Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

CFP Committee hears future expansion options, continues to support 4-team playoff

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited April 2021 in Article commenting
imageCFP Committee hears future expansion options, continues to support 4-team playoff

The College Football Playoff Committee held scheduled meetings virtually for two days this week to discuss plans for this year's CFP Championship Game in Indianapolis and hear proposals for possible expansion in 5 years

Read the full story here

Comments

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2021

5 more grueling years....ARGH.

How can these guys be "satisfied" with the current playoff 4-team format when most everyone else (including many head coaches) thinks the playoffs MUST be expanded ???

Honestly, as a diehard college football fan, I am very, very tired of seeing the same teams in the playoffs. Seriously. A 6 or preferably 8-team playoff would be more exciting and ideal. Most people aren't asking for more teams than that (even though the FCS has even more teams than that in their playoffs). Let's have a playoff that really is a playoff. What we have isn't even a "playoff".

Make the other major bowl games the quarter and semi-final games in the new playoffs and rotate them like it's done currently.

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I give the 8-team playoff 3 years before the exact same argument is widely made for expanding it to 12-16.

I can see the writing in the wall. I might even be starting to come around to the idea of an 8-team playoff in and of itself. It will water down the regular season and won't remove the potential for the committee to obviously get it wrong with their selections. But on the bright side, at least it would lower the chances of a deserving team getting left out altogether. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm not really sure why so many are so gung-ho about trading one set of issues for another. We can all agree that a more sensible selection process is needed, but why should we settle for one that comes at the expense of one of the main things that makes college football so great to begin with?

(As a side note, I think automatic bids are a truly terrible idea. But if it's going to be expanded, I really can't picture a major conference champ being left out of the 8+ who get in anyway, so it's essentially moot.)

• VenomGAVenomGA Posts: 336 ✭✭✭ Junior

let's start with 8. The conference championship game winner from the 5 major conferences, the Lower schools can have a rep if in the top 10 and 2 at large bids(possibly 3 if no lower conference teams qualify). This also means freaking ND (because they are an independent) would be scrounging for 1 of the 2 remaining bids. BUT unlike the lower conferences, ND is guaranteed NOTHING. They have to earn it.

• BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2021

I think all the arguments against expanded playoffs are pure malarkey!!! It must be all about the bowl game contracts and $$$. The college presidents say the stress of extra games is placing too much pressure on the athletes. If that’s the case then why do all the other college divisions play 4-5 rounds of playoffs? Why do HS teams in Georgia have to play 15 games to be in the state finals....AND, if physical stress is an issue then why does the NFL play 16 games and then 3-4 playoff games? I guess only division I football is tough on the athletes (Bahahaha). Also, division I football is the only sport I know that has such a limited number of play-off games. I vote for at least 8 or more teams in the playoffs and quit making silly excuses for not expanding. Also, use the current bowl games for the playoffs and you will have lightyears more interest in those poorly attended games. Go Dawgs!!!

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Right now we have Clemson, Bama (doesn’t even have to win their division to get a bid), and the rest of D-1 vying for the other two spots. If Clemson’s annual cakewalk through the All Cupcake Conference makes them virtually an annual automatic bid, what happens if a PAC team puts together an annual contender that can cakewalk through that dismal conference for another practically automatic bid? That would leave the rest of D-1 competing for one bid. Expansion to eight teams is logical and necessary!

• 97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited April 2021

This statement by the committee is pure politics. If they say they like the idea of an expanded playoff, it delegitimizes the remaining 4-team contests. They won’t say anything with so many years of the current format locked in.

• stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

I will take the opposite view. I think the playoffs should revert back to two teams. This would prevent the blow out games we are forced to watch each year. Under the current selection process we do not end up with the four best teams as it is. Last year there were better teams than Clemson, OSU and ND who were left out. I think OU was a better team. You could make a case for A&M. Had UGA not have had two in season losses, you could say they were one of the 4 best teams at the end of the season but it would have been more difficult.

By going to 6-8 teams you will end the bowl games. As it now stands most of them are meaningless. They exist because ESPN pays for programming.

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yep, I'm sure they've discussed the FINANCIALS and it's FINANCIALLY better for them to keep the current Bowl schedule so that advertisers can choose what "matchups" work best for them.

I mean, seriously, that's what it's all about. They know what the fans, students, coaches, etc want and what's best for the sport, but as long as they will make more $$$ this way, nothing will change.

Advertisers want to be able to say "we want to target the best available SEC school and the best available ACC" and not wind up with a matchup from schools that might not have a solid following or might be a low interest rematch.

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No, go backing to the #1 and #2 teams means that you have the same boring matchup every year. It would've been Clemson vs Bama again instead of the upset with Ohio State.

The Bowl System is currently messed up and it has nothing to do with ESPN but instead the advertisers who pick what teams they want. They don't want to pay for a playoff game that might be #1 vs #8 and a blowout or a team that might not have a solid following.

Bowl Game selection isn't fair right now by any stretch of the imagination and it shows in lack of attendance and interest.

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'll tell you another thing about the ridiculous college football post season beyond the playoffs (which desperately need expanding)...we've got more than 30 bowl games which has become a joke!! Talk about making bowls irrelevant...what's been done to water down bowl season has made it a no-watch affair. I never watch any of the bowl games until sometime after Christmas. Why do teams that are barely at .500 or slightly above get a bowl game? Ludicrous. You can get rid of about half the bowl games currently, because they are a waste and many of the teams don't deserve one.

Why not take a few of those more high profile bowl games and add them to an expanded playoff roster? You'll get much more viewership and interest.