Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia football well-positioned to handle Tykee Smith injury due to Latavious Brini

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited August 2021 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football well-positioned to handle Tykee Smith injury due to Latavious Brini

Expectations were high for transfer Tykee Smith. But now Georgia is looking like it will have to rely on Latavious Brini in the opener against Clemson.

Read the full story here

Comments

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've not really been terribly worried about this one. It's bad for depth, obviously, but I did like how Brini played in his last game. If Smith was going to get injured, the timing is at least beneficial. Brini can go into the Clemson preparations knowing what's expected of him and getting the bulk of the first team reps.

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Smith reminds me of Malkom Parrish back in 2017. Parrish also had what was considered a minor foot injury that required surgery, was listed by CKS as "day-to-day," missed an important opening game against ND that we had to wait until game time to find out he wouldn't play, then subsequently missed two more games before returning. I think Smith's injury will be just like this, with Smart keeping us somewhat in suspense until we just don't see Smith dressed out in Charlotte. Then he'll probably miss at least the next week and maybe get on the field for the first SEC game against South Carolina.

• Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited August 2021

Yea, except Malcolm Parrish ended up proving to be not really worth having after all that season. I thought his play stank and that he was the “liability” for ya that year. Let’s hope the same doesn’t go for Smith. Lol

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Brini looked good against 8th ranked , undefeated Cincinnati. What we have learned this spring/summer is if you want to contend for a NC you need to be able to go 3 deep at every position like Alabama does. Hopefully, the UGA players begin to see 1) UGA plays their 2's and 3's. A lot. And 2) IF you want to play for a NC you need to be able to go 3 deep, find your role and develop into a starter. I also hope the UGA players realize it is better to come back for senior year and be a 1st or 2nd rd draft pick than to leave early and be a 5th rd draft choice. Like Alabama player do.

• JimDawg85JimDawg85 Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior

I like it when they can use a rangy linebacker like Anderson at the star position. It opens up a lot of blitz combinations while still having a big, fast guy who can recover and make a tackle should the QB escape the pocket and run. With a big QB like DJ U, it is going to take big guys to get him on the ground.

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2021

I don't remember Malcolm Parrish being 3rd team AA or ranked 41 of the top 100 college players. Can't wait to see Smith in UGA's D. Smith AND Brini will both get A LOT of snaps this season. They should both do well. As for Adam Anderson playing the Star position, I am sure the guy can play just about anywhere but you would think Lanning would want to maximize his opportunities to rush the QB. Pressure will be the key to this game. I keep imagining AA beating the LT around the edge and bearing down on QB DJ Ukeleilei's blind side. If that happens consistently UGA wins.

• navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2021

No Dawgs fan likes to see their players injured. I sure don’t . But these injuries May have a silver lining. IF the Dawgs can get a W on Clemson the vast majority at least as we understand it from the news will be back. Brini looked pretty good in the bowl game. I think he’s a very capable player. This time for the guys now throwed into the fire is Extremely Valuable !! I’m merely parroting what many of you have already said and I fully agree !! In order to make a realistic run at a NC we need to be 2 and 3 deep at pretty much every position. To rotate fresh players in and God forbid if we get more injuries as we get deeper into the season which as we all know is common as the season progresses. Being able to bring another guy in with very little to no drop off in quality of play is absolutely HUGE !! As all Dawgs fans do I really, really want to see a W on this Clemson game. But what I want to see as much maybe even more is extremely Fierce competition from our beloved Dawgs in spite of all these injuries !! I want to see our Dawgs go out there on that field and Really give them Tigers HE Double Hockey Sticks from the first play of the first qtr. to the last play of the fourth qtr. with No Let Up !! I want to see penalties greatly reduced, Especially **** ones. I honestly think and Believe that IF our Dawgs go out and execute and Do these things then they Will get the W. Then it will be a matter of staying focused with the eyes on the prize ( coaches jobs on that in a big way). If we lose the first one Yes I’ll be very disappointed. But if we really, really compete hard and make Clemson EARN the win every step of the way, and I see our Dawgs leave it all on the field then I can much better choke down a L. And just think to myself well Clemson was the better team For Now. But regardless of what we do on that we need to run W’s the whole season and Finally get past the Tide. That will tell us all much better what we have in this Dawgs team than what this first game will. Go Dawgs !! ******Yall please forgive me for being so lengthy !! I’m So ready to see our beloved Dawgs in action !!