Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Stanford coach calls out Alabama coach Nick Saban for using NIL reference to recruit

SystemSystem Posts: 10,410 admin
edited July 2021 in Article commenting
imageStanford coach calls out Alabama coach Nick Saban for using NIL reference to recruit

ATHENS — Alabama coach Nick Saban has stayed on top in college football by maintaining his edge, and last week in Birmingham that meant throwing down the gauntlet in the form of a not-so-humble brag.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Pandora's box has been opened. Just wait a few years. Coach A says to 5-Star QB recruit: If you come to my school we already have a Corvette dealership offer set up for you, You'll receive a brand new Vette every year and much much more.

Coach-B counters with the same offer from a local Corvette dealership in his state and ups the money even more.

Some of these QB's may even be making more than a rookie NFL third string QB.

Hugh Freeze would still be at Ole Miss if the NIL would've passed 5 years ago. Now it's legal...

• Options
    Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Let's not kid ourselves. We all know that the NIL rule was only implemented to help the non-cheaters, and those who aren't cheating as much, be able to compete with the heavy cheating schools! LOL

And yes, Pandora's box has been opened, I'm afraid.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Awful, just awful.

• Options
    edubbedubb Posts: 54 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited July 2021

All NIL means is boosters can now pay the athletes legally. There are few business deals in the million dollar range that will pay off for the endorser but it will as it has always buy victories on the field. Sort of like a coach leaving a 2000 dollar shotgun at a recruits house in case they wanted to drop by and hunt again sometime.

• Options
    ATDATD Posts: 259 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited July 2021

The destruction of college football is pedal to the metal.

• Options
    BillyDawg1BillyDawg1 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Of course Saban was wrong,he's used every slimy trick he can get away with since he took over The Bama program. The only thing that has changed what he does is to tighten up rules, he clearly doesn't care what people say or think about his methods. The evidence is clear, he almost always comes out on top, what's the lesson here boys and girls ?

• Options

It also challenges teams that aren't top of the heap even more. The rich will get richer and the most aggressive programs like Bama's will win over less aggressive programs.

• Options

I don't really agree with you on why NIL was implimented. The writing was on the wall. Either CFB did this or it would risk courts going even further.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

In theory at least, a QB can go to the highest bidder school, play a year,, threaten to go to another school(a-hum, higher paying deal with greater local endorsements) and rinse and repeat the next season. Imagine the market for a 3rd year QB who had two previous great years under his belt?

It would take some cahunas to do it(be a gun for hire) but don't think it won't happen. This is going to get ****.

Forget coaches having control over star players. It will be like the NFL with the high paid stars calling the shots.

• Options
    Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

GARSH! Who would have ever imagined that a coach would ever use potential NIL money to lure a high school kid?! I'm pretty sure that there isn't a booster anywhere in the country who would EVAH think of offering a nice NIL deal to a recruit.

• Options
    Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I dunno. I really don't have a problem with the NIL deal. Any ole kid can can become influential socially outside of college athletics and make hundreds of thousands, if not millions, a year through endorsements via promotions on their social media page. So to restrict student athletes from doing so as the SEC/NCAA rake in billions off their efforts each year seems unethical/hypocritical, in this day and time at least..... we have to face it, college athletics no longer operates under the same elements of amateurism as it has in the past. This said, I think that the NIL policies along with ever increasing liberalism of transfer policies creates an environment for lots of immoral dealings to go down on the athletes, coaches, AND the boosters ends. It's really like the wild wild west out there. I see both sides, but do believe that a lack of regulation around transfers will be what REALLY makes this the downfall of college football as we know it.

• Options
    Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

One other point I'd make is that this NIL providing an avenue for boosters to effectively compensate athletes for a commitment to their university definitely helps the rich get richer; but not just them.... below is a list of schools you wouldn't expect to be ranked in the "universities with the top 100 richest alumnus".

