Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Development of Jermaine Burton perfectly sums up the state of Georgia’s wide receivers

SystemSystem Posts: 10,540 admin
edited September 2021 in Article commenting
imageDevelopment of Jermaine Burton perfectly sums up the state of Georgia’s wide receivers

Jermaine Burton has battled health issues all offseason. It played a big part in his performance against Clemson

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It seemed a bit odd to me that Kearis Jackson was able to field punts, but not play WR in the Clemson game. Does anyone have an explanation? Go Dawgs and get well soon WRs and TEs.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Nice summary Connor. At this point, all signs seen to be pointing to the offensive improvement that we all want to see as simply being a matter of time.

• Options
    Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I think Kirby kind of hinted that he wasn’t 100% but was able to play a few snaps and they felt the best place he could help us given the shape he’s in was punt returns.

• Options
    JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’d like to hear more about Arian Smith. He was out there—but why were there few, if any, targets? I expected to hear his name more.

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good write up. Of course... now I'm depressed lol. As soon as I saw the McKonkey kid that was smaller than me in college, I knew we had some issues at WR. Once again...

• Options
    Hollowood50Hollowood50 Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

I couldn’t disagree more with your thought on Burton. Anyone who has played football knows that blocking is a want too action. Burton did not give great effort and technique. And he’s not Hurt now if he was he would not be playing. You ignore what Kirby said and create your own narrative. Kirby said they missed blocks and that Burton is not in game shape are at game speed.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2021

That is not a "service dog" just because you put a harness on a dog that says "service dog". Somebody's pet they didn't want to leave home alone. As for Burton, on that 2nd play he whiffed on the block, tripped himself and then tripped again on the turf. Burton moves into WR 3 or 4 when the WR's get healthy. He will be passed up by Mitchell and probably Smith by year end. Burton and Smith both are soft receivers. Burton is always hurt and Smith spent the off season running track instead of lifting to get stronger. They can both contribute. Just not as WR 1 or 2. UGA needs Jackson back. Jackson was in to fair catch punts, save field position and keep special team mistakes to a minimum. Unfortunately he didn't fair catch that punt that Milton lost sight of.

• Options
    Dawgfan1995Dawgfan1995 Posts: 77 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    GardenDawgGardenDawg Posts: 311 ✭✭✭ Junior

We all agree the WR performance was poor, but I am still not sure why we did not exploit some of the positives our players possess. If A. Smith is considered the fastest man in college football where was the jet sweep. Now it may not work well because we cannot get blocking on the outside, but heck give it a chance at least once.

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 834 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Where's the narrative on Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint! He's another guy who showed so much promise before last year's injury. In fact, his size and skills had me as stoked about his return as anyone this season, He looked sharp in the first few plays last Saturday, then limped off the field (and didn't see him much if at all thereafter). And no press/coverage. We need THAT dude healthy and on the field. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2021

OK the Offense should get better, we certainly hope so, when Burton and the receivers mentioned in the comments get 100% healthy, And more experience. But another huge factor will be when we get the “Big O” Darnell Washington back!! With the very pleasant addition of Brock Bowers and with Fitz playing so well ( if he’s not at 100% he sure is managing to down play the injury !!) both the blocking and receiving should get better. I don’t mean to wear out the recording, but this UAB game is Huge in getting better at execution and Confidence building. I just hope and pray no more injuries !! Especially until we can get some of these players up to speed. I think the O is gonna get better and better as the season goes along, I really do. But it would be great if the injury bug would go on an extended vacation !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So, a guy who isn't in game shape gets the start? DId CKS know this before he started him? I assume so. ANd then you run the passes to Cook to his side of the field and ask him to block? If your plan was to just have him block and not catch a pass, then why not bring in a bigger receiver to do the blocking or run the play to the opposite side?

Don't think the passes to Cook were that great anyhow, the defense knew what was coming as all us fans did too. "Oh look there goes Cook in motion!"\

So,forget the play calling, but if you just think the play will work if we can execute it(get some blocking), then having a liability out there in Burton seems shortsided at best, IMO. ANd then after the fact, you single out a guy who isn't in "game shape?" I'm lost for words, well, not completely evidently.

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 834 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He doesn't need to get open (make cuts, etc.) or contort himself in any way to field a punt. If he's smothered by the time the ball gets to him, he can just fair catch it or get away uncontested. If there's an open lane, he can run for a bit and get what he can - might as well, since he's got the ball and the opportunity is there. Doesn't really work like that when lining up as a receiver. So I think it makes sense that someone with experience fielding punts would still be trusted in that position, even though he might not yet be healthy enough to really contribute much in his primary position.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

UAB well aware of our broken receivers....will also soft zone them. I believe the defense again will save the day....not to the extent they did with Clemson..as JT will not have the pressure Clemson brought to bear. I expect some scoring from the Dawgs this tilt....especially the RBs. UGA needs to exploit their defensive backs. I believe UGA can open up a more vertical game. Monken needs to really work on this. The way things are made to look, UGA WRs hobble on and off the field. Burton won't have a Booth to deal with this time. Brock Bowers looks impressive. Arian Smith is still learning but will improve.

Think about it: UGA not at all at full strength still beats #3 Clemson...admittedly the defense won the game....but UAB is not Clemson. UGA should post some points. They have to! GO DAWGS!!!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Watched serveal games over the weekend and saw several either TD's or long pass play where the receiver just outmanned the defender for the football. Pickens may be the only receiver we have who(when healthy) can do that. Hope I'm wrong because I saw only a few catches where the ball wasn't conteded for. Refs seem to be letting defenders get away with murder, except for Nakobe Dean and our db's.

I saw a FSU safety tackle the Notre Dame TE on the goal-line o a pass play and it was not called. I'm talking a tackle.

• Options
    BillyDawg1BillyDawg1 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I pointed out several times over the summer Burton had the lone big game, then averaged just 23 ypg afterward. Of course my observation gained the usual collection of DVs. Our receivers are not developing to become consistent, make of that what you will.