Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Buffalo Bills cut Jake Fromm, trio of his former Georgia receivers also put on waivers

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited August 2021 in Article commenting
imageBuffalo Bills cut Jake Fromm, trio of his former Georgia receivers also put on waivers

ATHENS — Former Georgia quarterback Jake Fromm was among several former Bulldogs that were cut as NFL teams trim down to 53-man rosters.

Read the full story here

Comments

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ah, I appreciate the list of all of the players. Simple, but something you don't find often.

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well I shall never pull for Buffalo again then 😤

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've said many times, if you have eligibility left and you're not projected by real experts(not friends and family)going in the 1st 2 rounds, then return and get bigger, stronger, perform better and work on moving up. Sometimes just a few places higher can mean a world of difference in getting paid royally or not.

If you may be on the cusp of the 2nd round, say a higher 3rd round pick, then come back and do what it takes and make it into the 2nd round the next draft. In essence you are betting on yourself by doing so. Some, sadly just want whatever money they can get and let the chips fall where they may.

In Jake's case I don't know what more he could have done other than further solidify his status in UGA lore as a DGD, maybe beat Florida one more time? So much of the next level at QB is pure arm strenth and you either have it or you don't.

From what I read his arm stregth at the combine was very dissapointing to all who were there and it's why his draft value plummeted.

• stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

Looking at the list don’t think there were any real surprises. For all these teams there were just better options. Players need to develop and understand the nfl is a business and teams make business decisions.

@reddawg1 agree with your comment about projected draft rankings. Kirby has far too many players leave who should have stayed if their goal was to play in the NFL. I have had great difficulty in understanding why is this. Yes a coach can ask for a grade on a limited number of juniors each year. In addition to that they should get an honest evaluation from their coaches. It sometimes appears some of those players either did not trust Kirby or did not think another year in the program would significantly change their rankings. If either of these were true it is troubling.

I disagree with you a little bit about Fromm. A quarterback in the NFL had to do two things- know where the ball needs to go and then deliver it. Everything else that is measured is about accomplishing those two things. Players like Brady, Manning, Breeze were more like Fromm than say Wilson or Fields yet they all had very successful careers. They did not have a lot of arm strength or athleticism but could do those two things.

If Daniels can do these he will have a successful NFL career and be a high draft choice. If he cannot unfortunately he will end up like Jake

• WCHWCH Posts: 474 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Jake left Georgia a year too soon. If he'd staid, he might have been a first round draft pick had a great career in the NFL. However, he is a 23 year old millionaire with a great future in Georgia running a business or two, fishing and hunting and making babies. God bless you Jake a DGD!

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't think there's a question about Jake being able to know where to throw, it really is just about the windows closing quicker in the NFL, much quicker than in college. Virtually every D-1 college QB can heave a ball 55 yards in the air. What they have to be able to do in the pros is hit the deep out routes. THose 35-40 yard throws that need serious zip on the ball or they'll be picked off. It seems arm strength maxes out on throwing the bomb at around 60 yards for most QB's; some can approach 70, but realitically when is the last time you saw a ball travel over 60 yards in the air before hitting the receiver? Pretty rare. However, that intermediate throw of 30-40 yards with zip is where Jake took a beating.

When the talent evaluators saw Jake struggle with those throws his stock plummeted, at least from what I remember reading. That''s how a guy that might have figured to go say in the 2nd or 3rd round ends up basically almost not getting picked.

Those pro days can make or break you. And then once you get there, there is always someone new and improved breathing down your neck, who is maybe hungier than you are. Look at all the UGA talent that got cut. You could build a SEC championship team with it. THe NFL is just a different cat, I don't know that most wide-eyed collge kids understand that.If I had a dollar for every 1st round draft QB that turned out to not be right for the NFL, well I could buy a nice steak dinner.

• LamardleeLamardlee Posts: 15 ✭✭ Sophomore

I watched Jake at the combine and unfortunately he really has a far below average NFL arm. His intellect, leadership skills and intangibles could make him a good backup or spot starter in the right system. Nevertheless, he is DGD and I wish him the best in the league and in whatever future interests he pursues.

@reddawg1 I just find it difficult to believe that Jones’s arm strength is greater than Fromm’s. If there is a different it is in timing and anticipation. Fromm was on Alabama’s big board along with Tua. Kirby flipped Fromm which upset a lot of the Bama fans. Jones was a 3* ranked somewhere around 500 in the class. Alabama flipped Jones from KY. He knew he was going to have to wait. He worked hard and developed in a very good college quarterback. Time will tell what type of NFL quarterback he will be.