Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Dawgs face biggest opener ever, but will it also be their best?

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited August 2021 in Article commenting
imageDawgs face biggest opener ever, but will it also be their best?

Georgia and Clemson, both ranked in the Top 5 and considered national championship contenders, meet Saturday in Charlotte.

Read the full story here

Comments

• JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,735 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

One of your best ever, Bill, especially the Clemson rivalry history.

Go, Dawgs!

• SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good read, Bill.

GOOOOODAWGS.

• bogarttadbogarttad Posts: 275 ✭✭✭ Junior

Speaking of the Tony Dorsett era Pittsburgh, I've always found it ironic given the general lack of scheduled games with the Panthers, that Dorsett played his first and his last college games against the Bulldogs.

• DawggyDawggy Posts: 346 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited August 2021

I remember Kirby’s Dawgs telling DN that they watched Gus for a month, telling an assistant after AU hosted UGA that,”we beat the dog crap out of ‘em.” The Dawgs responded by winning the rematch and SEC, and, we’ll beating the bird crap out of AU in the process. Dabo is smarter than that, and his Tigers have been nothing but complimentary. Kirby has plenty from ESPN to keep looping, if he so chooses. If our O-line protects, and opens a few holes, we have a good chance.

Go Dawgs!

• DawggyDawggy Posts: 346 ✭✭✭ Junior

Bill I was also at the ‘82 game, and some of the buzz was about a Tiger LB wishing Herschel got to play, because he had “been dreaming about hitting him. Naturally Herschel knocked the guy out of the game with a ferocious block. After the game, a writer asked Herschel about the block, and all he said was, “I’m just happy I could make his dreams come true.”

• BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Fun article Bill. Like you, I only go back to the 60’s so I’ve missed out on about 70 “openers”. I wonder if any of those games were huge. I’d definitely rank the famous 1965 “flea flicker” upset of Bama way up at the top of the list. I was a clueless freshman at the time and that was my first UGA game. Heck, I thought it was just a big win and a typical Saturday in Athens. BTW….Bama fans are still whining about that game and the winning play. Go Dawgs!!!

• stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

@dawgg it is extremely difficult to defeat a team twice in the same season. The advantage is almost always with the team that lost the first game. This has to do with player motivation and focus, staffs adjusting and failing to adjust.

• David1David1 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I have to respectfully disagree with your assessment of the 1982 opener vs clemson as not living up to the hype. That was my very first Georgia game and in my view and the stadium reaction, it definitely lived up to the hype. Go Dawgs!! Beat clemson

• Classof98Classof98 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior

Good stuff, Bill.

Pollack, playing in the first game of his sophomore season against Clemons (as Lewis Grizzard called them) wasn’t quite yet a star at the time. He was a little-known DE coming off a freshman year in which he played sparingly. His star exploded a couple weeks later in Columbia, South Carolina.

The was no buzz or angst about #47 being out with cramps. Few people even knew who he was.

The Tigers had an offside penalty on a kickoff and had to re-kick. I recall telling my friend, “uh oh, their coverage team is tired now. Look out for a big return”. Fred Gibson proved me right.