Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

After one game, this already feels like a special Dawgs season

SystemSystem Posts: 10,460 admin
edited September 2021 in Article commenting
imageAfter one game, this already feels like a special Dawgs season

Let’s pause for a moment to appreciate just how special a defensive performance we saw from the Dawgs Saturday night: Georgia held mighty Clemson to 2 net yards rushing.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Perfect, Bill, simply perfect.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great read as usual Bill! Pointing to what could be a special season for sure...Kudos to our defense and the entire team!

And thanks for the information about the new exhibit.

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

With such a great night of UGA football, two easily overlooked items that made this Dawg proud: the mention on air about Nakobe Dean being a 4.0 engineering student and the class and well spoken manner of Jordan Davis in his interview with Holley Rowe after the game. He has a future in broadcasting after he hangs up the cleats!

• Options
    DawggyDawggy Posts: 346 ✭✭✭ Junior

Yeah, Bill I noticed the Zebras didn't like the Dawgs' DBs "handsy" play, but just like in every Alabama game in the Kirby era, they didn't mind Clemson's mugging of our WRs, particularly the really young receivers like Adonai Mitchell. They will have to get much stronger in the next 90 days, or be too ineffectual to play vs the bigger, better defenses.

• Options
    BillKingBillKing Posts: 62 ✭✭ Sophomore
    edited September 2021

ShoottheHooch I agree with you completely about Dean and Davis. Two DGDs who should make everyone in Bulldog Nation proud.

• Options
    rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The game did have a 1980s feel. JUNKYARD DAWGS

• Options
    budknox310budknox310 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Or when they called a P.I. on us but on that same play, one of the o-linemen put a hand to the face of Nolen Smith. His helmet even got ripped off. But atleast they didn't call the late hit on Dean on the punt. I believe that would of been a unsportsmanlike penalty. Which would of been his 1st, but could've taken some of his aggressiveness away. Which could of hurt later. I'm not worried about Ringo, he is going to be a stud. He just has to trust himself. 1 at the end zone was bad, but the other, was just being tough. I thought uncatchable, but whatever refs. 🤔

GO DAWGS!!!!

• Options
    OldJeepBobOldJeepBob Posts: 71 ✭✭✭ Junior

And Bill, you are old enough to remember this quote, so apropos speaking of the 1980's and Vince Dooley's birthday:

“If we score, we may win. If they never score, we’ll never lose. -Erk. 

T

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great article Bill and it did feel like a typical 1980 season game. I remember numerous “nail biters” that year starting with a 1 point win in Knoxville and followed by cliffhangers against Clemson (4 points), South Carolina (3), Florida (5-run Lindsey run), Ole Miss (7) and Notre Dame (7). That’s 6 games won by a TD or less. I don’t think I can handle a similar season so I pray our offense can score more points and avoid a truckload of close games. Go Dawgs and hopefully it will be magical for all of us starving fans.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good stuff, thank you. I do object to "But an ****, low-scoring win is still a win".

There were some things that did indeed make it **** (numerous penalties and that botched punt return), but I would say that this was definitely one "beautifully Georgia" game that shows that the Georgia method still works even in today's 100+ point games. This was hard hitting, smash-mouth, "old-man" football. Put it this way, if we wind up playing that way against a team with less depth (like our upcoming UAB game), by halftime the players are "done" and beat up and won't be able to stop us.

Now, the problem is that this wouldn't have worked against Bama which once, again, has a freaking NFL team. Any other team though (like the pathetic showing by #2 Oklahoma) and we would've come up with a victory.

• Options
    DAWGS34DAWGS34 Posts: 10 ✭ Freshman

The amazing defense we witnessed was completely offset by the horrible offense we saw and gives me reservations about this team. I am mostly concerned about Moncken and his play calling. I feel like once again we have very talented players and a horrible OC. The insanity of continuing to throw the ball East and Western despite its continuous failure was infuriating to me. Hardly any down field throws. To make it worse, during fist and goal the first two plays were short throws to the side that produced nothing. Then finally a throw to the end zone that resulted in a drop pass. First and goal and we had one throw to the end zone????. Absolutely Maddening!!! Our offense is better than this and they struggled because of the vanilla, pathetic play calling of the OC .

• Options
    rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If you had told any Dawg fan that we would only score 10 points against Clemson, do you think anyone would have believed a win? How about that our offense would only score 3 points? I don't want to hear about how we can't beat (choose the team) with our offense. This is a team game and the points differential when the scoreboard reads "00:00" is the only number that counts. I'm confident that we can pull a repeat of 1980 (remember Florida with less than 2 minutes left, hint "Run Lindsey, Run").

I don't care about style points, I care about the W's.

• Options
    DrO3DrO3 Posts: 2 ✭ Freshman
    edited September 2021

I'm certain I'm not the only long-term Georgia fan who experienced a "bad deja vu" sense as the game unfolded. You will recall a number of big games where the Dawgs came out strong and dominated on the field but were unable to create separation on the scoreboard, allowing the other side to hang around and maintain hope of pulling it out. I won't mention which games I reference but you remember them because they didn't end well. Although Georgia clearly outplayed Clemson throughout, the outcome was still in doubt up until the final first down of our final possession. But someone changed the script and the Dawgs' incredible defense stuffed Clemson's last drive; our offense then ground out the 4 minutes left on the clock running the ball when everyone knew that's what we'd do. The way Georgia finished the game was very encouraging.

We should also remember Clemson has one of the best defensive units in college football, perhaps equalled only by ours. Going into the game, our O-line was a big question mark along with injuries to our top receivers. We were forced to play a quick release short passing game mixed in with runs designed to create enough confusion to allow us to make 4 yards per carry on average. This approach produced zero explosive plays but it was enough. JT Daniels was only asked to be an effective game manager. The guys on our O-line gave JT the few seconds needed to get rid of the ball and complete 73% of his throws and they gave Zamir and the RBs enough space to make some first downs and keep the time of possession about even. Clemson's O-line didn't do so well, as was obvious to any casual fan. Clemson gave up on running the ball almost immediately, opening their big, talented but inexperienced QB up to a nightmarish outing he won't soon forget. All in all, a great way to start our season. There's no reason we should lose a game until the SEC Championship where it's pretty safe to say we'll encounter Alabama once again. We may or may not beat them but we should at least give them a tough game and be rewarded with an invitation to the championship series either way., bad deja vu or not.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You gathered the rosebuds of this game well, as usual, Bill.

What's happening with Podlesny? Asking for a friend. Camarda is phenomenal.

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Good article Bill! Equal and quality of competition dictates how productive an offense is. As the great DC Mickey Andrews (Florida State in the Bowden era) once said " Your Offense don't decide if you get a touchdown, our Defense will". You saw 2 of if not the best defenses in the country last night on the same field, and I don't think we will play another of that caliber all year. The reason we did not get the explosive plays last night is because Clemson's defense did not allow them. I'm not concerned about Monken and the play calling, he was taking what Clemson gave. Clemson played a soft zone and many times dropped 8 back in coverage, nothing was going to go deep. Clemson relied on their defensive speed to contain Georgia's offense.

Our offense will be fine and I think some may have bought in to the un-earned hype about our offense being so explosive. JT will be fine and we will show that we do have a good offense and I'm guessing, when all is said and done, we'll average over 35 points per game for the season.

Great teams find a way to win and that's what our Dawgs did! Time to prepare for the Blazers!

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"considering how many injuries the offensive Dawgs were dealing with — on the line and in the receiving corps — and the very tough Clemson defense they were up against, I don’t think Bulldog Nation needs to be unduly concerned at this point."

Bill, I totally agree.