Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

What you need to know about UGA and the NIL bill that begins on Thursday

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited June 2021 in Article commenting
imageWhat you need to know about UGA and the NIL bill that begins on Thursday

Starting Thursday, Georgia players seem poised to cash in on the state's Name, Image and Likeness bill.

Read the full story here

Comments

• dazzledawgdazzledawg Posts: 181 ✭✭✭ Junior

In other words this is confirmation that college sports are professional minor leagues for the NFL, NBA, MLB, etc.

Stop sugar coating the crap in these political bills and go ahead and make it a law that college athletes are no longer amateur athletes and are in fact paid professionals because that's what they are now. At least the one's that are talented enough to warrant being paid more than they already receive.

It just makes me wonder about the effort of the guys on the team that don't get to profit off of their image.

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2021

NIL along with the transfer portal and immediate playing eligibility for those who use it will create an even more competitive recruiting environment for all teams. Basically, Kirby's job just got a lot tougher, and the best days of Kirby's recruiting era may be behind him...only time will tell.

• khummelkhummel Posts: 801 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2021

I couldn't care less about the commercialization of college sports... I just want to watch and read about what's happening on the field and scoreboard. Maybe that's too simplistic, since I'd be mighty upset if it drastically changes the past time I've so thoroughly enjoyed for more than 5 decades. Go Dawgs!!

• stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

Unfortunately college football as we know it is no longer because of the transfer portal and the NIL. There are going to be lots of programs that will cheat and the likelihood of getting caught is about zero. While the rules say you cannot recruit a player not in the portal, there are lots of ways to communicate with a player on some other team’s active that you have slot for him. Some coaches believe this is already happening. The area of NIL is even more murky. It will be even harder to police and frankly there are not the resources to do so. The schools with the most affluent alumni could have or will have a huge advantage.