Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia football offseason stays spicy with 3 big mysteries

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited June 2021 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football offseason stays spicy with 3 big mysteries

ATHENS — The football offseason is always filled with unknowns, players pushing themselves to the max, frames filling out with age and maturity.

Read the full story here

Comments

• 1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If Turnage isn't with the team by now, he'll be so far behind he will never see the field. He's hurting no-one but himself..GoDAWGS!

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2021
    1. Blaylock sounds like a very fragile dude. He might be able to get back up to speed and be as good as he once was but I seriously doubt it. WRs with ACL injuries often lead to re-injury (which is what Blaylock did) when they go full speed and attempt to do all the moves and such they did prior to the initial injury. Since he's reinjured the same knee then my doubts are lingering about his effectiveness even if we get him back. I even question whether Pickens will be able to be 100% once he's back. I give Pickens a 60-40 yes, but every one is different.
    2. Turnage is probably gone, and that's ok. He certainly doesn't sound very committed to the 'G'. We don't really need him as much as we need some other folks. We should be fine in the secondary.
    3. Matt and Kirby just need to figure out the OL shuffle and may have to tweak it once the season gets going. We've got the talent there, so I'm not worried.

Bottom line: We've got the easiest SEC schedule in years and the best talent coming together in years for 2021. On to the SEC Championship and playoffs...easy peasy.

• JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,735 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Easy peasy?

I doubt that. Even with a line up of opponents which is to some eyes, going into the season, the easiest schedule in years, this is the SEC. A very good Georgia team has lost before to the likes of a mediocre to bad Georgia Tech, or South Carolina.

I hope nobody on the team or in the coaching rooms sees anything through the easy peasy lens.

Go, Dawgs!

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Jim, it goes without saying that the SEC is a tough conference. I meant the 'easy peasy' comment just as it relates to how tough the SEC schedule COULD be. Thank gosh we don't play in the much tougher West division, right? We'd probably have never even made it to the SEC Championship game having to play through that gauntlet.

All I'm saying is just like Saban does, Kirby needs to win the games he needs to win to make the playoffs. This year sets up better than any other Kirby Smart season, and we need to take advantage of the talent we have and our SEC schedule.

• Billy2131Billy2131 Posts: 153 ✭✭✭ Junior

Boggles my mind that Smart, Luke and the rest of the offensive staff are still trying to figure out who will start come the Clempson game. We have 18 freaking lineman on scholarship and yet UGA doesn't have a solid known starting lineup going into season 6 under Smart.

This Off line room is filled full to the ceiling with All-Americans, All States, All Regions and All County studs and all we have heard since the debacle from the Peach Bowl Off line meltdown... "We don't know who will be the starting 5 off lineman and or where certain players will line up come Clempson".

I'm sure Kirby has a plan to have 5 starters and 3 rotation guys ready come Sept in Charlotte, NC... but should we even be having these huge question marks in year 6 under Kirby? It's a make or break year for Matt Luke to get this off line roster ready to play to win championships not Sugar or Peach bowl wins but SEC and Natty Titles Championships.

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

UGA will go with experience on the OL (both T's) for game 1. By the end of the season I expect both Mims and Jones to be starting. Blaylock will be fine. He is working diligently on rehab and strengthening and healing . Coming back from an ACL is routine these days. If White can push a pile with his churning legs then Blaylock can make any move needed. He will have a full 12 mo of rehab. He will be fine and not needed to be rushed. UGA has good talent and depth at DB. Barring multiple injuries DB is fine.

• navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2021

Some interesting comments and takes by my fellow Dawg fans here. And I appreciate all of them because each were very insightful and calculated by the person commenting . I saw value and solid meaning in each. Here’s my humble opinion. Yes there are question marks, some of which are pretty substantial. I don’t know how far this Dawgs team will be able to go. But I Believe that this is one of if not The best opportunities Kirby and the Dawgs will have had in his time at UGA. Just looking at the team over all and the schedule I Believe there is huge opportunity to win it all. The main thing I would ask of our beloved Dawgs is to leave their very all on the field each and every game. Like that ole saying “play like your hair is on fire and your bleep is catching” !! Win or lose and like all Dawgs fans I’d much rather win, regardless of the outcome I want to hear “ Man them Dawgs played their hearts out”. So whether I end up with a big smile of happiness from a win or a frown of sorrow from a loss, I can accept either as long as I know in my heart that they left all they had on the field.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You can have a room full of 4 star and even 5 star OL. That doesn't mean there is a very good to great LT in the bunch. At this level of competing for a NC, one wrong or weak link can mean the difference in winning it all and just being a good team. Say we are driving down the field with time running out to try to score a TD to beat BAMA and their defense knows we have to pass, do you want a player best suited to be a guard at LT trying to stop one of their great edge rushers? I didn't think so. So, yeh, it's sort of important. Maybe not against Vanderbilt, but against Clemson? Yeh, probably.

For example, every top program has a room full of QB's that were stars in HS. But at this level of competition, you have to have someone who rises above everyone else in that QB room in order to win the Natty. We could be a very good team this year with Stetson Bennet. Probably win the East with him. I just don't think he beats Clemson or BAMA. So, that would put us at roughly, what 11-2? And that probably would knock us out of the playoffs. Not a bad season, actually pretty good by most standards, just not for what we want to accomplish this year.

However, you replace Stetson with JT and now your realistic hopes for a Natty just improved, by most accounts, substantially.

One player can make such a huge difference, if it's between a player who is great and one who is decent.