Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

What the national media is saying about Georgia football entering the 2021 season

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited August 2021 in Article commenting
imageWhat the national media is saying about Georgia football entering the 2021 season

Georgia football enters the 2021 season with high expectations from the national media.

Read the full story here

Comments

• BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree we could play Bama twice and the same can be said about Clemson. We may have a relatively easy schedule, but it has the potential to get very dicey in the playoffs. Go Dawgs!!!

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

OK, OSU and Clemson almost have a free pass into the CFB playoff. I think those conferences exert pressure to NOT include 2 SEC teams in the final 4. I am not sure the loser of the SECCG should/will make the CFB playoff. Even if it is a 1 loss AL team.

• AutoimmunityAutoimmunity Posts: 2 ✭ Freshman

Only way 1-loss Alabama is left out is if OSU, OK, and Clemson all go 13-0 and win their conferences, with 12-1 UGA winning the SEC. Alabama is too much of a media darling to be left out if there is any debate.

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Even then, I'd have to actually see us survive the inevitable "but Georgia DID lose to..." conversation before I could breathe easy.

• tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The focus shouldn't be if UGA makes the playoffs or even wins the SEC. The main focus should be, to win this Sept 04 game against Clemson. Focus on one opponent each week for 15 weeks and the rest will take care of itself.

• rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I prefer to look at that Bama and Clemson will have to play us twice to win the NC and I think the dicey is for them.

• JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,735 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Exactly so.

In 1980 we just kept winning, sometimes barely winning, sometimes winning by a miracle. It was tremendously fun and exciting. I'm not sure anyone thought we'd win all the marbles. We were underdogs who rose through the ranks a little bit every time we won and somebody else lost. Bet you a nickel Vince Dooley talked only about Saturday's opponent as did the rest of us.

Will we beat Clemson? That's all that matters.

Do, Dawgs!

• stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

JimWallace while I agree with you on where the current focus should be, it has been pointed out to me this game will not impact UGA making the playoffs. To make the playoffs requires winning the SEC. So this game is not as important as some might think.

@Autoimmunity I would tend to agree with you about Alabama. It is not so much Bama being a media darling as it is performance on the field. Bama would have played more top 25 teams than Clemson and OU combined. What is more likely to keep them from the playoffs is not losing to UGA but UGA losing to Clemson and then Bama losing to UGA

• Joe31Joe31 Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What you guys are saying is logical, and I agree. I think the only teams that should even be considered for the playoff without winning their conference should be the loser of the SEC CG, if it’s close and that’s their only loss and there is a spot not filled by an undefeated power five team. But I have about 0% confidence that the committee would rule that way. And I absolutely agree that a one loss AL should get in if their loss is a close GA game. Your right AL plays four ranked teams in the regular season. Well preseason ranked. I think any one loss SEC team SHOULD get in, so long as their loss was close. But I don’t think the committee would agree, especially now that the SEC might not have as many friends. I’m afraid they would do their best to justify picking the conference champs whether they deserve it or not. I don’t think ND goes undefeated, but if they did they should also be considered, even though not a conf. Champ. I also agree with the one game at a time philosophy for our players and coaches. No way to tell what will happen but hopefully we just earn our spot and never look back. As long as we don’t lose more than one game I’ll always believe we earned a spot, and I’ll usually pull for other SEC teams above the other conferences.

I was hammered for writing that Clemson was an important game. The argument was UGA must win the SECCG, a Clemson win would be nice but not necessary. I believed a win would provide a possible alternative route to the playoffs. Writing that not being able to beat Clemson caused me to be concerned about being able to beat LSU, aTm, or Alabama in the SECCG caused more hammering. I wrote this because I believe each of those teams are better than Clemson. During the season these teams will beat each other up with only one making it to Atlanta. I also believe that the West divisional champion will have been more tested than UGA, should they make it to Atlanta.

As for a one loss non conference champion making the playoffs Alabama has already done this and from the number 4 seed, won the National championship. Last year, the #4 seed should have been aTm rather than ND, as I have started previously ND is the most overrated college football team year in and year out of any team in the nation. The problem for aTm was the margin of loss to Bama. So the second best one loss non conference champion in the SEC did not make the playoffs while a one loss non conference champion from the ACC did, ND. Go figure.

• Joe31Joe31 Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah, I apologize if I came off like a stubborn a$$ when we were discussing those two games. I in no way intended to, and I understand the point you’re making about the importance of the Clemson game, being that we must win it to have a prayer for the playoff if we come up short in the SEC CG. I just believe the committee will be apprehensive to put in two SEC teams even if it’s obvious that they should. Yes, they did for Bama in 2017, but like you pointed out, aTm deserved that last spot last year but they instead gave it to Notre Dame. That’s the main reason I feel like we are going to have to win the SEC CG to get in. I admit it is possible to get in otherwise but we would need other teams to perform poorly for the committee to consider us. I just have very little faith in the committee. Even if we beat Clemson and later lose a close SEC CG, and even considering Clemson’s weak schedule, I think they would lean toward giving it to Clemson if their only loss was to us. And I know that doesn’t make sense, I just feel they would try very hard to justify not putting in two SEC schools. I’m so ready for this game!

@Joe31 there is never a need to apologize. You are stating your opinion and that should be respected just as disagreeing with your opinion should equally be respected . ND got in to the playoffs last year because they were ND. Bama dominated them from the opening kickoff. In fact, I had to laugh when the ND kick returner got lit up on the first KO. On all other KO’s, he wisely chose to fair catch. This was no different than when ND played Bama in the BCS era. My thought was welcome to SEC football. BTW this weekly grind is what is going to be a huge surprise for OU and Texas.

I have a little more faith in the committee than you do. Their charge is to select the four best teams. It will be up to the SEC teams to demonstrate on the field that they are two of the four. The starting point is beating Clemson.