Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Looks like the Varsity in Athens is going the way of the dinosaur....

YellerDawgYellerDawg Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
edited May 2021 in General

Comments

• Palm_City_DawgPalm_City_Dawg Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This makes me sad.

• DawgsonTopDawgsonTop Posts: 521 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Meh. I’ve lived in Athens 20 years and can count the number of times I’ve been there on one hand.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,649 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As a restaurant, no big loss. I went there once and was not impressed.

As a local landmark, its sad to see it go.

I never liked the place, but I know lots of people did. Is the family divesting from the business or are the building another somewhere else in Athens?

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The comments above mirror my experience there as a student. Terrible location in relationship to student housing vs other eateries. The property will be put to a much better use. The only advantage the Varsity had over the Kangaroo on Lumpkin back then was you could get chili on your dogs and onion rings, but the ‘roo dogs were bigger, cheaper, and available late LATE night

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It’s a tradition, so I hate to see it go. However, I’d rather eat at the Grill or another higher quality restaurant. Heck, I’d rather eat at Waffle House.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I never like to see landmark buildings torn down, anywhere, but...

The Varsity is an Atlanta institution. It's not the same in Athens. (In no small part due to the fact that the original Varsity is so closely tied to Georgia Tech.)

I can live with this. On the other hand, if I heard that the Grill was going to be torn down I might drive to Athens and lie down on the ground in front of the bulldozer.

Dinosaurs were awesome. This is more like the loss of the Dodo bird.

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My heart is heavy

• TurkDawgTurkDawg Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I love the Atlanta downtown location (always went there before Braves games), but never thought the Athens location was very good. I think it used to be downtown a long time ago but not when I was a student in the 80s. The food didn't seem as fresh, either.

I liked the Grill, the Taco Stand, Sons of Italy pizza and the Bennigan's Tavern when I was there.

• PlayHurtPlayHurt Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sad indeed. Talk about a must do on a bucket list; You’ve never experienced game day in Athens if you haven’t eaten at the Varsity before a game. Sometimes it’s now how good the food is, but the experience. I’m glad I’ve had the experience many times and with my kids. Unfortunately it doesn’t look like I’ll get to have that experience with my grandkids.

• YellerDawgYellerDawg Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Been to the one in Athens before games; also the one in Atlanta just because.

• MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As a kid, we go to the original in Midtown. Years later, we'd frequent the Varsity Junior on Cheshire Bridge. The atmosphere was definitely worth it. The food? Well, if you like luke warm hot dogs, super greasy fries, and horrible hamburgers, go for it.

• TurkDawgTurkDawg Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MarkBoknecht thanks for reminding me about the Varsity Jr on Cheshire Bridge. When I was little my parents used to take us there, as it was near their first apartment where they lived in the 1950s. There was an old-school deli type place called Happy Herman's nearby. Also the Colonnade restaurant which I believe is still open . I also remember the Lowe's Tara theater in that area where I saw the original Star Wars (1977) movie. Great memories!

• ultimatedawgultimatedawg Posts: 428 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

First off i love tradition. However you put a Publix there and i am good with that

• ForestryDawgForestryDawg Posts: 29,205 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Bigjohnson92Bigjohnson92 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Hate to hear, but that property is worth millions. Iconic places all over the country are being bulldozed and redeveloped. They are often located in prime locations, and you just can’t build more land. Progress right?

• dawgfromduluthdawgfromduluth Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior

Like the death of an old college friend. Can't count the times I've had two chili dogs all the way with rings and a big orange.