Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Report: Texas and Oklahoma ask SEC about membership

SystemSystem Posts: 10,451 admin
edited July 2021 in Article commenting
imageReport: Texas and Oklahoma ask SEC about membership

Texas and Oklahoma in the SEC?

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    VenomGAVenomGA Posts: 351 ✭✭✭ Junior

guess IF this DID occur, Alabama and Auburn would be moved to the East.

• Options
    SteveRSteveR Posts: 12 ✭✭ Sophomore

I'm sure Vanderbilt is a fine school on many fronts but SEC football is not one of them. They should vacate their spot and make room for one of these more compatible teams to join the SEC.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Are you kidding me? Is there nothing sacred in college football? This would be a seismic shift in the balance of powers that is already slanted heavily toward the SEC.

• Options
    JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Geographically, should this happen it would make sense if Alabama and Auburn go to the east. Missouri moves to the west to join newcomers Oklahoma and Texas. That results in 8 teams in each division.

Some say that this would mean the SEC would get three or four teams in the 12 team playoff. I’m not so sure. Conference fatigue might become a factor.

• Options
    WildmanSlayerWildmanSlayer Posts: 88 ✭✭✭ Junior

Texas has plenty of Money, and Oklahoma probably has too being oil states, and they both have a greater chance of winning their conference, and getting a playoff invite, just doesn't make any sense to me, why they would want to join a conference that would make it harder for them to win in?

• Options
    VenomGAVenomGA Posts: 351 ✭✭✭ Junior

if place Texas and Oklahoma to the West, along with Missouri but only move Alabama and Auburn to the East, that would be 9 teams in the West and 7 in the East. This won't work.

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The new east would be Georgia, Sc, Vandy, UK, bama, tenn, albarn and fla. The new west would be Arkansas, Lsu, A&M, mizzou, ole miss , miss st, tx and ok. 

• Options
    fanchmanfanchman Posts: 19 ✭ Freshman

If they did this, the SEC should go to a 9-game schedule with 2 rotating cross-conference games. Each team in the east would play the west teams on a 4-year rotation, which is better than we have now,

• Options
    BillyDawg1BillyDawg1 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sure, make us have to beat Oklahoma to get into the playoff. This is a terrible idea in my view. We'd have to get past half of CFB's usual title contenders just to win our conference. This would be about money, I DGAS about the money, I want to win the conference and make the playoff.

• Options
    BillyDawg1BillyDawg1 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As if we don't already have the toughest route to a playoff, I'm not for this at all.

• Options
    dazzledawgdazzledawg Posts: 185 ✭✭✭ Junior

This would be about money, I DGAS about the money, I want to win the conference and make the playoff.

That's funny!!

College football is no longer amateur athletics. The college game is dead and won't be coming back.

It is officially professional sports now with the "money for your image and likeness stuff"

Sad

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    EricDawgs1EricDawgs1 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Nothing wrong with the players making money off their images

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not sure how I feel about that, but I will say that in general , the power of the SEC West and East is lopsided and needs a change.

• Options
    rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I think that's largely true for the power 5 but the lesser BCS schools will affected to a lesser degree. I do think the big guys will poach the top players from the lesser teams. All in all, the top leagues are now "semi-pro" and it will get worse.

• Options
    JbirdawgJbirdawg Posts: 2 ✭ Freshman

Oh hell no. Texas blew up the Big 12 back in the day when they said F U to the rest of the conference and launched the Longhorn Network. Colorado, Mizzou, Nebraska and A&M left. Why? UT arrogance. They have not changed. I truly hope the SEC tells em to pound sand.