Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Mark Richt: NIL landscape challenges team focus, will be ‘hard to manage’

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited May 2021 in Article commenting
imageMark Richt: NIL landscape challenges team focus, will be ‘hard to manage’

Players have much to gain with the new NIL legislation, but coaches could be challenged to keep players focused on team goals.

Read the full story here

Comments

• BornADawgBornADawg Posts: 621 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

College football, as most of us grew up knowing it, is soon to be lost forever. I have grown to understand this is a big business and many times these young men have had career ending injuries where they could not realize their dreams of the NFL while the universities made millions off of their efforts. I also believe many have squandered an opportunity for a good education, wherever that may be, by not applying themselves in the classroom the way they could have and securing their future.

I don’t know what the future may hold for the sport but I believe the long term ramifications are not going to be good. Just my two cents worth. Go Dawgs!

• GlenuGlenu Posts: 2 ✭ Freshman

The NFL needs a "G League" the sooner, the better. How nice it would be once again to have real college football. Scholarships would be offered after the freshman year before that- a sign posted at conspicuous locations around campus- "football tryouts begin Sept 1".

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There is always D-2 for those who want to watch actual student athletes compete.

School affiliation and branding not player branding is what makes college football! If you took the exact same coaches and rosters for Bama and UGA and played a game between the Tuscaloosa Tide and the Athens Bulldogs without the school affiliation, the quality of football would be unchanged and there wouldn’t be 500 people who would show up to watch.

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2021

I see this as throwing college academics further out the window for "student athletes" in so far as college football is concerned with this NIL move and the new transfer rules. Might as well just let many of the best players go straight to the NFL and bypass college...

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Oh, that day is coming @MontanaDawg , sooner than later. This NIL legislation is just a temporary weigh station on the way to full-time professional status.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ok here comes the knee taking. Nike or whomever is going to be looking for some cultural heroes. Take a knee and get paid big time. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't see how this bodes well for the future of the sport. Coaches will be deemed racist if they object. Money corrupts most things. Sad.

• 87dawg87dawg Posts: 366 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I don't like this because of the team aspect. If you have a hotshot QB or WR, theywill be getting rich while the guys that make it possible for them to be the all star get nothing. I gotta believe there will be resentment and that will play into the team and the game. And then think about the lower income sports. I get the whole income generating thing but they are all highly gifted athletes in their sports.

College is supposed to be amateur. The payment is supposed to be the scholarship. A college education is not cheap, coupled with room and board. Making money for the school is the trade off. Let's say I invent something while working for my company. I do not get the benefits of that nor do I see a dime of that invention. My salary is what pays me to produce that invention. It's the same thing with an athletic scholarship. Players are paid to produce via scholarship.

• brvhrtbrvhrt Posts: 322 ✭✭✭ Junior

The higher you go in sports the less it's about the actual sport. This is just greed flowing down and seeping through the barrier of amateurism (aka the last line of defense for the purity of sport). This is just the next step in the corruption of football itself.