Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

WATCH: New Georgia football facility to play pivotal role in massive June

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited May 2021 in Article commenting
imageWATCH: New Georgia football facility to play pivotal role in massive June

Georgia's new $80 million football facility will be huge in the month of June.

Read the full story here

Comments

• navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The University Of Georgia is Indeed an elite school. The football program is Indeed an elite program. Kirby and our beloved Dawgs need to start winning though at the highest levels and consistently. No that’s not an ultimatum on my part that if Kirby and his staff don’t win a Natty in 2021 or even 2022, or else he or someone ( maybe even plural) should be fired. But I Would say that if he and staff haven’t produced a Ntl. Title by the end of the 2022 campaign things are gonna get mighty, mighty warm under his chair !! Because the Money People that support the program in a large way may begin to get hostile as well as the average fan like me. I think the vast majority of Dawgs fans believe it’s certainly not unreasonable to expect that This year. Much more so in 2022. The Dawgs have all things in place to make it happen. Are there question marks with this team ? Well Yes of course there is, but that’s where the coaches need to show up Big. Both in practices and during real games. With Kirby and staff’s success in recruiting that has left very little room for tolerance of excuses. I’ve never seen a Perfect college football team or Perfect Pro team for that matter. What I Have seen is Coaches training the players that they have available to the very highest standards. Then making the Correct adjustments during the game to get the W. I Really, Really hope it’s This year if I’m alive to see it. But if not I’d absolutely hope for 2022. And this is waaaaay above and beyond me as just a little $$ fan, but I’m not sure KS could survive not bringing it home in 2023. Those Big $$$ might show up then, if not before. Just sayin.

• rhclaghornrhclaghorn Posts: 106 ✭✭✭ Junior

Wow your expectations for Kirby are high indeed. I would never list winning a national championship as a requirement for keeping a coach. Too many things have to bounce in the right direction for that to happen that are not all in the head coach's control. For this season I would say winning the East is a reasonable expectation, and should put the Dawgs in the national championship conversation. I would also add that the Dawgs need to look better in their opportunities against elite competition than they have the past couple years. Getting blown out by Clemson or in the SEC championship game is not going to sit well with fans.

With all due respect and I assure you No sarcasm. Please note that I said the Big $$$ donors might get frustrated enough to try to get him fired. Also one of the main things though J realize not the only thing that got Mark Richt fired was not producing a National Title. As for Me personally I would be prone to give Kirby allot more tolerance I imagine than many would. If you fire him who do you Realistically replace him with ?? These things said though his and his staff’s excellent recruiting have put fan expectations through the woof oops roof LOL . But seriously National media also keeps challenging him not about his recruiting abilities but his coaching abilities. I think he’s a great coach. But at some point he is going to have to provide a Natty or Yes there will be people calling for his job. I could be very wrong ( sure wouldn’t be the first time) but I think he could escape the noose for 2021 and 2022 but I think by the conclusion of the 2023 campaign that Yes the seat will be extremely hot. He might slip by and get 2014 but I think he’d be treading on very thin ice. It’s the recruiting success that has him in a Show Us mode. Many fans are starting to say way to many talented players with to few trophies to show. It is what is. Lastly and again I’m not trying to be a wise guy, but a little $$ guy like me don’t mean any thing, but those guys that fly private jets to watch the game in Norte Dame for instance have tremendous political clout. If they get vexed enough they Could potentially get his job . But if that happened the end result could be much worse. I hope This is the year of the Dawg !! The potential is definitely there !! Go Dawgs !!

• rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I think all the talk about getting rid of Kirby is we don't win a national championship this year or next year is just that, talk. Who, besides Saban, has the resume to be the person you would hire? I wouldn't swap Kirby for any other coach in the Nation, Including Saban who is nearing the end of a spectacular career.

Do you really think our "Big Time" doners got to be "Big Time" doners by being ****?

The last word in my previous post that got **** instead of the word is "$tupid".

edited May 2021

Well I can’t say beyond a shadow of a doubt what anyone thinks. But there have been quite a few posts right on this site that have alluded to ultimatums. Mark Richt got canned and he had 2 SEC Championships, 5 SECE Div. Titles, nine seasons where he had 10 or more wins. Had a good Bowl record though there were some losses that definitely should have been wins. I’ve seen quite a few posts here where people comment that it’s past time for a Natty. I’m not saying I wish KS fired. In fact I asked in My second post Who would replace him ? And opined that firing him could be a huge mistake. But I Do believe that if he hasn’t won a Natty in the next few years Yes he MAY start feeling some substantial heat. I’m confident he’s cool as a cucumber for 2021 and 2022 but things MAY start heating up if he still hasn’t got the Big One by conclusion of 2023. He might not. But the Fact is expectations Are extremely high now. More than apt he’s gonna have yet another top 3 not top 5 but top 3 recruiting class. That will ramp the expectations up all the more. Playing devil’s advocate for a moment What does he say to media and fans that ask “All these top 5 and several times #1 recruiting classes. All these coaching staff hires, yet no Natty, Why” ?? What will he be able to say ?? Again and I stress this not wishful thinking on my part. But I do think the pressure to win a Natty is gonna continue to increase until he does. If he does that’ll buy him like 3 + or so years then fans will want another one Not waiting 40 years again. I believe my comments are realistic. But I could be wrong. I’m sure no expert.

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2021

Navydawg...Totally understand what you are saying and coming from even if I don't agree with all of what you said.

My take...yes, Kirby will certainly be in the fans crosshairs if we don't win the SEC East and play for the SEC Championship this season. If we blow that game AGAIN and lose to Bama (the most likely team) then I'd be EXTREMELY upset and frustrated. No matter how these sportswriters here have tried recently to paint the Dawgs 2021 schedule as tougher than it looks, I don't see it at all. After Clemson, we've got a pretty cupcake schedule when you take everything into consideration - both in the talent of the teams we play, their head coaches (several brand new), and the talent and coaching we possess. Give me a break...there is no reason on God's green earth that we shouldn't win the SEC East. Period. And I expect some blowout wins against several of our SEC opponents (or should be). Sorry Brandon Adams, nothing you say can convince me we've got an even semi "tough" SEC schedule.

Yes, Kirby's seat will get noticeably warmer if we don't at LEAST make the playoffs over the next couple of years. I do agree with that. We should be making it semi-consistently, but we can't seem to get past Bama...even though other SEC teams - Ole Miss, Auburn, Texas A&M, and LSU - have all beaten Saban. Win the games you need to win and make the playoffs...that's the way Saban rolls (and Dabo to some extent). As I've said before, Kirby just needs to figure out how to do the same with the elite talent we keep getting.

And as far as a National Championship goes...first step, we start getting to the playoffs then we go from there. Until I see we can pretty consistently MAKE the playoffs then I think us winning a Natty is a wing and a prayer. As much as I hate saying this....I kind of see Kirby and the Dawgs as being a lot like Lincoln Riley and Oklahoma...great teams that fall short and tend to disappoint, and definitely not teams that will consistently win National Championships.