Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

College Football Playoff expert: Georgia not among top tier playoff contenders

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited August 2021 in Article commenting
imageCollege Football Playoff expert: Georgia not among top tier playoff contenders

It not hard to make the case that Georgia has been one of the top four programs in the country two -- if not three -- of the past four years.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Dawg01Dawg01 Posts: 53 ✭✭✭ Junior

Not picking on her because she is a woman. Same answer if she were a man. I really do not care what anybody at ESPN thinks - they are wrong more than they are right. "Yawn"

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Her opinion and 8 bits will get her a cup of coffee at McDonald's. Everyone is entitled to an opinion but I would be willing to bet most of the people that visit Dawgnation and read the articles and listen to the podcasts know more about UGA's 2021 football team than Ms. Dinich. So she is taking a shot in the dark that parrots most of the uninformed sports media. Looking forward to how the games actually play out.

• CaptainchipCaptainchip Posts: 13 ✭✭ Sophomore

Where did she play football?

• 1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2021

My reaction to Dinich being considered an expert.... 😂😂😂

• stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

From what Mike shared it seems to be pretty accurate. For the last month plus there have been comment after comment about beating Bama in the SECCG. Equally there have been comment after comment about the need to win the SECCG to be in the playoffs.

To say UGA is second tier after Clemson, OU, OSU, and Bama is currently an accurate assessment as much as it might sting. I believe a step up begins with beating Clemson. I think this is a very important game for many various reasons. Of course when I write this I get hammered with dv. It would seem if you want to be a top tier team you need to beat those teams that are ahead of you.

• Joe31Joe31 Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2021

I can understand and go along with AL, OS, and Clemson being a tier above us. I don’t see why Oklahoma is a tier above GA.

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2021

Yeah, there's no reason OU should be considered on another level compared to us. The closest they've ever come to winning a playoff game was the one they lost to Georgia. Until they do win one, all that can really be said for them in this comparison is that they clearly have an easier path to the playoff. Not exactly a virtue in and of itself.

To a lesser extent, I'd question OSU as well. I mean, I suppose they did win a title 7 years ago, so I can't complain too much. But in the years since then, they haven't achieved any more than Georgia has in the playoffs. But I get that it's going to take a while for the impression of their having win that title to wear off, as it should. I just hope we'll be getting that same nod if/when we get over the hump. It will be interesting to see if we are still placed at the tippy top years after we last won it all as long as we win a playoff game every 5-10 years. I have my doubts, but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If DN is going to continually run stories quoting ESPN “experts”, perhaps include some qualifications as to what exactly makes these “experts” worthy of that moniker. Lord knows Mike nor Conner would qualify as experts even if they did get a paycheck from ESPN. As for Dinich, OU hasn’t even beaten Georgia much less Bama in recent history! Her logic is so obviously flawed and lacking intelligent thought!

• stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

@Joe31 OU is in the top tier because they win their conference. Realize a lot of fans don’t think a lot of the BIG12. Secondly they beat Texas in the Red River Shootout each year. View this as another example of name over team.

• JimDawg85JimDawg85 Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited August 2021

Thanks Mike - I enjoyed your review of the Dinch article, I probably would never have read it. I actually had to read yours twice before I fully appreciated it. I want to know what category FL, AU, and Ole Miss were in. I’m thinking it was the “We wish we were as good as UGA” group.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Winning changes the narrative. She doesn't want to go out on a short limb, I get it. She might fall off her perch. When we win it all, she won't get any kudos for picking UGA to win it. Stay where it's safe Heather. Go with BAMA! That's why they pay you the big bucks!

• zonadawg61zonadawg61 Posts: 410 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Winning cures everything. Criticize the messenger, but nothing written is untrue. Kirby needs to take the next step and there's no one on this earth who lives it more than KS himself. So let's support the man in his quest. I have no doubt he'll get to the top. Once that happens, watch out.

• Joe31Joe31 Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kirby will get us there, just a matter of time. Maybe even this year! I also doubt we will ever get the same consideration as OSU, unless we go on a dynastic tear for a few years. LSU, just recently had one of the most dominate teams I’ve ever seen, but one bad year and they get thrown in with the Bluebloods. Lol. People have a tendency to be fickle, especially when following trends. That doesn’t really bother me though, I just want the team to keep doing what they’ve been doing and good things will happen!

• Trey33Trey33 Posts: 133 ✭✭✭ Junior

Time to stop crying if we want espn’s respect we got to beat bama and it can’t be after saban retires. Respect is earned not given away freely in sports the competitor in me won’t really appreciate a natty unless we go through bama or atleast Lsu

• tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Everyone is an expert and all have an opinion, you can get mad at the messenger, but the message is correct. Until UGA wins at least the SEC 3 out of the next 6 years, don't expect ESPN to show much respect to the Dawgs. Kirby did win the SEC in just his second year, and came up 3 points shy in that years title game. Saban has outcoached his former assistants 23 out of 23 games. The odds of that happening is total dominance. It's happened to Kirby 3 times, One day when the stars align, a former assistant of Sabans will beat him in a head to head matchup. Kirby was hired to do what no head coach has done at Georgia since Vince Dooley. It's well past time to earn the respect that the Dawgs and fans want. The respect could come to the team starting next Saturday. It all depends on what the final score will be. Respect has to be earned, it's not freely given

• PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The picture says it all--the last time we were in the Natty, nobody gave us a chance of getting there at the start of the year. The moral of the story is that prognosticators are nearly always wrong. The hard part is picking who will win, not picking who won't win. That's why they write articles like that---saying mainly who won't win. 129 out of 130 guesses will be right.

• tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

A few things to ponder: Teams that at least win their conference titles are going to be given more respect by the national sports writers. Teams like Ohio State, Oklahoma, Clemson and most years Alabama are the champs from their respective conferences. The one year that the Dawgs won the SEC, Bama still was named to the playoffs because their only loss was to Auburn that year. You can say all you want about OU, Ohio State and Clemson having an easier path to the playoffs because they have no one to worry about in their conferences, but year after year they are crowned their conference champs, and so are sent to the playoffs. For the Dawgs to get to the national playoffs they are going to have to win the SEC title, or at least have a 11-1 record to be considered for it. Making the playoffs 1 year out of 6 isn't showing you deserve much respect. To change the narrative, you just have to do what the late Al Davis said "Just Win Baby". The Dawgs will play Clemson next Saturday on a national stage. If they lose by a close score, say 21-20, you may say, the Dawgs almost won, but the national sports writers will probably think and write, the Dawgs and Kirby still isn't ready for Prime Time. Win or lose, I will stick by the Dawgs, but I'll be pulling for them to win. Go Dawgs!

• ATDATD Posts: 258 ✭✭✭ Junior

Breaking news from Heather Dimwit. Bama, Ohio State, Oklahoma, and Clemson early favorites to make CFB playoffs. Saved you a lot of reading.

• deplorabledawgdeplorabledawg Posts: 361 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wokewad journalists are wrong 99.9% of the time!!