Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

ESPN analyst throws shade at UGA’s football schedule

2»

Comments

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2021

Well, looks like I ruffled some feathers with my comments earlier. Well, the truth hurts boys. If anyone seriously thinks the Dawgs don't have a much easier path to the SEC Championship & playoffs most years by playing in the SEC East than ANY team in the West I'd love to see them prove it. And this year is the easiest SEC schedule that Kirby has faced in 6 seasons. The Dawgs not making it to the SEC Championship game in 2021 would be a MAJOR and utterly embarrassing outcome. I'll certainly take beating Clemson or even losing in a good close game against them and then hammering Bama in the Championship! Wouldn't you rather beat Bama if you had to choose between beating Clemson or Bama? But I think she might be right in saying that we beat Clemson and end up losing in the SEC Championship then we may certainly still be in the playoffs with one loss. That will probably depend on how the Big 12 Champ ends the regular season.

Even CBS Sports has the Dawgs at #12 (out of 14 teams) in their SEC strength-of-schedule rankings for 2021. Heck, we play 5 of the Top 6 teams that have the toughest schedules in the SEC, so there's a decent chance at least a few of them will be banged up and worse for wear. Arkansas has the toughest schedule in the nation of all teams!

• JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Strength of schedule can be ascertained at the end of the season.

Talking heads on ESPN aren't supposed to know much, and don't, but even they know all they're doing is guessing.

Go, Dawgs!

• ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 519 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

She really dropped shade on Florida if you ask me.

She is just looking for attention if you ask me. Also she has no first hand knowledge of the SEC. Its like giving an "expert" opinion on a food that you have never tried or something. She has never even worked or lived in any SEC market. Plus Win or lose, Clemson and UGA played each other and that counts in schedule strength and throw in an SEC championship win and I do not see what she is talking about. Without the SEC championship win, none of this matters so it must be factored into any strength of schedule discussion of losing game 1 and still having a playoff shot. Wishful thinking that a 1 loss SEC Champion in UGA would not make the playoffs over a 2nd place Big 12 Championship game loser.

Wishful thinking that a 1 loss SEC Champion in UGA would not make the playoffs over a 2nd place Big 12 Championship game loser.

• Billy21Billy21 Posts: 194 ✭✭✭ Junior

I believe UGA has had their fair share of tough schedules compared to the rest of the NCAA football teams. I think it's obvious in college football that you're going to have a season where it's not going to be gut punching week in and week out. So for her to make an opinion on that, especially being a so called ESPN reporter, tells me that she just wanted to stir the pot and had nothing knowledgeable to say on the DAWGS.

Go do some more homework...

• stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

Just read an interesting article from Pro Football Focus projecting the bowl games. It UGA, as the third best SEC team playing in the Sugar Bowl against Iowa State.

Both UA, ranked as #1, and ATM, ranked #4, made the playoffs along with Clemson, ranked as #2, and OU ranked as #3. I found two things that were not very clear. The first was what happened to OSU? The second was how did UGA end up being the third best SEC team. The only way I could make any sense of this was ATM played UA really tough and lost by 7 or less. ATM looked great in all their other games and ended up with one loss. For UGA, it was a loss to Clemson followed by losing to UA in the SECCG giving them a two loss season.

I think the Clemson game is huge. Winning does a couple of things . It probably knocks Clemson out of the CFP. More importantly it provides a margin of error for the SECCG. By this I mean should UGA play in the championship game and lose in a very competitive game there is still a good chance to make the CFP. Losing to Clemson means the only path to the CFP is to win the SECCG.

• APTDAWGAPTDAWG Posts: 2 ✭ Freshman

Funny! I guess she also thinks that with Clemson's ACC schedule this year, they better beat UGA!

CLEMSON: UGA, SC State, GT, NC ST, BC, Syracuse, Pitt, FSU, L'ville, Conn, WF, USCe.

UGA: Clemson, USCe, Vandy, ARK, AUB, KY, FL, MIZ, TN, Charles So, GT

Congrats to both schools for getting this game scheduled... can't wait.

• PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Yes, UGA's strength of schedule is a bit weak. But they do have Auburn and Florida, after Clemson. Then, in the SECCG, they will likely be playing Bama, which will be ranked probably #1 or #2. Clemson plays the weak ACC and their ACCCG will be against another weak ACC team. If Clemson beats UGA, they will, likely, go undefeated. If the lose to UGA, it will, likely, be their only loss. Sadly, Clemson has probably punched its ticket, ALREADY, to the playoff, without playing a game.

• stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

@MontanaDawg do you really believe the Dawgs are going to hammer Bama?