Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

College Football Playoff expert: Georgia not among top tier playoff contenders

2»

Comments

• stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

23-0 is impressive. I think it ends this year. I give Old Miss and Kiffin the best chance. This game will probably be real shootout even though Bama will have an excellent defense. It will come down to can Bama keep up on the scoreboard.

This unfortunately will be the game Saban will need to focus his team. It will sat the stage for Bama to play in the NC. It seems ever year Saban starts a first time quarterback that where they end up.

I think Kirby can get to the playoffs too. It is a matter of taking care of business starting with Clemson. Facing Saban in the National championship game, the advantage could very easily be with Kirby as it is extremely difficult to beat the same team twice in the same season.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Insightful reporters or so called experts are able to see what others can't. Give me the person who picked LSU to win it all the offseason heading into their NC run. I'll listen to them. GIve me the person who predicted the Chiefs would win the SB the offseason before they did it. I'll listen to them.

THe only difference in Heather and any other BAMA, OSU, or Clemson fan is she get's paid to say what virtually everyone else does for free.

• MarkGelbartMarkGelbart Posts: 53 ✭✭ Sophomore

Well, she is not much of an expert.

@reddawg1 actually she is looking at more than just one team which makes her point of view different from the vast majority of posts. You are correct about both winning and Bama being a safe bet. To this point winning the East is nice and gets you a nice bowl game like the Peach or Sugar but not much else.

• SmokeOnTheWaterSmokeOnTheWater Posts: 66 ✭✭ Sophomore

Funny how Mike and Connor choose to highlight an "expert" such as Dinich who has the same credibility as they do instead of Schlabach or similar. I suppose highlighting Schlabach's take on this years UGA team does not fit their anti-UGA agenda.

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well, I'd say Oklahoma is no better than the DAWGS, so I'd put both teams in the same 2nd tier. OU has lost to the Dawgs and blown several games they should have won. Sound familiar?

We will soon know after the Clemson game whether or not the DAWGS will rise to that 1st tier this season.

@MontanaDawg actually OU wins there conference and beats teams that beat the dawgs. I’d say that makes them a little different. It also probably explains why they have been in the playoffs 3 of the last 4 years.

While some have disagreed with me about the importance of the Clemson game, I am under the impression that if you want to move from tier 2 to tier 1, then you need to start beating the tier 1 teams. BTW, I also think it takes more than one season to become a tier 1 team.

• DawggyDawggy Posts: 346 ✭✭✭ Junior

I thought ‘17 was a defining moment for UGA, but it wasn’t. We haven’t been that good since. The worst is, in every year but ‘17, Kirby inexplicably loses to an underdog, exactly like his predecessor. Just as head-scratching losses to bad UF, UT, and SC teams kept splendid Coach Richt teams out of the Big Game, Kirby is having bad losses to UF, SC, and LSU (‘18) keeping his Dawgs out of the CFPs. The Ole Miss loss in ‘16 and Texas in ‘18 were inconsequential, but embarrassing. Kirby is safe at UGA, but he is at a crossroads. If he can’t win it all with this talent of athletes and coaches, when will he?

Go Dawgs! Go Kirby!

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2021

tommielee,

I think it's just kind of a pointless article to have produced. By categorizing the groups as she has, Dinich pretty much acknowledges that certain teams do in fact have a much easier path to the playoff than others. Why, then, should the teams be tiered? Tiering implies superiority. So when one of the main criteria is, apparently, how easy your schedule is, the exercise stops making sense pretty quickly - as evidenced by a team like Oklahoma ending up a whole "tier" above a team like Georgia, which has accomplished more in the playoff than Oklahoma has.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

ESPN interview for sports journalist: Interviewer: Can you pick BAMA to win it all this year? Applicant: Yes, I believe I can. Interviewer: I believe you've got what it takes. Oh, and by the way, who would you rank as the top 3 teams yearly after BAMA? Applicant: My studies and intuition have led me to believe that would be Clemson, Ohio St. and Oklahoma - Interviewer: You truly are amazing. I see a bright future ahead of you. Oh, and one other question for you: Do you believe the United States is a systemically racist nation? - Applicant: Um..............Yes? - Interviewer: You're hired!!!

edited August 2021

@E_Roc Texas and last year UF. What you are saying about OU could easily be said about OSU and Clemson as far as playing in an easy conference. You base your position on UGA vs OU. I assure you when the dawgs win 8 conference championships in a row and are in the playoffs 3 out of 4 years they will be a tier 1 team.

• BassDawgBassDawg Posts: 125 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited August 2021

Two indirect comparisons over the 7- year history of the playoff era. Even putting aside the argument over how accurately that loss to Texas reflected the quality of that Georgia team (3 years ago), that's not much support for placing OU in a whole tier above Georgia.

A beat B and B beat C has never exactly been a reliable basis for directly comparing teams A and C. If you're going to go there, I would have to see a much stronger set of examples to take that argument seriously.

Well, I would certainly hope winning 8 straight SEC titles would put us in the top tier, but that's hardly the same thing as winning Big 12 titles. And if we were to go however long you might suggest without ever winning a playoff game, I would expect the same response I'm giving from fans of a program that has beaten us in the playoff but still ranked below us. But it's kind of hard to argue this point, because it's hard to identify a comparable situation - Georgia somehow coasting to the playoff most years with the help of minimal resistance from its conference, then never winning a playoff game, while another program has to beat the kinds of teams Georgia keeps losing to in the post-season just to get there in the first place. I'm not sure how that scenario would ever play out, so I'm not sure how relevant that hypothetical is.

And just to be clear, I'm not arguing that Georgia should be in that top tier. I've got no problem at all with us having to earn it with one or more national titles. My point is that when a team like Oklahoma is put in that tier, there seems to be an emphasis on how easy a path that team is given in assessing how GOOD that team is, which is pretty hard to take seriously.

The one thing all four teams have in common is they pretty consistently win their conferences. It is something that cannot be said about the teams rated below them.

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2021

I understand what you are saying and probably think this is why OU is considered by this analyst as being in Tier 1. However, winning the Big 12 is easier most years than winning the SEC. We all know that. We did lose to Texas recently and yes, OU did beat Auburn in the '17 Sugar Bowl, and an 8-4 FL team in '20. BUT, OU also got pummeled by LSU in '19, lost to Bama in '18, and lost to the Dawgs in '17. Oklahoma also has lost at least 2 games every season since 2015. I just don't see them as an honest Tier 1 team. I really don't. Especially when you look closely at some of teams they have lost to since 2015 - Houston, Texas (twice), Kansas State (twice), and Iowa State (twice). I also would add that OU has made the playoffs multiple years, BUT they NEVER get past the semis. Does that mean they don't belong in the first place? In my estimation, most times the answer to that question is a resounding YES.

Personally, I am beyond ready to realign the SEC divisions. They are very lopsided. I am hoping we get TX and OU playing in the SEC sooner than 2025-26 or whenever their contract with the Big 12 runs out. My bet is they pay the fine for breaking early with the Big 12, and we realign things within the next couple of years.

• Joe31Joe31 Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It will not surprise me if OU and Texas debut in the SEC before 2025. I’m not saying they will pay the money (although they might), but before long cooler heads will prevail. Many people are upset with the recent turn of events, but if the Big 12 hopes to rebound, isn’t it in their best interest to move on asap? If the Big 12 is done, then what’s the point of dragging anything out just to stick it to OU and Texas?

@MontanaDawg if memory serves me correctly everyone got pummeled by LSU. I would agree with you about the divisions. It does not take much to win the East when compared to the West which goes a long way in explaining why teams from the West win the SECCG.