Admittedly, I'm not the biggest CFB buff; but in caps are ones that may be within a few good recruiting classes of being MUCH MORE relevant and competing for top 10 (ie. routine college football playoff appearances) finishes regularly. I know some surprised me... particularly the one an hour up the road from Athens. If all the boosters opened the check books in order to get more top 100 recruits to their programs (as opposed to them going to the power houses).... we may see the landscape of college football drastically and unexpectedly:

NORTHWESTERN, Duke, Virginia, Vandi, PITT, MINNESOTA, WISCONSIN, MICHIGAN STATE, Illinois, Purdue, Boston College, Indiana, GA TECH!!!!!!!!, Kansas, NEBRASKA, TCU, IOWA, LIBERTY, CINCINATTI, KENTUCKY, Colorado, SYRACUSE, Rutgers, Wake Forest, BAYLOR, Texas Tech, TENNESSEE, ARKANSAS, UTAH, Tulsa.

• Options
    abrellbamaabrellbama Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

Bryce Young hired that agency out of California to handle his NIL business. It's actually several different companies he has endorsements with that are totalling close to $1 mil. Not 1 endorsement.

• Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 369 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I think about the supporting players. I mean the blockers or the special teams or the back-up, who is ready at a moment's notice to step in when needed. You gotta know there is tremendous resentment. They very well could go pro at a position that isn't the headline and be great at their job but they aren't getting paid. I know Smart doesn't like using them but I think back to all our no-name, usually walk on fullbacks that made a huge impact in the games. What about Beck, sitting there as the supposed 2nd string QB, watching his backup get endorsements?

Yes, some guys are and will be stars but college was supposed to be different. I know this is where we are but I hate it. Your pay was your education. The school made money off of you or your likeness because they paid you through education, room and board for that right. If they weren't there then neither would the player be.

It's like the Olympics. They used to be for amateurs only and now it is full of professional, paid athletes. College football was pure. I know that sounds hokey but it was. Now it is basically AAA but with better living conditions.

Vote me down if it makes you feel better about yourself but I hate this situation.

• Options
    Joe31Joe31 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree with much that you say. I don’t love seeing the college game change so much this quickly. On the other hand, I would feel differently if I were an all-American athlete that suffered a career ending injury months before the draft.

As far as backups like Beck, I think he will pull some NIL money in college if he isn’t already. It’s not set in stone that Vandagriff will earn the starting job next year. Beck very well might earn it.

One thing that worries me is how much time are these big money deals taking away from these young men? They already have more than a full load with classes and football. For a guy like Bryce Young, getting close to a million for his deals already, is this creating a time management problem. I mean, even if you are a great athlete you gotta be pretty focused to excel at Quarterback and to earn a degree. I hope young men like Bryce can handle all these responsibilities.

Hopefully most of these high profile athletes with NFL aspirations can learn to handle all of this without sacrificing their education, integrity, and character. Hopefully, this NIL business prepares some of these guys for the cutthroat world the NFL has become and the potential pitfalls of the business world.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

Or maybe he will stay in a good system that has placed their last three QBs in the top two rounds of the draft and try to go three and out.

• Options
    TommyTommy Posts: 15 ✭ Freshman

This is the Sabin we all love. He doesn’t care that schools can’t use the lure of NIL money to recruit. He did it! So what is the SEC or the NCAA going to do? Nothing! It’s done they’re so sorry won’t happen again. They will say oh bye the way did you see SEC media days 2021? Got it on my iPhone. Alabama plucks the best from high schools from every state on the NFL prospects, l’m sure. Those good ole days of alumni openly giving , let us say, Alexander a POS Ford Tempo are long gone. The refs NEVER kill a Tide drive with judgement calls. Refs will call offside on and opponent 3 yards early and not pickup the obvious errant call they did have a ref conference to the Tides avail. The refs are afraid, the SEC, the NCAA will allow the X dynasty free reign to Ride the Tide as long as it last. NIL cute face on the love of money will be the ruin of college sports.

• Options
    EricDawgs1EricDawgs1 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The only folks who don't like this are those Confederates who hate change.