Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Alabama addition of Henry To’o To’o should signal transfer portal change for Georgia football

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited May 2021 in Article commenting
imageAlabama addition of Henry To’o To’o should signal transfer portal change for Georgia football

The transfer portal figures to bring changes to the SEC, as Alabama and Nick Saban showed this weekend.

Read the full story here

Comments

• LowcountryBulldawgLowcountryBulldawg Posts: 2 ✭ Freshman

You have to keep in mind for every Transfer KS brings in it counts towards the following seasons recruiting count of 25 players.

Personally KS is using the portal the way he should. He is selective in who he brings in and not just using it in a knee jerk fashion.

We continue to recruit at this level and more importantly develop we will never have to be reliant on the portal. We may take 1 a cycle to plug and play but that’s it.

I think it sends a bad message to HS players if you take the portal as a way to over recruit a position. It may very well backfire on programs who do that.

• Dawgfan1995Dawgfan1995 Posts: 77 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think this article is based on the false premise that Kirby won't use the transfer portal -- he absolutely does when he sees a need on his football team that has to be plugged. Think about the transfers under him that have come in -- Mo Smith, Demetris Robertson, Tre McKitty, Eli Wolff, Jamie Newman, J.T. Daniels, Tykee Smith...these are all transfers who came in and, other than Newman, helped the team basically right away or had the possibility of doing so.

Might Kirby be more aggressive in recruiting in the portal? Maybe -- but how much do you know, Conor, about what Kirby is really doing with recruiting of players in the portal? Having looked at the list of players available there, you have to realize that most players are not To'o To'o. Everyone in that portal has baggage of some type.

Kirby has to be the one weighing the talent levels versus the personal issues and character to determine whether the guy is worth pursuing. There's no reason to recruit in the portal for the sake of simply "doing something."

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This sucks. Big time. I hope transfers are everywhere. I hope this system is abused. Then I hope they realize just how awful of an idea it was and do away with it. Force every single player (except those that graduated) to sit a year if they transfer. No exceptions.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Correct me if I'm wrong but at one point last year didn't we have 2 transfer QB's?? Now we have one who many predict will be the 1st QB taken in the draft. Worked out rather nicely, I'd say. Keep using the transfer portal and get what you need.

Interesting picture, Kirby looking like he's reporting for duty and Saban looking like, "I don't need this cr#p, hurry up with the pics."

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I generally agree with the comments below. This article feels like a bit of a knee-jerk reaction. As annoying as it is to see the rich keep getting richer in this specific case, I don't see how it fundamentally changes the strategy for Georgia. We've got 3 spots available, and could use some experienced talent at the cornerback position. Fill one or two, maybe even all three of those spots with some CBs (assuming Smart finds some that are a good fit, of course) and move on. That's essentially what has been Smart's approach, and I don't see why it would no longer make sense just because Bama signed a linebacker from Tennessee.

• mnbdawgmnbdawg Posts: 34 ✭✭ Sophomore

Henry To'o To'o may have good at Tennessee but may be third string at Alabama, Saban will sign a player just to keep him away from going to another team.

He was the #3 outside linebacker in the class of 2019. Top 50 player in the nation. He was never going to be 3rd string anywhere.

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Connor Riley stirring the controversy pot again. CKS is using the transfer portal absolutely correctly. CKS showing loyalty to the players he recruited. He believes in them. CNS NOT showing loyalty to his players. Waiting for the other shoe to drop at Bama. Which WR's and LB's hit the transfer portal from Bama now. For those of you commenting on DJ and Newman's transfers last year. I believe Newman was a grad transfer and DJ had already sat out a year. He was a great candidate for immediate eligibility waiver. SEC should NOT change their sit out rule. THAT will keep teams from poaching from each other.

• dawgfan623dawgfan623 Posts: 110 ✭✭✭ Junior

ToToTo was below average at UT. He graded out 10% worse via PPF that Quay Walker in 2020. He wouldn't be a starter for us and is grading out as below average through 2 years at UT. I don't understand why everyone is acting like Bama got a bonafide all american out of the portal?????

• stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

I truly do not understand the purpose of this article other than maybe having to publish something for today.

Since the focus seems to be on the former UT linebacker with comments all over the place, do some research. Saban recruited him hard out of high school and was disappointed that he chose UT over UA. It would seem that now he realizes he made an error in this decision and now wants to correct that by transferring to Bama. You can be assured that if Saban did not think he could not make a contribution to the defense he would not have been offered. The only question I have is will he play at Bama for one year or two years.

The only difference in this particular transfer than any undertaken by Kirby is it is within the conference. Please correct me if I am wrong but to my knowledge no SEC player has indicated they desire to transfer to UGA.

As someone pointed out, Saban thought and still does believe the transfer portal and now immediate eligibility is bad for college football. This, however, does not mean that if this is the rule, Saban will not use it to the full advantage of Alabama. Kirby has been doing the same thing. What I think you will see over time will be the rich getting richer. It will also have a major impact on JuCo players going to power 5 conferences and to a lesser degree high school players.

As a side note Dickerson was a graduate transfer.

Led the Vols for a third-straight week with a career-high 11 tackles and two TFLs at #3 Georgia (10/10)

Glad he graded out so low. Just think if he was any good.

