Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia transfer Arik Gilbert status among 3 biggest questions entering scrimmage

SystemSystem Posts: 10,477 admin
edited August 2021 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia transfer Arik Gilbert status among 3 biggest questions entering scrimmage

ATHENS — The Georgia football offense will have dynamic look but maybe not exactly like many had expected.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BillyDawg1BillyDawg1 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There is more than a hint about Gilbert's work ethic in that article, I'm starting to worry.

• Options
    LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I did too, at first, then I remembered the previous article featuring Todd Monken.

The coaches' job isn't to make us happy...it's to keep the other coaches guessing.

I know they were both 5 stars, but I'm just not sure you can compare Arik Gilbert to Demetris. As much as I wanted to like DRob, he's a fast guy, but little and couldn't play physical with the SEC DBs.

I didn't watch Gilbert last year, but I just can't imagine him not being able to be worked in, especially given what Monken said in the other article.

My hope is that if people thought Kyle Pitts was something, just wait til they see Washington and Gilbert. I'd love to see them do a crossing route with DBs trying to figure out who to block or cover.

• Options
    DawgCrazy76DawgCrazy76 Posts: 488 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Don't they practice indoors with climate control? Short on DB's stamina is key so is stepping up for all of them. If not it will be a long season for the DL and have LBs in more pass covering schemes. Don't know why[?] Burns and Stevenson left when they were likely to start this season.😎

• Options
    stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

The concern about depth and lack of starting experience as it relates to the secondary will spread to many more position groups next year unless Kirby can devise a plan on how to rotate players. And yes I know just get 3 or 4 TD’s ahead, put in the subs and keep the foot on the gas pedal.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

And Bowers is a max effort guy on every play.. hint hint.

• Options
    BassDawgBassDawg Posts: 125 ✭✭✭ Junior

AG did too much already to prove his talent, work ethic and self worth when he played at LSU, the stats and videos are all there. I think they are using him as their "secret weapon". Smart move coaches we get it!!!

• Options
    LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mike, what do you mean by "limited availability"?

Has he been slowed by injury, came into the system late, and is therefore behind in practice reps?

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thank you @SmartsTheMan. That was exactly my question. Why does a guy in fall camp, an incoming transfer no less, have limited availability and have missed some practices unless he's injured or suspended? I haven't read of either being the case with Gilbert so that sets off a few alarm bells. Things have been extremely quiet regarding him since he transferred; maybe too quiet. I hope there's no issues, but that two-word phrase gives me pause.

• Options
    UGA_Next_DynastyUGA_Next_Dynasty Posts: 2 ✭ Freshman

I love Mike, but this article is pointing out our worries in too much detail. Let's be like Monken and speak of our strengths. We are deep and we will be fine. Clemson should be scared if they aren't already. Arik is fine. Sedrick is fine. Our secondary is fine ( and deeper than one would think from reading this). Go Dawgs!

• Options
    bobebobe Posts: 203 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    SWDawg68SWDawg68 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hey Mike - how long did it take for you to write this, 5 minutes.

I guess if you DON'T read the boards everyday, this makes complete sense and it is "deep thoughts".

How about some actual answers to those questions, oh, but wait we need to have the first scrimmage and game. C'mon man, you are better than this.

NEXT!

• Options
    SWDawg68SWDawg68 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

NOPE!!!!

That is not what it is implying to me, it is "He chose to be a wide receiver and they wanted him at TE!

They are choosing to say it is stamina, to be able to run all over the field as a WR needs to do for every game and it has limited his availability for field time.

If you are correct, he will not be a factor until mid-season at best, I hope you are wrong!

• Options
    stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

The reports on AG sound similar to those that were coming out of LSU at one time. One can only hope this young man can get his life together so at some point he can play football again. This is beginning to sound like the Markus Depree story.