Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

College football expert Kirk Herbstreit slams Jake Fromm-Justin Fields revisionist history takes

SystemSystem Posts: 10,466 admin
edited August 2021 in Article commenting
imageCollege football expert Kirk Herbstreit slams Jake Fromm-Justin Fields revisionist history takes

College football analyst Kirk Herbstreit has had a lot to say about the Georgia football quarterback situation over the years as Kirby Smart has turned the Bulldogs into annual title contenders.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

So I guess the statement made by the coaches that all players have to fight for their playing time doesn’t apply to QB’s. I guess these reporters never heard of Kelly Bryant or Jalen Hurts. You play the players who give you the best chance to win. Any coach who refuses to see that becomes a former coach.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2021

I can’t think of one game a Fromm led UGA team lost that the outcome would have been different with Fields. I do remember Fields’s last play at UGA which was a botched fake punt where he made multiple mistakes. I also remember his last play the next season when he threw an interception on the last offensive play for Ohio State. Please let me know if you think of one. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    WestAshleyDawgWestAshleyDawg Posts: 19 ✭✭ Sophomore

I would have liked to see Fields replace Fromm in the first Auburn contest when Fromm was obviously off his game. It might have made no difference, but at least it would have given the struggling offense a fresh look. Other than that game, Fromm never looked less than in control. Fields always looked a little overwhelmed as a freshman facing SEC talent.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As it turns out, Jake and Justin had virtually identical college careers. If you take Justin's two years at Ohio St and Jakes best two years at UGA(his first two), their numbers are virtually the same. Fields attempts: 579 to Jake's 597; Fields completions: 396 to Jake's 387; Fields TD's: 63 to Jake's 54, Fields yards passing: 5373 to Jake's 5364. Fields Rating: 179 to Jake's 166.

So, far all the hub-bub, it appears that they were almost mirror images of each other. I guess one could argue that Fromm did more with a less talented arm (according to the pros) than Justin did with a more talented arm.

Form just a likeability standpoint, I'd take Jake any day, all things being equal and apparently they almost were.

• Options
    Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

How funny that Bruce Arians said “there are no reasons for any worries about the quarterback position at Georgia for a long time”…. And then two years later Stetson Bennett is trotting out against Alabama. Just ironic how fast things can change in this day and age of transferring at the drop of a dime.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2021

Yeah. It seems there will always be those who talk about Fields like he was this automatic champion who Smart simply wasn't interested in playing. When he transferred to OSU, we got to see what would happen if an elite program with weapons all over the field bent over backwards to accommodate him. The fact that Day never came as close to winning a title with Fields as Smart did with Fromm should have put this argument to rest for good. As it goes on, it is exposing those who never had any interest in a good faith debate on the subject to begin with.

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 380 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Smart should have played Fields in the LSU game when Fromm was clearly struggling. If Saban can bench Hurts, who was a whole lot more accomplished than Fromm, in the National Championship game then surely Smart could have benched Fromm in the LSU game. When he didn't, that told me Fields had no chance of getting meaningful snaps. Kelly Bryant lead Clemson to the NC game in 2017 but that didn't stop Swinney from giving the keys to the kingdom to Lawrence.

Smart flipped Fromm from Bama and undoubtedly had a sense of loyalty to Fromm especially coming off a NC game where a blown coverage blew the game. I really wish Smart would have proposed the Greene/Shockley plan. That may have kept Fields in the program as it did Shockley.

• Options

@E_Roc, I never thought Fields would have automatically brought a championship but he did get OSU into the playoffs both years he was QB1. We've only been once and Fromm was QB1 for 3 years.

I hope they both have long and successful careers although it seems Fromm has a tougher path. If the Bill cut him, I hope the Falcons sign him.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeh, hard to believe the Falcons have Felipe Franks as back up. He has a big arm but never thought he had good leadership or was mentally tough enough. Collège sure is different from the pros.

• Options

Well, that's really only half the picture. When you look at how OSU did against the caliber of opponent Georgia has to get past to get into the playoff, I still don't see much of an argument to be made that OSU, in the end, did any better with Fields than Georgia did with Fromm.

Just to be clear, I'm not interested in bashing Fields (although the way he left did leave a bad taste in my mouth). I do wish he had stayed. I just find the criticism of Smart's handling of the situation to be pretty disingenuous in general - at least at this point, now that the final results are in. I could go on but what's left to say that hasn't been dissected a thousand times over?

• Options

I hear you E_Roc and I think we SEC fans overstate the competition level of our league when it comes to winning one game. The SEC is by far the toughest conference in week to week matchups, but in a one game scenario, Clemson and OSU have proven they can beat the best SEC team. We can't hold it against these other teams because they play in weak conferences especially since OSU with Cardale Jones and Clemson with Deshaun Watson both beat BAMA head to head.

By the way, I did not take it as you're bashing Fields . I'm just thankful he didn't go to Florida or any other SEC school.

• Options
    edited August 2021

I'm just saying, he had a losing playoff record and never won a title. There's no clear evidence that OSU's appearance those two years had more to do with Fields than their schedule. Nor can it be said that Georgia wouldn't have gotten in with the benefit of OSU's schedule. Fields and OSU never had to topple the likes of Bama or that historically good LSU team just to get TO the playoff, so I don't really see that as a fair metric.

• Options
    stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

@KBP actually it was not a blown coverage. You can contribute that to coaching. The corner either did not understand the coverage called or how to execute the coverage called. He was supposed to have jammed and redirected Smith allowing the safety to get over to cover the vertical route. He failed to do this and this caused the safety to be late in coverage and Bama became the NC. The failure to reroute the receiver was a topic of discussion among the coaches who were providing commentary about the game. They could not believe what they saw