Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Kirby Smart explains Georgia offensive struggles, receivers lined up wrong, lack of execution

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited September 2021 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart explains Georgia offensive struggles, receivers lined up wrong, lack of execution

ATHENS  —Georgia coach Kirby Smart isn’t looking for pity, or excuses, or any other reasons that might explain why his offense failed to score a touchdown in the 10-3 win over Clemson.

Read the full story here

Comments

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

“We have to take the football players we have and be explosive. It doesn’t matter who is out there. That’s just pity or something. We have to be explosive. We have to get better at it.”

Bingo. Stop whining about which players we don't have on the field right now and make the players we do have grow and execute well. As Kirby said, we didn't execute well offensively in several instances.

It would be simply ashamed to waste such an elite defense in 2021 and not make the playoffs....the offense needs to get their act together and become a high scoring machine!!

GO DAWGS!!

• BillyDawg1BillyDawg1 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2021

I'm sorry but blaming players when the mistakes were all over the offense seems like scapegoating to me. It looks to me more like the staff failed on the offensive side. Too conservative, not enough imagination and too many mistakes.

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If the D didn’t perform to expectations against Clemson, I pity the offenses that go against them when the D does perform to expectations!

• WoodstockDawgWoodstockDawg Posts: 249 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

There’s your offensive answer…. “The way they played us and what our game plan was to protect JT and get the ball out, have some different protections, and some different things,” Smart said “The game plan was to not get in third and longs. We didn’t get in many third and longs. How many sacks did we give up guys? One. Check Clemson’s average (sacks) per game.

This happened. Play it safe 1st game, new line, young receivers, and ride your backs and defense. It will improve. Still very good defense and many easy corrections if you rewatch.

Gooo Dawgs! Great Monday with a win over #3 team in nation. Perspective

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kirby's tough. His expectations are high....no matter how well UGA plays. Plenty of execution mistakes were made by inexperienced players. Had UGA executed well when in the red zone and not been penalized...UGA, IMO, would have won going away. And UGA needs to make those usually easy clutch field goals Pod seems to missing lately.

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2021

Of course the head coach is always going to say that. They could be down to lining up 11 walk-ons and he would probably still say the same thing. And yeah, that's the mentality that you want in your coach. From the fan perspective, it's not whining to simply acknowledge that the starters are the starters for a reason, and when you have to replace (however temporarily) as many as we did with guys who are talented but not yet as far along in their career/development - along with an OL that is still finding its way and having to face an elite defense - it makes a lot of sense that the execution would take a hit.

I'm not here to try to convince anyone that the offense looked great on Saturday, or that it won't have to improve to win the SEC and beyond. Of course it will. But it's also true that it was as effective as it needed to be to beat Clemson. And considering the significant pieces that were missing (or might as well have been) on Saturday, I don't see any denying that it makes the win all the more impressive. And while specific things will certainly need to be worked on to gain the necessary improvements in execution, I think there's an argument to be made that the biggest steps to becoming an elite offense will be simply getting healthy, and building depth in getting those would-be backups some much needed experience.

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2021

Bottom line is gotta get guys healthy and practicing. I am not sold on Burton. Maybe as a #2 or #3 WR. WR's need to be willing blockers at UGA. I hope Gilbert is back soon. He is missing a golden opportunity to be the featured receiver on the field. Hopefully, all the younger guys gain experience and progress over the next 3 gimme games. UGA needs to emphasize mistake and penalty free football. Too many sloppy plays in game 1.

• maconexpressmaconexpress Posts: 164 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited September 2021

No one blame JTD for the offensive struggles but when Stetson Bennett threw those 3 picks against bama, the fans wanted him benched. To Bennett's credit, he at least led the offense to 3 TDs against the national champion alongside the same contributors (Z White, J Cook and J Burton) who played alongside JTD. I think Kirby should get Brock Vandagriff ready for bama. He's mobile and he's a fearless competitor.

I'm pulling for Brock Vandagriff or Stetson Bennett to lead this team! 

@Ddavis0777 "George Pickens, Kearis Jackson and Darnell Washington all played against Bama"

Those receiver had no more impact in the game than the receivers that played against Clemson. Darnell Washington didn't play.

Brock Vandagriff or Stetson Bennett are the way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2021

If you are waiting for Vandagriff you will have to wait until next year. JTD is the best and probably only hope for a UGA NC this year. He moved UGA but penalties and missed opportunities cost them points. UGA was also in the redzone at the end of the game after driving the ball down Clemson's throat for the last 4 mins before victory formation. More points left off the board. Bennett is 3rd or 4th string this year. He will not see the field again as QB1 after last year. Actually Beck is QB2 this year. And maybe QB1 next year. Looks like CKS took a lesson from CNS and is giving out some tough love to certain Dawgs. This is not a democracy.

• Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

George Pickens, Kearis Jackson and Darnell Washington all played against Bama. This is not an apples to apples comparison. Want in one hand…..