Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia ‘RBU’ status in question, Top 10 returning tailback list lacks Bulldogs

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited May 2021 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia ‘RBU’ status in question, Top 10 returning tailback list lacks Bulldogs

Four of the top 10 returning running backs in college football are from the SEC, according to the Pro Football Focus, which should surprise no one.

Read the full story here

Comments

• MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

They may have higher rated backs but we have numbers on our side as well as a talented group. I would play our hand any time....

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2021

Yes, Georgia has so MANY quality backs that there isn't a need to rely on any one of them to the point that they become a household name. Put Cook, McIntosh, Milton or maybe even Edwards or White on one of the teams on this list, and chances are at least 1 or 2 of them makes the cut.

I would be most reluctant to put White on that list, simply because of the knee injuries. But if he keeps improving, he definitely has the potential to be up there.

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

RBU is never in question. The question is if we have the guys that can catch our superstar QB passes. If we can do that, our offense should be in solid shape.

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'll take a room full of solid RBs any day. Look at the 2020 stats on RBs...UGA beat nearly every team that fielded a higher-yield RB than UGA.'s Zamir White.

I'm good with every one UGA has recruited and played. You wait.....UGA will shine in the backfield of : White, Cook, Milton, McIntosh and Edwards. This is a powerful running presentation..

• WildmanSlayerWildmanSlayer Posts: 88 ✭✭✭ Junior

When you use four or more running backs like Coach Kirby does, you're not going to have one back with a lot of rushing Yards, and if I'm not mistaken we had two or three running backs knocked out of playing time last year with injuries.

• BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The results would be very different if the question was: Which university has the best overall backfield (3-4 running backs)?

Go Dawgs!!!

• navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don’t wish Any team injuries because when you do that it can boomerang back to You. So Please don’t think I’m wishing injuries off on any team. BUT when a team has one superstar RB and he gets hurt what then ??Usually there’s a very significant drop in quality depth from the superstar guy to the next man up. Not at UGA !! ALL the Dawgs RB’s are Very good to even Great. And if they were the Only guy at another school and not having to share snaps they Would be the superstar !! I’m So glad we have the arsenal of RBs we have. But what about the benefit to the RB himself being at UGA ?? Well as a Dawg that RB is gonna learn how to block at the highest levels, something that is coveted by the NFL. And now with Monken and JT that RB is gonna be taught how to Catch the ball at high levels as well. There for when that RB is looking at the NFL they will see he is the Total package a guy that can block efficiently and catch efficiently Not just run the ball. I am very confident that NFL scouts look at All these things when considering a RB. Go Dawgs !!

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It would be interesting to note in the past 2 seasons how many runs of over 20 yards UGA has had from their backs compared to other teams. I honestly don't recall that many. That generally means one of two things, either we haven't had the break away, take it to the house, type of runner or our O-Line just hasn't created many big openings in order to spring our backs to the 2nd level. I think it's some of both.

Our backs are not (generally speaking) a threat on any play to go the distance and take it to the house. Some opposing players over the years when they get the rock and there's a seem there you hold your breath and hope he doesn't take it all the way. UGA hasn't had that type guy since Swift left.

I think all around there has been a shortage of those type backs. Can't think of a one that we will play against this season, that I would maybe hold my breath if they ran it. Oh for another Herschel or Chubb , Michel, or a Knowshon, or a Hearst.

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Our backs are not (generally speaking) a threat on any play to go the distance and take it to the house. Some opposing players over the years when they get the rock and there's a seem there you hold your breath and hope he doesn't take it all the way. UGA hasn't had that type guy since Swift left."

Well, that sample size is all of one season. And the uphill struggle of implementing a new system without any spring practice or cupcake opponents during that season is well established. I think I'll wait to see how things go this season before writing anybody off in that regard.

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2021

Bama's Najee Harris was the #1 RB by a long shot in 2020. The next 3 guys in 2020- Kevin Harris (SC), Isaiah Spiller (Texas A&M), Larry Rountree (Mizzou) were considered good backs but nothing super special after Najee. If you look closely at the rankings going into 2021 there really is no breakout workhorse star like Najee that is going to consistently cause fear and give defenses trouble. Most of the guys in the 2021 rankings are grouped together pretty closely in yards attained and YPC. So, I really don't see any SEC team having a huge leg up on others when it comes to RBs. Even Brian Robinson has yet to become a breakout star for Bama. Could it happen? Sure. But, Milton could be that RB for Georgia too and/or Zeus could have a breakout year.

