooops, I meant to say Jeff Monken and not his cousin Todd. Go Dawgs!!!

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2021

He was considered for the Texas position even earlier in the year, but the talk of Lanning and the Kansas position came up as early as March 10th from the articles I read.

The latest I read today...

" However, Lanning just received a massive raise with the Bulldogs in order to keep him from taking the defensive coordinating position under new Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian. 

Lanning is now the 7th highest-paid assistant in college football, with a salary just north of $1.75M. Lanning will likely leave the Georgia staff to become a head coach eventually, but like current Georgia head coach Kirby Smart, we here at Dawgs Daily expect him to be patient and wait for the right job. 

According to sources, as of right now there doesn't seem to be any preparations being made to replace Lanning as the defensive coordinator. There was a legitimate scare with the Texas offering this spring, however, things seem to be rather calm around this situation. This doesn't seem like near the scare within the program. "

• GardenDawgGardenDawg Posts: 311 ✭✭✭ Junior

You do not throw away a career for KU Football. The Fat Man has been the only real success KU has had and I am not sure it will return. The State has few big time prospects that will not consider a bottom dweller.

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm sure Smart would chuckle and say that EVERY assistant coach in a top program is ALWAYS in the mix for a HC job somewhere. Bama cycles through coaches every year, yet still finds a way to maintain their dominance.

• dawgfan2009dawgfan2009 Posts: 4 ✭ Freshman

I would still enjoy Freeze Frame as a podcast. Even though the podcast audience would be missing the video portion of the show, I’d bet there still a portion of the audience that would enjoy listening to the analysis! I know I would.