Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia coach Kirby Smart could turn to tested QB Stetson Bennett with JT Daniels out

SystemSystem Posts: 10,448 admin
edited September 2021 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia coach Kirby Smart could turn to tested QB Stetson Bennett with JT Daniels out

ATHENS — Stetson Bennett could start at quarterback for Georgia against UAB on Saturday with Kirby Smart in search of a “Plan B” for incumbent JT Daniels.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2021

Mike, I think it's time for all you sports writer guys to just step away from the computer and go outside to play until game time tomorrow....OKAY?

PLEASE?!

Besides, Kirby named Beck as #2 QB. It would be a TOTAL slap-in-the-face to Beck if then Smart starts Bennett. That would be ridiculous and just plain wrong.

Why are we even having this discussion???

• Options
    traildawg51traildawg51 Posts: 46 ✭✭✭ Junior

Give me a break. This article is total crap. I am tired of reading the endless articles here on DawgNation about who is going to start tomorrow. Let it go.... Let it go.....

• Options
    Dogman912Dogman912 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If Kirby starts Stetson Bennett over Carson Beck then he needs to go ahead and leave the University. There's no way that should happen Carson Beck is a better player he has to develop.

• Options
    MickeyRichMickeyRich Posts: 101 ✭✭✭ Junior

Mike,

you are reaching on this one. No way Stetson Bennett should start or even play in this game. In fact Stetson Bennett shouldn’t play another meaningful down for UGA ever again.

Carson should start and when the game is in hand, let Brock get some experience.

But stop with the Stetson talk.

• Options
    RedPantsDawgRedPantsDawg Posts: 175 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    GawgiaboyGawgiaboy Posts: 16 ✭✭ Sophomore

I sure hope he doesn't start Bennett!! Beck or Vandergriff need experience and putting in Bennett is a serious error in judgement. Ridiculous to think Bennett is a starting QB. We had that experiment last year which went horribly wrong!

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

This times 1000. We will find out from KS. If he's got it under wraps, let him reveal it. Stop deciding the depth chart for him. And you guys wonder why it's so hard to talk to Kirby, or nick, or any coach really. You're pulling words from their mouth that hasn't even been said. If JT doesn't play, then that means he needs the rest and we all hope for a speedy recovery. But until KS or UGA releases a statement, LET IT GO!!!!

• Options
    BillyDawg1BillyDawg1 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Should it count if you're tested but don't pass the test ? It seems to me starting the guy who is most likely to take over if JT misses more games would make sense. Get Beck some game experience.

• Options
    BillyDawg1BillyDawg1 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

So it would appear JT is going to be a game time decision. Surprising since Kirby could have said this earlier in the week. Of course some want to believe that Kirby is being smart by this decision as it confuse UAB. When UAB is a- 24, the outcome of the game should not be in question no matter who starts at quarterback.

If we are to believe Kirby then Beck will start if JT does not. Everyone hopes Beck does well and we see a balanced game plan. I would find it difficult to believe that Beck lost QB2 during this week’s practice to Bennett. I do not find it difficult to believe that Bennett took snaps with the 1’s during the week. Kirby still needs a backup quarterback. It is much easier to get Bennett ready than Vandergriff. This is especially true as you are now talking about QB3.

While many fans will moan about Bennett and as a senior he is not the future, he has proven he can both win ballgames and keep UGA competitive. I would remind those with short memories that against Bama Bennett gave the dawgs a half time lead. It was the elite defense that allowed Bama to pull away.

I would say Kirby is fortunate to have the luxury of Bennett setting on the bench should he be needed.

Again this is a win no matter who starts.

• Options
    jrmdvm1jrmdvm1 Posts: 131 ✭✭✭ Junior

I am certain of only one thing...that Kirby ( aided by the opinion(s) of his assistants, especially Coach Monken ) will start the quarterback that he feels will give us the best chance of winning the game. Up until this article, most felt that if JT did not start, the starter would be Carson Beck. Many even felt JT would start and be quickly relieved by Carson. I fully trust the entire coaching staff to have winning the game as it's first priority, and then allow playing time for "development" purposes in a manner that does not jeopardize the first priority. The coaching staff has proved over time that they are able to develop players in this way. For those of you who are totally against Stetson playing, I would like to remind everyone that he was playing reasonably well until the shoulder injury. Yes, it will be great to "develop" Carson, but what would it do to his "development" were this very experienced defense to intercept him several times. I personally expect that if JT cannot play, that Carson will be called upon, but if the coaching staff feels otherwise, I have confidence that they are doing what is best for the team now AND for the future. So, we as fans have to be ready to support whoever is tasked with playing ( at any position!).

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Who from UGA staff has stated that JT will not start?

Smart publicly stated that Beck is his #2 QB..not Bennett. Beck is not Mathis. Beck is practicing well with the #1's and is far more seasoned than Mathis was...IMO. Yes, Bennett is there in the wing if needed. But nowhere have I read JT will not start.

Let's wait til tomorrow as the roster is announced who will start.

• Options
    Joe31Joe31 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@stone, this is a bit off topic but I gotta give credit where credit is due. We debated about the importance of winning the Clemson game and I believe you might be right now. I said it was possible but not probable that UGA could make the playoff if they don’t win the SEC even if they beat Clemson, and you thought different. Well with the way the rest of the acc looked and the way Oklahoma looked I gotta say you are probably right and I was wrong. If GA wins out and plays a close game in the SECCG it would be a travesty to put Clemson in ahead of them! They still have to win out which is no easy task, but I think if our team keeps it’s head right they have the talent to do it.

As far as Bennet or Beck. I think Bennet could definitely start and fit great into our game plan. I really to happy to have Bennet on our bench, he is an asset. But I would rather see what Beck can do and have Bennet there just in case if JT doesn’t go.

• Options
    plrdawgplrdawg Posts: 157 ✭✭✭ Junior

all is click bait,,, to start a debate, when there is really nothing to debate... Starting a controversy when none is really found...Move along, nothing here to discuss

• Options
    stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

@Joe31 the most refreshing thing this week has been to see some in the national media actually look at Clemson and report what they see. Clemson has not been a very good football team for a couple of years now. They really can begin preparing for the playoffs in fall camp because they are looking at having to play two of five possibly teams. It is pretty safe to several of those teams will be Bama, OU and OSU.

It is possible Clemson can go undefeated and win the ACC. They will be given a lot of love by certain members of the media. It is the same kind of love ND gets each year. What the media cannot do is rewrite the record and the loss to UGA.

UGA has given themselves a second route to the playoffs with the victory over Clemson. It is always good to have options.

At this point in the season after one week (laugh) the winner and the loser of the SECCG both should be in the playoffs if they are both 12-1.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Getting Beck some experience against a non-SEC opponent just in case JTD's misses some time later in the season is a no brainer. CKS knows what he is doing. Beck starts.