Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia football positioned to add former Clemson cornerback Derion Kendrick

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited May 2021 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football positioned to add former Clemson cornerback Derion Kendrick

The Georgia football secondary might soon be adding another body in the form of former Clemson cornerback Derion Kendrick.

Read the full story here

Comments

• 97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Are we sure we want this guy? Someone who missed multiple games for discipline reasons then got himself booted from his team? Sounds like a lot of potential locker room drama.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

If he helps us win a national title I'll excuse almost any bad behavior...

• navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I hear you 97 GradyDawg . I’m a believer in second chances. BUT if KS does take him there would have to be some Very strict ground rules that if even a minor break he’s gone !! First thing is he’d have to Prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that’s he’d not just better than the guys we already have but Significantly better to get in front of them. Other wise that would be grossly unfair to them already being here and would send a terribly negative message throughout the entire team. He’d have to obey Eagerly any and all rules KS lays out for him Even if those rules go Far Beyond those for the rest of the team. So IF this young man Really understands that this is Indeed a second chance. Then he Must eagerly embrace all the hoops and hurdles that go with a second chance. This is UGA. And UGA and KS needs to make sure that guys know it’s a privilege to play here. Especially a second chance guy. Sure, sure there are other schools like UF, Auburn, TN, GT that would gladly take second chance guys and in their case No Matter what they’ve done if they can get them and stay in the SEC and NCAA rules. But they ain’t UGA !! Go Dawgs !! Be careful here Kirby !! Follow your gut instincts !!

• MLVMLV Posts: 73 ✭✭✭ Junior

Let's give him a shot. Kids do dumb things from time to time. I'm hoping he will be grateful for 2nd chance and mature into a player his new teammates can rely on.

• 87dawg87dawg Posts: 364 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I don't know about this one.

Second chances are great but this is an awfully big stage for that second chance when we have let kids go for things at the same level of bad. I mean, why are you asleep at the wheel with a gun in your lap, not in the glove compartment or under the seat, and marijuana? Asleep with the marijuana is one thing but the added gun and its location are disturbing to me. Not sure why charges for that get dropped because it was there or it wasn't. Was it a misdemeanor ONLY because he fell asleep and didn't get to make it a bigger charge? Maybe he was driving tired, pulled over and fell asleep in what he felt was a bad neighborhood? I don't know but I'd like to. Second chances in the right situation are warranted but they can also happen at DII and you can be thankful to have that chance.

And as was said previously, what about the kids you are recruiting? And what do we forgive in-house?

I want to win as much as anyone but not at any cost. I am The University of Georgia and I am better than "them", in all aspects.

• ftworthdawgftworthdawg Posts: 789 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Vette him, if he checks out. Sign him up. Was the gun legally owned? Kirby is not one to knowingly recruit a person with bad character.

• DougTheWiseDougTheWise Posts: 7 ✭ Freshman

I watched Ohio State film and he didn't seem to be playing all out.

• 97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

This guy, if he does embrace the second chance as others have described, could be an asset. But he also could bring the kind of issues that get in the way of winning a national title. I’ll have to trust the coaching staff with it.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Interesting he's either a really good player, or we are in serious trouble in our secondary. Maybe a twofer. What was he going to do with a gun in his lap? And then falls asleep? Who does that?

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

If you don’t like it you better learn to love it because there’s a good chance it’s happening.

• stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

Will be very disappointed if Kirby does this. He must be feeling the pressure to win now. This will go a long way in covering up the failures in recruiting and development in the secondary that has put him in this position. I guess everyone needs to crank up the spin machines

• tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

For people to post, I'll excuse almost any bad behavior because I want a National Title. That's what is wrong in this society. Excusing bad behavior to justify getting what ever you wanted. No one knows if you add him to the current team, if the bad acts he has done in the past will be done again. He good turn out to be an outstanding citizen or a disruptive force in the locker room. If he signs with UGA, he needs to be kept on a very tight leash, and the first incident that get's him in the coaches dog house, he should be released. I want UGA to become a National Title winner as bad as any one, but I will not excuse bad behavior to see UGA win it all.

• Billy21Billy21 Posts: 194 ✭✭✭ Junior

Jeez... the secondary really must be not developing if UGA is constantly seeking outside opportunities, especially if they have baggage. I do believe in second chances, but why does a college athlete need to carry a weapon at all times?? Between Kirby, Muschamp, and Addae you think the secondary would be consistent even if they are young.

• DawgOnDawgOn Posts: 265 ✭✭✭ Junior

Let he who is without offense throw the first stone. Sometimes the world seems overrun with stone-throwers. Let Kirby coach. If, instead of a stone, he decides to extend an empty hand to help reform a kid's life... It could be a wonderful storyline during a championship run, too.

Hey. if he can run a 4.3 !!!

No seriously, I'm all for second chances, my question would be: did the kid get the proper help he needed. He was either high(fell asleep) while holding a pistol(is he off the drugs and gotten rehab) or(and) he was afraid of someone harming him(who would that be, is he involved with some gang stuff) or he was thinking of hurting someone else(bad relationship with a girl) or himself or both. IF you don't know the answers then you are simply rolling the dice.

I assume CKS knows the details that we don't. Trust Kirby

• rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

For all of you who are saying, in so many words, "we must really be in trouble in the secondary", HELLO, the coaching staff and all knowledgeable fans/onlookers have been saying this since this year's secondary losses to the nfl.

Possessing and carrying a firearm in Georgia is not against the law. In this day and time, a "small amount of marijuana", come on, really??

Thousands of people in GA possess firearms, (legally), but they don't fall asleep in their car with it in their lap. Not the end of the world but speaks more to the kid's state of mind. What was his intent? Firearms are made to kill stuff. Only one person mentioned the pot.