Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Mark Richt: ‘Dabo has done what Nick has done at Alabama .... '

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited August 2021 in Article commenting
imageMark Richt: ‘Dabo has done what Nick has done at Alabama .... '

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Dabo Swinney and his Clemson football program are 2-2 against Alabama and coach Nick Saban in the College Football Playoffs, leading Mark Richt to hold him in the highest regard.

Read the full story here

Comments

• DawggyDawggy Posts: 346 ✭✭✭ Junior

You're dead wrong, Coach Richt. At Bama, Saban has won 6 National titles while playing bruising SEC schedules in an era when, five other SEC teams won their own National Titles, with 2 more playing in the Championship Title Game. Clemson played one other conference team, FSU, that won a National Title while he has been at Clemson. Any record you compare, it ain't even close.

• rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

On first thought, I had a similar reaction to yours but after a little thought I came away with a little different interpretation. I think that the thought from Coach Richt is that Dabo had done in the ACC what Saban has done in the SEC. In reference to your last statement "Any record you compare, it ain't even close" I beg to differ. He is batting .500 against Saban since he has been at Alabama and is the only coach who is even in head to head. When one is even against his opponent, you can't get any closer.

All that being said, for me it's kind of like Lewis Grizzard said of Michigan - Ohio State football rivalry "It's like watching two mules fight over a turnip, who cares?"

• maconexpressmaconexpress Posts: 164 ✭✭✭ Junior

Both coaches are inspiring but Debo's national championship success began when he pull 2 elite QBs from our state. Can he sustain his national championship success with a QB not from the state of Ga? We will see.

• Classof98Classof98 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior

It’s not Dabo’s fault the rest of the ACC stinks. He is 2-2 against Alabama, winning two national titles in the process.

Richt said Dabo is like Saban in that he “has risen to the top”.

That statement is unquestionably true.

• Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2021

@Mike Griffith You have the date wrong. Instead of August 4, should be September 4. You're going to have a few uninformed Dawg fans very disappointed come August 4. 😛

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2021

As annoying as that is, he does have another elite QB recruit ready to take the starting job, this one from California. Not sure how the state that his QB comes from has any bearing on anything.

That being said, I have no interest in defending Swinney. I find him kind of obnoxious. And while it's obviously fair to say he now runs an elite program, putting it in terms of matching what Saban has done is simply not accurate. The championship count alone dispels that notion. Maybe one day he'll catch up, but in keeping with Richt's own point regarding the rest of the ACC trying to catch up to Clemson, it simply cannot be said that Swinney HAS achieved what Saban has. And while it's true that it's not Swinney's fault that the ACC is relatively weak, it's also true that Swinney has never had to compete at the level that Saban has to achieve what he's achieved. So even if he had achieved the same level of success as Saban by now, I just don't see any ignoring the fact that he's consistently had an easier path to that success.

• RedPantsDawgRedPantsDawg Posts: 174 ✭✭✭ Junior

Dabo should send the Richt a fruit basket. His failure to successfully recruit in state talent to play at UGA directly correlates to Clemson's rise. Mr. "Rings Collect Dust" knows a lot about what happens when people get complacent.

• RedPantsDawgRedPantsDawg Posts: 174 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited August 2021

It wasn't just QB's. He pulled a lot of OL and DL players from the state too.

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Clemson's program is built on Georgia players. UGA can reverse that trend by beating Clemson on 9/4.

• tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The statement of Richt's is very true. Dabo is 2-2 against Saban, while Kirby is 0-3. Dabo is dead even, he has won two National Titles playing against Saban, and has lost two National Titles playing against Saban. Kirby's team lost in his only National Title game playing against Saban, when Saban had the foresight to change QB's at halftime, and UGA defenders let The WR of the Tide named Smith beat them for a TD in overtime. You can't win titles in overtime kicking field goals when the opponent scores TD's. Kirby needs to overcome the man named Saban, to win a National Title, but it all starts this year with a man that has beat Saban 2 times out of 4 chances. Can the Dawgs start their title drive by beating Dabo?