Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

College World Series COVID cancellation reminder of 2020 Georgia senior’s lost legacy

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited June 2021 in Article commenting
imageCollege World Series COVID cancellation reminder of 2020 Georgia senior’s lost legacy

ATHENS — The NCAA’s decision to declare the Vanderbilt-North Carolina State baseball game scheduled for Saturday a “no-contest” on account of COVID-19 protocols serves notice the sports world is still working toward a “new normal.”

Read the full story here

Comments

• David1David1 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not all season ticket holders got to see all 3 games in person. Since Kirbys friend Mason was fired from Vandy, I doubt Kirby will take it easy on them. This article could have included last year’s Georgia baseball team too, as it was ranked in the top 5 when the season was canceled, ending their chance to win another college world series. Go Dawgs!!

• khummelkhummel Posts: 801 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That was last year. This year there are highly effective vaccines and new, very favorable NCAA protocol for playing if you've gotten them. This is a not a political issue, but rather a scientific issue, if not a "team" issue. Please, get the dadgum vaccine. Go Dawgs!!

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

For those two NC State players who didn't get vaccinated, my question to them now would be, "was it worth it?" Was it worth the harm done to your team, to rob them of even the opportunity to compete for a championship? And I know their teammates and coaches will "say" all the right things, but deep down inside, you KNOW they are madder than junkyard dogs over a situation that was very likely avoidable. Oh well, in the words of Dandy Don Meredith, "Turn out the lights, the Par-Tee's over."

• DeppDawgDeppDawg Posts: 15 ✭ Freshman
    edited June 2021

Easy answers are so easy aren't they. None of these players are symptomatic. None of them are a danger to themselves or others. But COVID mania rules the day, even now, not because of the science, but in spite of it.

And no, nice try equating to UGA not playing a game, but just assume it was the Natty. Pretty big difference. Why it always has to be about us, who knows.

Just sucks and I think I'll just say tough luck, Wolfpack. They had a magical season (which I did not see coming) and this is a tragedy all the way around.

• JimmyBobJimmyBob Posts: 197 ✭✭✭ Junior

I just skimmed this like I do all typo-ridden garbage written by Mike “Professional Sports Writer” Griffith, but I could tell that this might be in a all time high (er, low?) in his click bait trash portfolio. Amazing how DN has gone from Seth Emerson to Mike Griffith. Sad.

• khummelkhummel Posts: 801 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2021

Don't get me wrong, before and after being vaccinated, I've wondered if there could be unknown future effects of this med that aren't so favorable. But I believe the current science that it could save my life and prevent me from taking others, right now. And I suspect those unknown risks are no greater than what comes with any number of other things I routinely take or do on a daily basis. They certainly pale by comparison to the risks of a football player throwing his body with full force into an oncoming equally brutal force. Or a baseball player willingly standing 60 feet from a hard ball that zips 100 mph by the face. We all make personal choices that might not make sense to others. But we don't live or play in a vacuum... so by definition, it's not just "personal", particularly when it comes to transmissible diseases; and when you're on a team, surely those others deserve very serious consideration, given not only the health but also the playing time protocol implications, however unlikely you think they might be. Go Dawgs!!

• PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I am a healthcare worker. In my department, everyone got vaccinated, but one. The only one not vaccinated is the only one who got covid and is near death, now. We are all exposed to the same people. Coincidence? Hardly. Get vaccinated!

• dazzledawgdazzledawg Posts: 181 ✭✭✭ Junior

I just skimmed this like I do all typo-ridden garbage written by Mike “Professional Sports Writer” Griffith, but I could tell that this might be in a all time high (er, low?) in his click bait trash portfolio. Amazing how DN has gone from Seth Emerson to Mike Griffith. Sad.

If you just skim his articles, how do you know they are all typo-ridden?

That's quite a talent you have there.

• tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I believe if you refuse to get the vaccine you are being selfish. Team sports are played by players that make up a team, the COVIDE protocol possibly cost NC State a baseball championship. The coaches and players season were cut short by two other players who refused the vaccine.