Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Development of Jermaine Burton perfectly sums up the state of Georgia’s wide receivers

2»

Comments

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He doesn't need to get open (make cuts, etc.) or contort himself in any way to field a punt. If he's smothered by the time the ball gets to him, he can just fair catch it or get away uncontested. If there's an open lane, he can run for a bit and get what he can - might as well, since he's got the ball and the opportunity is there. Doesn't really work like that when lining up as a receiver. So I think it makes sense that someone with experience fielding punts would still be trusted in that position, even though he might not yet be healthy enough to really contribute much in his primary position.

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

UAB well aware of our broken receivers....will also soft zone them. I believe the defense again will save the day....not to the extent they did with Clemson..as JT will not have the pressure Clemson brought to bear. I expect some scoring from the Dawgs this tilt....especially the RBs. UGA needs to exploit their defensive backs. I believe UGA can open up a more vertical game. Monken needs to really work on this. The way things are made to look, UGA WRs hobble on and off the field. Burton won't have a Booth to deal with this time. Brock Bowers looks impressive. Arian Smith is still learning but will improve.

Think about it: UGA not at all at full strength still beats #3 Clemson...admittedly the defense won the game....but UAB is not Clemson. UGA should post some points. They have to! GO DAWGS!!!

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Watched serveal games over the weekend and saw several either TD's or long pass play where the receiver just outmanned the defender for the football. Pickens may be the only receiver we have who(when healthy) can do that. Hope I'm wrong because I saw only a few catches where the ball wasn't conteded for. Refs seem to be letting defenders get away with murder, except for Nakobe Dean and our db's.

I saw a FSU safety tackle the Notre Dame TE on the goal-line o a pass play and it was not called. I'm talking a tackle.

• BillyDawg1BillyDawg1 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I pointed out several times over the summer Burton had the lone big game, then averaged just 23 ypg afterward. Of course my observation gained the usual collection of DVs. Our receivers are not developing to become consistent, make of that what you will.

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Most of these comments are great, but is anyone else shocked that the Georgia Football account did not select Jake Camarda as one of our Special Teams players of the week? Smith and Speed had super games but Camarda was so good that even Dabo Swinney called him out as a difference maker. I think Camarda will get strong recognition from the SEC for Special Teams POW; hard to believe our own folks didn't show him that love. Go Dawgs!

• DawgCrazy76DawgCrazy76 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah Jack Camarda was so perfect in putting Clemson's offence in poor field position all game long.😎

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It only took one game into the 2021 season to prove you right! You really know your stuff.

• TrippTripp Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The good news offensively is that we played one of the best defenses in college football our first game out. It exposed our flaws and things that need lots of improvement if we are to compete with Alabama. One thing is for sure, receivers blocking will garner a lot of attention in practice this week. Bowers looked good early on and I think Clemson focused more attention on him after that. Jack-Saint started out good and I hope he takes it to another level soon. Young man has unbelievable potential. I wouldn’t expect CKS to rush any of his questionable or doubtful players back this week. UAB looked good against their level of competition last weekend so I hope the Dawgs go into this game and take care of business. Don’t want any half hearted effort on Saturday allowing UAB to stick around. The Georgia offense needs to go in and put up 50+ and get a lot of guys some quality reps.

• BillyDawg1BillyDawg1 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2021

Kirby mentioned Mckonkey and Johnson's ''body of work'' compared to Blaylock's. Frankly I don't care who's practiced longer, put the guy who can help us win on the field.