Home Basketball
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Congrats to The Atlanta Hawks for their 4-1 playoff series win against The Knicks..

BillyDawg1BillyDawg1 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
edited June 2021 in Basketball

Well done. It's on to The 76ers, a very tough matchup, but you never know. Trae Young became the first player to score as many as 30 pts in 3 games of a playoff series in Madison Square Garden, he took 100 shots from 100 ft out tonight in scoring 36 pts, but still a note worthy accomplishment.

Comments

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The Hawks destroyed the team from New York. (That’s fun to say out loud.) If you have not followed the series, it was not close. The last two wins were blow outs.

• BillyDawg1BillyDawg1 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2021

The team is 30-12 since McMillan took over as HC. I don't think they'll beat The 76ers, but they have a shot.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sixers star Joel Embiid is probably out for the series. Hawks win again, in five.

I didn't know that, I hope it's nothing serious, just serious enough to keep him out for the series.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Torn meniscus. Officially listed as day-to-day, but not expected to be available for at least two weeks (which would cover the whole series).

• donmedeirosdonmedeiros Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Who'd a thunk all this ? Not me. Maybe coaching makes a difference in the NBA.

Too bad Kawhi Leonard is a west coast guy. If he could be signed this coming off season (UFA) I think the team could compete for a title next season. Something that would help right away is for Trae to stop chucking bricks from 35ft out.Talking about who would have thought, who would have thought Young's weakness would be 3 pt shooting ?

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He's not a terrible 3 point shooter. He's at league average, but he got talked up as the next Steph Curry so anything less is considered a disappointment. His game is making plays off penetration

Nice job Yale. Expectations....they can bedevil us, Fortunately, he is good at the drive and dish and has been surrounded with some very good shooters. Maybe his 3 pt shooting will improve, although at this date....

edited June 2021

If you watch games Trae chucks up far too many shots that are just prayers. I can literally see his eyes get wide before he throws up many of those 35ft heaves. If he is ever going to get his PER up to where it needs to be he's going to have to improve his form on 3 pt shots and stop aimlessly tossing them up from very low percentage range. He is working on his turnovers and fouls, but I don't see any evidence he's working to improve either his form or selection on jump shots.

Trae is a BAD 3 pt shooter because of the combination of hitting a low percentage and taking a lot of them. If he was taking 2 a game, no problem. To my point the top 5 players in most 3 pters made per game shoot 42.1%, 39.1%, 39.1%, 40.8% and 41.9%, Trae attempts a lot of 3s but he only hit on 34.3% of them this season. He has terrible form and he shoots from way outside the line for no apparent reason.

He either needs to get better at them or stop trying so many. If he doesn't work on this area of his game it will always limit his effectiveness as a player.

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree about Trae’s three-point shot selection. I’m not sure what’s the strategy behind 35-40ft shots.

This is one thing I was really good at. I was a better shooter at 35 than I was at 25 because I worked on it till my form was close to flawless. Trae has playground form and he takes low percentage shots when he has plenty of clock to work with. Either work professionally at getting better at 3s or stop taking them. He can be very effective without taking 3 pt attempts. It's the combination of taking a lot of them and not being good at it that lowers his effectiveness.

• BarkingDawgBarkingDawg Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Lakers are out. Golden State is out. Who is left that has championship pedigree. No body. I like the Hawks chances. We better not blink and miss what is happening. They crushed the Nicks and showed plenty of room for improvement. Trey Young controls the tempo of each game and makes his teammates better. I like how he rewards a teammate with an assist after a blocked shot, screen or tough rebound. His shooting percentage is misleading because he makes the big shots and his misses put pressure on the opponent. Clint Capela is awesome in the paint consistently and Bogdonovich stretches the floor consistently. If Collins can step up consistently too then this will be fun. Tip of the cap to Nate McMillan for the transformation this team has undergone since he took over.

edited June 2021

I don't think this Hawks team is ready to compete for a title. Brooklyn for one has the fire power to beat them. I'd love to be proved wrong though.

The move that could make them a front runner next season would be signing Kawhi Leonard who will be an unrestricted free agent. They might even be favored with a starting five of Young, Bogdanovic, Leonard, Hunter and Capela with Huerter being the 6th man.

Agree. This version of the Hawks isn't ready for prime time just yet. Lots of nice pieces that fit together nicely. Need to keep improving though. I hope this post doesn't age well.

edited June 2021

The team needs another star, Kawhi leonard would be a perfect fit. The guy does many things at a high level and he does everything well. I think he's the best on ball defender in The NBA to go with superb mid-range shooting, good passing, good rebounding and high percentage FT shooting. He has also proved to be a superstar with championships on the line. He's been in 2 finals and was the MVP in both.

Embiid is listed as possible for today's game 1 in Philly ( 1 pm). It appears he will play in this series. When, how much and how well he plays might determine the winner.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2021

The only long 3’s that stood out to me were at the end of games, especially game 5. There was some bad blood in that series. Young was just trying to rub salt in their wounds. They were up by 17. Then the Knickerbockers pulled to within 11 and Young went straight to the hoop to secure the game.

“I was a better shooter at 35 than I was at 25 because I worked on it till my form was close to flawless.”

After briefly laughing, I then had to think for a minute to understand how the above could be true. I guess you are 5’4” so your shots from 25 were blocked?