Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Matthew Boling @ Olympic Trials

Comments

• donmedeirosdonmedeiros Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Part of my guess about the optimal age of sprinters a bit earlier in this thread was based, in part, on the notion that older runners don't have to compete as often as college kids....they can train/rest/recover more and fresher for their major races. He may well have experienced a good bit of cumulative fatigue from indoor and outdoor seasons. That type of fatigue doesn't go away easily - takes a good amount of time off to recuperate. I hope you are right about rest (after the Trials) to get back closer to "normal".

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DaddyDawg @donmedeiros

My guess is both of you guys are 100% right. He's young. He's tired. He has some things to work on. And he still has an incredibly bright future.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,649 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think it's more that he's competing against grown men. Not one single person in the NCAA 100M championships would have qualified for the US Olympic team. None. It's like college football players vs. veteran NFL All-Pros at that level. Give Boling 4-5 years and he'll might be competitive with the top sprinters. Right now he's just some college kid.

• BillyDawg1BillyDawg1 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

His times aren't improving though, that is an isolated measurment from the level of competition. I agree it doesn't mean he won't have a breakthrough, but it does reflect a lack of progress since high school. DV this all you please, he runs with tension in his body and his mechanics could be better.

Your contention might have some validity. Bolt worked professionally from the beginning, his best times came when he was 23 while Carl Lewis and Michael Johnson peaked at around 30 years old. If you're correct it suggests our best sprinters should bypass college and work in Olympic focused programs.

edited June 2021

Matthew's best outdoor non-wind aided times in the 100 and 200 in high school was what, 10.11 in the 100 and 20.36 in the 200 ? Has he improved on those times? You seem to be agreeing that he might improve more with more singular goal focused training.

• DaddyDawgDaddyDawg Posts: 4 ✭ Freshman

It's hard to improve during the outdoor season after running so many events indoor and then attempting to run the same incredible number of events during the outdoor season (but expanding the 60 m to 100m). Bolling's times are actually getting slower, compared with what he was running earlier in the season, demonstrating the fatigue factor. I don't know of any other college sprinter in his first full year of running college track trying to compete in so many events for his team t/o the year and then hope to compete at his best at the Olympic trials. Laird at LSU didn't even try to compete in the 100m at the Olympic trials, and he was the NCAA champion in the event. Bolling has competed at every opportunity: his best days are ahead of him...

Boling's best times probably are ahead of him. If he lowers his times by much I believe it will be more about cleaning up his mechanics and his body maturing than other factors. I have no info on how our change in track head coach played out, but I would think working with our best prospects in their best events is an important consideration. I've said before I think Matthew's best sprint distance will end up being 200 meters.

I think a good # of sprint coaches (pro coaches, not college coaches) would agree. It would allow more time for training and require fewer meets. Running indoors, then outdoors, then a summer schedule for some is a heck of a load on a young body. Hate for anyone to pass on an education, but to each his/her own. Top sprinters make a nice living.

Matthew could attend college and work with an independant coach, but it would take dedication. I'm wondering if he could stay on the team while limiting himself to fewer specialties ?

• njdawg81njdawg81 Posts: 364 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Up vote for this - and the Computer Science major (same as me)!

• njdawg81njdawg81 Posts: 364 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited June 2021

Haha - '81 for me - Dr. Canfield was my all time favorite teacher* (sorry everyone for the ot).

*Edit - aside from my 7th grade French teacher - but for very different reasons - lol.

• DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

While we are drifting OT a little: My cousin put an article critical of female Olympic track attire {and other sports}, the idea that men’s attire is more modest. I do not think her prudish but probably posted the article more from a feminist perspective.

I opined that hopefully the athletes have some say. She shot this down So….

Any collegiate or Olympic insight into Athletes input into what uniforms they wear?

edited July 2021

I would find it difficult to believe that elite athletes wear anything other than something that is comfortable and ads performance. I think there's a reason sprinters don't race in jeans and tennis shoes.

Not sure what the feminist author is trying to say. Female athletes are trying to look "sexy" or "attractive" ? If they could run faster in gunny sacks I'm pretty sure they would do that. I have not read the article and, now, don't plan to.

• tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wasn't there a European volleyball team that made news this past week boycotting the uniforms they're required to wear? I believe it was beach volleyball, comparing men's to women's