I think between all our elite backs getting reps I am more than satisfied to spread the ball around and keep those guys as fresh as possible. We have got an excellent RB group. And, most importantly, in 2021 with the Dawg's new air offense philosophy opposing defenses won't be able to simply load the box and work on stopping the run. We're going to have multiple weapons on offense if this Monken program works as advertised. So, our RBs may end up having more room to run. Besides, I care about winning games - not about which RB is ranked higher.

• stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

I have to agree with what seems to be the consensus that at this time there appears to be no elite running backs in the SEC. It will be interesting to see how the season progresses and if one will emerge. I think there will be at least one and he may very well be in Athens. It will probably be someone not being discussed.

As to losing the status of RBU, there seems to be an opinion that title has already been lost if one is to believe SI, ESPN and 24-7.

• SmokeOnTheWaterSmokeOnTheWater Posts: 66 ✭✭ Sophomore

You obviously do not know the RB's on our roster. We have a few that are a threat to take it the distance on any given play.

• RomeDawg288RomeDawg288 Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yet, I wouldn't trade our stable of backs for anybody's. Someone's opinion about ranking them preseason has no bearing on production. All it is - an opinion. My opinion is our top three outrank any SEC top three, including Alabama, but that also is - an opinion. Go Dawgs! Go RBU!

• PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Remember 2017. Auburn crushed the Dawgs on the plains. Kerryon Johnson was a beast. In the SECCG, he was injured, and auburn offense was flat. UGA defense did not help, any, either. That goes to show you what happens when you set your offense up around one back. If Cook goes down, there are 3 or 4 more talented backs to step in. If one back is not effective against a particular defense, you have others with unique running styles to try out. Always have fresh legs. UGA will never have a 35+ carries back, like Walker or Gurley. But, with a stable, they will have a punishing running game, all the same.

• DawggyDawggy Posts: 346 ✭✭✭ Junior

McIntosh is a breakaway threat - seems he had a 70 or 80 yarder as a freshman. But last season our O-line hasn't been as good in the running game as '17 and '18. Here's hoping all those 5-Star giants will be better this season. The downfield passing threat should open the run game as well.

• dogs_n_bravesdogs_n_braves Posts: 121 ✭✭✭ Junior

I would submit that any of our top 4 backs, if made the work horse (given 25-30 carries a game) would be on the Heisman watchlist. McIntosh is the most complete and, I think, has the highest ceiling. McIntosh is that perfect mix of Chubb and Michel. Milton is right there, too - he is Barry Sanders with size. White and Cook, with more reps, would each cruise to 120 yds per game . . . especially with the upcoming schedule.

IF RBU is in question, it isn't because of the roster. Play calling or scheme or whatever. Not the backs.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I, apparently with many others, feel like McIntosh is our best back, at least in terms of having that "take it to the house" via the run/ pass catching ability. Milton is a beast who could emerge as the go-to guy. He certainly has the size and speed to be the type guy that just wears defenses down, if he was given the ball 20-25 times a game. The thing is that's not going to be our offense moving forward. I could even see a scenario where Milton transfers after this season if he isn't given considerably more touches this year. Edwards the same way. Great ground and pound guy. Kirby will have to do a masterful job at determining who he can't afford to let transfer-get away/please wait one more year and your time will come.

Let's face it, we have many good to very good backs, but (at the moment) not one that is the proverbial "game changer"-we can't afford to lose this guy.

I thought about Kerryon Johnson when commenting below. That guy was someone I hated to see slip through the d-line, he was the difference maker in Auburn's win over us and at least some of the reason we beat them in the SECC game when he was hurting. Auburn didn't have a plug and play guy behind him. What team would? He was special. We don't, as of right this second, have that guy. I would love for someone to emerge that is that much better than the herd.

Nothing wrong with having a stable of very adequate backs. I just want one guy that is a cut above the rest to be the difference maker. The guy that teams go, "we have to stop this guy", or else. But that's just me. It will all work it's way out on the field in summer practice and on the playing field this fall. Go Dawgs!