Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart: COVID at ‘highest spike’ in Georgia football locker room, injury update

SystemSystem Posts: 10,410 admin
edited September 2021 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart: COVID at ‘highest spike’ in Georgia football locker room, injury update

ATHENS — The fact Georgia football figures to have a capacity crowd of more than 90,000 at Sanford Stadium on Saturday might make it seem like things are back to normal.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Please help me. Why would anyone not get the vaccine? Thank the Lord my parents were not anti vaxxers when it came to polio and small pox! Is it anti-government types wanting government approval? Makes no sense! People die from the virus, not the vaccine. Could it be that simple? Get vaccinated and let’s get on with our lives and an uninterrupted college football season! I am going to be p****d if selfish anti vaxxers cost the Dawgs an opportunity we have been waiting for for over 40 years!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Makes no sense! People die from the virus, not the vaccine."

Evidently you haven't done your homework. 9,000 deaths reported to VAERS, tens of thousands of serious adverse reactions. Now of course according to Faucci there is nothing to see hear so just shut up and take the jab.

It's not a political thing, many many nurses refusing to take the jab of what is classified as experimental treatment. Do they know something you don't? Are you aware of all the people reporting strokes, heart problems, miscarriages, and a host of other problems immediately after taking the vaccine? What you may have heard, but probably haven't on "mainstream media" is only the tip of the proverbial iceberg.

Now lest you think, I'm antivax, I'm not, I've taken it. Some age groups and certain at risk people would be absolutely foolish to not take it, especailly if you're over obese, which is probably the man co-morbidity.

But It's just not a one size fits all, and we still don't know the long term effects. For college age kids and below, it's about the same risk as dying from the flu. No one that age that I've ever known worries about that. Can it happen? Of course it can, but no one gives up their car keys becasue they might get in a wreck if they drive.

• Options
    SAVDGDSAVDGD Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You lost me when you said "selfish anti-vaxxers".

I personally have been vaccinated, but not after a long hold out to see if there were adverse side effects, and a long conversation with my doctor about it all.

Do what you think is best for you, and stop judging others for their decisions. You don't know their health history, nor what they've been through within the medical system that may have made them jaded.

There's a lot of misinformation out there, but people have every right to not put something into their bodies if they don't want to. If someone would rather take their chances with the virus, that's their decision - not as an American, but as a human.

The unvaccinated aren't hurting anyone by being unvaccinated, anymore than the vaccinated are saving others by being vaccinated. They're both "selfish" decisions. Vaccines save lives of the vaccinated, they reduce hospitalizations and deaths from this and any other virus. But they actually do cause faster mutations in viruses within a population, and they do come with some risks. For me, the risks of the virus outweighed those of the vaccine. Reality hit when I lost a cousin a few years younger than me (31) last week to the virus who was otherwise healthy.

The divide we have is a case where everyone is trying to be "right". Those against the vaccine are trying everything to prove themselves right, and those with the vaccine are doing the same. We live in a time where you can find literally any information to back up your claims.

• Options

100%. I held out for awhile, then noticed all of my friends in the medical field posting about the stats in their hospitals all saying this same thing. Then after losing a cousin in her 30's, I finally talked to my doctor about it, and he said he had lost 5 people from ages 20-30 in the past few weeks, who didn't have underlying conditions. That was the final straw for me. Everything in life is a gamble, there are no perfect solutions here.

• Options
    LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My oldest daughter (22 yo) hasn't been vaccinated, and I understand her concerns are genuine: she isn't a wacko, but wants to be sure. She had COVID in late July and experienced only mild symptoms (101 fever for a day), but she was the only one in our family of 5 who got sick as she is the only one who is unvaxxed.

I've tried to follow any news about it to help her decide to get it.

Dr. Scott Gottlieb comes on CNBC and he is on the board of Pfizer (he was Trump's FDA head until he resigned...probably so he could be put on the boards of Pfizer and Illumina), and he is always very informative. He said something about the virus vs. vaccine that I thought was very interesting: when asked about the natural antibodies vs the protein spike in the vaccine, he was clear that he was talking about Pfizer since he is on the board, but he said that the virus can hide from the natural antibodies, whereas the protein spike in the vaccine is much more resistant than the natural antibodies.

I told my daughter this because she believes that since she has the natural antibodies, that she's protected...actually, no one knows how long this lasts.

I followed the Moderna development last year and was blown away by how effective it seemed, and apparently there is data from a study in Belgium among hospital workers that shows this. In a study of 2,500 hospital workers, the Moderna vaccine produced almost 3 TIMES as many antibodies on average than the Pfizer vaccine.

This actually makes sense to me because nearly all of the people I know who got the Moderna vaccine reported not feeling well after the 2nd shot. I know of NO ONE who felt bad after the Pfizer shot, including my 80ish parents.

The response is what you want to show that your body is building immunity. I didn't feel well the day after our second shot, and my wife actually had a 102.5 fever, with swollen lymph nodes.

It is scary to read the news and see of the young children who are now dying with COVID. I've told my daughter that I am just genuinely concerned for her health.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Loranwhaddayagot

I undestand your concern for your daughter's well being. I have two of my own. My 31 year old has been vaccinated and my 27 year old doesn't want to take it. My wife had Covid back last Christmas, had a very mild fever for two days and lost her sense of smell and taste for a few weeks. She has not been vaccinated, but works at a Dr. Office so you can imagine the pressure she feels from her boss who just regurgitates eveything the FDA, the WHO, Faucci and BIg Pharma spouts.

There is information coming out of Israel,, one of the most vaccinated countries who have already gone through the Delta variant, that the Pfizer vaccine is only effective about 50% of the time agaisnt the Delta as opposed to 90% plus against the earlier alpha/beta strain. Hence more and more break through cases, In fact according to this study, your daughter is more protected serveral times over by her natural immunity having had Covid than with the Pfizer vaccine(not sure about Moderna),. THe antibodies do wane over time but you have B cells or memory cells in your bone marrow that will activate when the virus begins. THe reason people will need vaccine boosters coming soon is because of this waning of antibodies form the vaccine. Natural immunity works better against the Delta variant than the shots. I'm not suggesting you or anyone in your family not take the vaccines, that's your decisions, just letting you know there is a world of info out there if you search it out. Or you can just listen to Faucci and MSNBC-LOL!

THere are several well known physicians who put out Youtube Vids who are speaking out about this. Everything on Mainstream Media will poo-poo natural immunity, you won't hear about any studies that say anything positive that goes against, " just shut up and take the jab."

Everything is politicized, like the campaign against Ivermectin.

• Options

Wish I could give you reassurance on the previous infection. Unfortunately doctors and hospitals aren't measuring or recording those who have been previously infected as it relates to hospital visits, so we don't have accurate numbers on re-infections and the extent of immunity thereof from what my medical friends have told me. So we don't know if the unvaxxed hospitalizations are all people who've never been exposed or if they've had previous infections. I personally only know 1 person (36) who has gotten it more than once, and neither time was any worse than the flu for them.

The question I asked myself was how many people do I know who've had problems with the jab vs. problems with the virus? My older parents got moderna & J&J and neither one of them had any issues with it, same goes for my extended family. My 88 year old grandma had no issues with the J&J. I don't know anyone who's had serious, concerning side effects from the vaccine, but I know a couple who have died from COVID who wouldn't have died from the flu. I know a few who've still gotten COVID even after being vaccinated, but none that went to the hospital.

Age and overall health do matter, but unlike the cold or flu, it's a very unpredictable virus.

• Options

I also wish there was more mainstream info about natural immunity. It would stand to reason that it provides a decent level of protection from severe symptoms at least.