• JackalopeJackalope Posts: 6 ✭ Freshman

Yoo-hoo! Kirby! Saban beat you again. He's using the transfer portal to get better. Might want to go see if he left anything out there.

• saigonbillydawgsaigonbillydawg Posts: 11 ✭✭ Sophomore

Connor. Kirby doesn't need to start using the portal like Saban does; he's used it in the same way already. His answering a 1 a certain way at a pre bowl press conference does not set out his policy. You implying that Saban is somehow a leader in innovative transfer portal use, when Kirby has used it the same way and already there ways, must be a typo, of which you still make far too many. Please get a proof reader to help you with typos and grammar. And, hopefully your criticisms of Kirby will actually be technically correct if not so much so, logically. You have missed some key innovative recruiting moves by Kirby, and if course, he doesn't announce or publicize those. In fact he brilliantly hopes they fly over the heads of many...and they do.. as they often go unreported. Not just by you, but by most and sometimes all (see Sabans huge miss on thipi, which Saban attempted to quickly cover up with his patented superior attitude used to blow smoke in order to cover up his personal mental miss, while his former protege Kirby silently celebrated his superior stand alone strategic advantage, by landing the runaway #1 recruiting class on the first early signing period with his approach and lucid understanding of how to attack the first early signing day. While you, Connor, along with Saban and everyone else missed the simple but hidden advantage. Kirby could tell that everyone else was sleeping on the fact that the first date was really the main date and the second date was fir icing only. No one but Kirby and maybe som others also smart enough to remain silent to this day about it, Notice Saban's shamefully self-centered coverup, as he blamed his entire staff for missing this huge but hidden main advantage, since Saban missed it himself, then all he COULD do was to imply that he had expected his staff to see things like that huge missed advantage, so Saban cruelly fired his whole staff for landing way down at #6, but the truth was obvious, to those with extremely rare and very well experienced eyes...that Saban himself had missed it big-time, but in a very small time reaction, blamed others by firing his staff, as he could hardly fire himself, one would suppose, to deflect attention from his temporary lapse into a confused sleep. as Saban publicly complained about how difficult it was on his personal schedule since, of course and as usual, he had playoff games to prepare for. And Connor, before you quickly reply that Kirby said the same thing about how difficult it made things, he did so with tongue on cheek because he, as always he had been the one to see new social media recruiting advantages at least a year before anyone else did. Not Saban . .it was all Kirby. Saban didn't even know how to turn on a computer back then, according to a Muschamp friendly ribbing of Saban years ago. Kirby anticipated exactly what he saw materialize, that Saban and followers of Saban would all just complain about the ridiculous extra stress that the change did indeed put on coaches, and of course, Kirby also publicly griped about it, but with a knowledgeable tongue in cheek, as Kirby's complaining was a decoy to not alert others to his cobtentvinner self at that moment. Since, he already had his #1 class all in and ready to sign on that first early date, while ALL the rest of coaches and reporters could only see the time difficulties) y'all all missed it dude, while Kirby, as usual, didn't miss it, and proceeded quickly and quietly, as he still IS DOING these days while really good folks like yourself continue to give out elementary level advice to people. I tried to send you advance guidance, using private communication with you. Unfortunately, you looked down upon my offer, and me, with poor manners and a lack of respect for your elders, I might add. But, lately I have sensed some maturation in your outlook. That is why I am assuming this, your latest miss on Saban vs. Kirby is not real, but simply a typo and not a downward trend for your knowledge cycle ; hopefully, and most likely, this is just yet another typo created gaffe, upon which you need to improve drastically. I can help, but privately via email, you still have somewhere. if not it's williamkholmes@gmail.com, if you want a friendly advisor you can trust. Thank you sir. Keep up the good work.

• saigonbillydawgsaigonbillydawg Posts: 11 ✭✭ Sophomore

The yoo-hoo Kirby comment is made by one of those among the sleeping-yet-still-blindly-commenting-while-embarrassingly-uninformed group. No need to wake him, let him sleep on.

• stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

There are so many moving parts to the transfer portal and the majority of them seem to be bad for the players as well as the teams. At one point there were more than 1,900 players in the portal. Once a player enters his name the school can rescind his scholarship. Not all these players are going to receive scholarships at new schools. There will probably be three or four types of players in the portal. The first group, which will be very small proven elite players, think JTD and HTt. They will go to quality programs. The second group will be very good players who go to “named” programs that are really second tier. Here think of a Michigan State who now have 14 transfer in’s. The next group of players will end up in situations that are worse than the ones they left. The final group will no longer have scholarships and their football careers will be over.

In many ways I find this to be sad. Yet, it really is a decision of the players. The rich will get richer. High school players will have less of an opportunity and JuCo players will be left in the wind except for a very small number.

• dawgs18dawgs18 Posts: 183 ✭✭✭ Junior

UGA has added more top end transfers than bama - plus with kendrick likely coming on soon this take , and your not alone unfortunately, is just a **** one at the least - cause bama lands an elite kid all of the sudden uga needs to change something ?!? uga has already been doing it - see JT daniels - bama has put blinders on logic and reason for most of the CFB media and created asinine takes like this for other programs minus clemson (from mostly fortune)