Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Gus Malzahn plans for national titles at Central Florida, proposed 12-team playoff opens door

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited June 2021 in Article commenting
imageGus Malzahn plans for national titles at Central Florida, proposed 12-team playoff opens door

ATHENS — Former Georgia rival Gus Malzahn is ready to get back to competing for championships and being himself, designing creative game plans and play-calling with flair.

Read the full story here

Comments

• TrippTripp Posts: 512 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Gus many times got a lot out of less while at Auburn. It seemed that the ball always bounced or tipped in the right direction for Gus. No doubt he is a creative guy running the offense and Florida, more particular South Florida is a hotbed for talent. Wouldn't surprise me if he didn't consistently land top 10 recruiting classes there.

• UlbrandtUlbrandt Posts: 8 ✭ Freshman
    edited June 2021

If he couldn't win a national championship when his recruiting peaked at Auburn (he pulled in some very strong classes), not sure how he's going to do so at UCF. Sure, the path to the playoffs is easier not being in the SEC West, but he'll still eventually have to play national powerhouses and elites, something he struggled greatly with while at Auburn.

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Auburn had some good teams when Gus was recruiting against Richt and could cherry pick Georgia. Once he had to recruit against Kirby, it was downhill for Gus.

Kirby will still pull better players out of Florida than what Gus will sign. Gus’ high school offense may play well in a mid major and he may get into the expanded playoffs, but he will be no closer to winning a natty. With so many games, that’s going to take talent AND depth. That’s what separates mid majors from the big boys!

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He could sell Ice cubes to Eskimos.

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2021

For those who don't like Gus or respect him as a head coach just remember...Malzahn has beaten Saban at Bama 3 times which is more than any other head coach. In fact, Saban has an .881 winning percentage against all other SEC coaches while at Bama....89-12....but Saban is only 4-3 against Malzahn.

And honestly, Auburn fired Gus because he couldn't consistently beat Bama.

Look forward to seeing UCF in the future expanded playoffs.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think they fired GUs because he couldn't beat Kirby and UGA. No one is going to beat Saban consistently and as you said he had a better record against Saban than others, that tells me it was a UGA thing.

• ATDATD Posts: 258 ✭✭✭ Junior

“The way we’re going to recruit here,” Malzahn said, “I really believe we’ll win a national championship in the near future.”

Ole Gus never lacked for confidence or an inflated ego. There's definitely a path to the playoffs for UCF in an expanded playoff system. Winning the whole thing? Nah.

• JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,735 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We'll see.

My guess is there are a lot of people who'd rather go to the University of Northeast Disney World than the University of West Gainesville (FL).

All of whom would rather go to college in Athens like normal people.

Go, Dawgs!

• EricDawgs1EricDawgs1 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Do away with the bowl games in the playoffs. Cost too much for fans?to be traveling for 3 possible games

• Wozzo_the_Wonder_DogWozzo_the_Wonder_Dog Posts: 189 ✭✭✭ Junior

I plan on dating multiple supermodels at the same time. I mean I'm excited about the possibility. I don't have the resources, a timetable, or realistic actionable goal, but I'm still planning on it.