Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

ESPN lays out the 3 breaks Georgia needs to win a national championship in 2021

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited June 2021 in Article commenting
imageESPN lays out the 3 breaks Georgia needs to win a national championship in 2021

Georgia enters the 2021 season as one of the top national title contenders.

Read the full story here

Comments

• BillyDawg1BillyDawg1 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We're still talking about needing breaks to win. If we deserve to win, we won't need devine intervention.

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree with ESPN on what it's going to take to WIN a National Championship. I would also add that the OL needs to gel and prove they can protect Daniels, open holes, and win the line of scrimmage when it really counts. We've got the entire season of average to below average SEC competition to hone the talent and make necessary adjustments.

Now to make it to the SEC Championship game then I'd say all we need to do is win the games we are SUPPOSED to win and we'll pretty easily get there. Beyond that we need to prove ourselves and beat a probable Bama team to get to the playoffs.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

BAMA picked to win it all again(at least by the Sporting News) they lost 6 players in the 1st round of the Draft. Ohio St. picked to finish second, they lost a record 10 players(I believe) to the Draft.

No one is saying they need some breaks. "Hey, BAMA will needs some breaks this year." Where is that article? But UGA does? Seriously?

Ohio St. lost almost their entire starting defense. Anyone saying they need a few breaks? If UGA had done that they would pick us to not finish in the top 20. But they pick Ohio St to lose to BAMA (I suppose) in the NC game. We've had multi year top 5 recruiting classes. If we can't reload and make a run at the title then something is seriously wrong with the coaching. Ohio St can lose their 2 defensive ends, a tackle, 2 linebackers and a CB and still get picked 2nd. Oh, yeh and a 1st round QB. Someone(s) believes in their process(coaching ) a lot more so than at UGA. Hummm!

This year isn't even a reloading type year. But that's the respect we're not going to get, until we win a Championship.

1st round projected QB, seasoned RB's, 4 and 5 star O-Linemen all across the board, Arik Gilbert, Burton, Jackson, Washington, and a host of other productive receivers last year, but to them we lose Pickens and we're doomed, even though we will have the best D-Line we've had in some time and we're loaded at the edge and at linebacker. . A transfer safety? and a baller at the star position.? But lets cross our fingers and pray! Sheesh!

• WCHWCH Posts: 474 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Is Bill Connelly serious? We've got, one of the, if not the best, QB in the nation, a stable of receivers second to none, five ball carriers who would start on any team in the country, a defensive line that's the best in the nation, linebackers who can stuff the run and QB and defensive backs that tackle and cover. One of which is an All-American. Then, let's go to special teams. Kick-offs that go out of the end zone. We have speed on the return team, accuracy and distance with field goals, punts that go 40 to 60 yards when not shanked, and let's not forget our coaching staff. We also have an offensive line that has the talent and size. All they need to do is mature and gel. We have everything in place to have a great season and win another natty. Go Dawgs!!!

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

UGA has a chance to compete and win every game on their schedule. In addition they have the ability to line up and compete with anyone they would play in the post season IF they remain healthy (already -1 there) with their stars/leaders and especially at QB. Do all the Top 5 programs get this kind of scrutiny and analysis each year? UGA just seems to get more and have more doubters.

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2021

Seems many of the comments here echo a common theme....frustration among Dawg fans that the media and others don't take the Dawgs very seriously in making a run for a National Championship EVEN IF we've got the best team yet put together by Kirby. Reason? We keep falling short year after year...until the Dawgs PROVE they can win a Natty and show some consistency in making the playoffs (will be easy when we get to 12 teams....the hard part will be finishing the drill at that point) and win a Natty once in a blue moon then there will continue to be naysayers and doubters.

Who can blame them?

When Bama - after losing multiple elite players to the draft - has to reload, rebuild, bring in new coaches and some years start from scratch....yet still are favored to win it all AGAIN in 2021!!

The Dawgs play in the weak SEC East and should cruise to the SEC Championship....but will they? And if we do can we win the SEC Championship? Can we prove we belong in the playoffs?

Yes, the pressure will be on to finish the drill in 2021...

• DawgCrazy76DawgCrazy76 Posts: 482 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

😎Tenacity...

• JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Personally I love the negativity from the national press. It's the anti-RatPoison.

That said, we have tons of talent but no idea yet what kind of team we'll have. That's not me disparaging the Dawgs. If anything I'm a bit on the Disney Dawg side of the equation, but I also have a fair helping of the great Larry Munson's programing stored deep in my DNA.

Anybody thinking we can just cruise past teams such as Kentucky is missing the obvious. Much less Clemson.

Their game against our Dawgs is going to be every opponent's Super Bowl. Our path is not easy.

It's going to be interesting (as are all seasons). I'm hopeful of course (as I always am). Everything is still unknown. By mid January my crystal ball will be very accurate. Now it's like the black eight ball gizmo saying Ask Again Later.

Go, Dawgs!

I think the formula for winning the NC this season is to just boat race teams. That seems to be the formula the past few years. Just bull rush teams with such a prodigious offense that if they can't match your 40-50 points they are going to lose. Period! I believe we have the team to do that with this year. To be like(not saying the same) an LSU with Joe Burrow or BAMA last year with Jones.

Those teams wanted to score and score quickly. "We don't care how much you score, we will outscore you," seemed to be their mindset. That's just who we are.

Perhaps one of the most amazing things I've ever seen in football was when Clemson came out in the 1st quarter of the NC game against LSU and were playing with their hair on fire. They kicked LSU in the teeth with a relentless defense and took the early lead. Most teams would have succumbed to the early onslaught and figured it just wasn't going to be their night.

But LSU knew something about themselves. They knew in their hearts no team was going to keep them from scoring and by half-time the pendulum had swung all the way over to LSU's side and I knew the game was over at that point. Now was it? Of course not, technically, but Clemson had delivered everything they had in the first 30 minutes and it was overcome seemingly in just 2-3 possessions by LSU in the 2nd quarter. BY the end of the 1st half Clemson, I believe, knew in their hearts that LSU was the best team and they wouldn't be denied no matter what.

I hope we develop that same mindset. "No one can stop us". To add to that, our defense is not some run-of-the mill defense that the offense has to carry. Our defense should be as good, if not better than ever, and what that means is we're getting the ball back to the offense quickly. We just need to lengthen the game on our part by scoring quickly.,

Every 8:00 minute scoring drive will do nothing except cost us points. This year we should be able to score in 4-6 plays a lot of the time. Score quickly and get the ball back and score again.

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

LOL, that picture of JT is amusing. It's the type of picture that would be titled "Pictures taken just before tragic sports accident"

So, you don't think we should score fast and often????? LOL!