Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

What to make of Carson Beck’s Georgia football debut

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited September 2021 in Article commenting
imageWhat to make of Carson Beck’s Georgia football debut

Carson Beck didn't get to start for Georgia on Saturday, but he still played a role in the Georgia offense against UAB.

Read the full story here

Comments

• DawggyDawggy Posts: 346 ✭✭✭ Junior

Beck was good. The pick-six was not his fault - the ball nearly hit Edwards (I think) in the head, but he didn't look back in time. We obviously should feel good about our two backups.

• CaptainchipCaptainchip Posts: 13 ✭✭ Sophomore

The writer Curtis Thompson needs to watch the entire game. Brock Vandergrif did play in the 4th quarter. Lazy journalism is a shame. I wonder if he watched the game or just read some highlights and slid an article in at a deadline. Just saying.....

• DawggyDawggy Posts: 346 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Turkeywarrior911Turkeywarrior911 Posts: 5 ✭ Freshman

Respectfully, Brock closed out the game. This article should have said the Assessment of Carson Beck left many fans wonder what Aaron Murray was talking about after the GDay game. Beck struggle to get the ball downfield in his first couple of drives. Bennett on the other hand made GA look like a Natty was right around the corner exploiting the Blazers defense. Beck did come through with a touchdown drive but several throws left WR’s vulnerable to some injury prone hits. If Beck wants to the true #2 QB in the room it seems he has to mature fast in his mental studies as his physical abilities are more than capable of leading a young UGA receiving Corp.

• JimmyBobJimmyBob Posts: 197 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Dogman912Dogman912 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Do you know why it would have been a tall task to send Beck out there? because you don't have him ready Kirby you keep putting in your 27-year-old veteran third string quarterback. For all the good you have done you always seem to find a way to mess up the quarterback position. When you put in the backup quarterback all they do is hand the football off how is he going to be ready to really get some game action? He needs to go ahead and transfer you're wasting his time man.

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You hit a little on the concerns that I thought about when the decision was made to start Bennett yesterday after Beck had been named the #2 QB. First off, Bennett played lights out and had a great game. But Kirby - Monken wouldn't have named Beck the #2 QB if he hadn't earned that designation. There's no reason to even name a #2 if the decision is still up in the air. Bennett comes in and leads the Dawgs on 3 quick TD drives. Then Beck gets in and hands the ball off 3 straight times and we punt. I have to wonder what starting Stetson ahead of Beck did to Beck's psyche and mental game - was Beck just miffed, crushed, out-of-sorts? My guess is yes. And then Beck just gets upstaged majorly, and that couldn't have helped his game at all.

Either Beck or Vandagriff are the future for the Dawgs. Stetson and Daniels are gone at the end of this year. Growth comes from experience. And as a head coach or QB coach you've got to show confidence in the QB you play. I do now understand the thinking behind the Monken - Smart decision to start Bennett, but I wonder about the unintended repercussions to Beck. Maybe we saw some of those repercussions yesterday. I don't know. If Beck had started the game would he have played much better? I don't know that either. Again, you don't name Beck the #2 unless he's earned that designation. But like you said, Beck does need to mature fast in order to lead the Dawgs. I was glad he did get much of the playing time in the 2nd half. Hopefully, Beck will have a great week of practice after getting some game experience under his belt.

I know we all just want the Dawgs to win no matter who plays QB. And I know I'm being nit picky about this issue. I just hope you give a guy like Beck the best opportunity possible to succeed in your program after him putting in the time & effort.

• BassDawgBassDawg Posts: 125 ✭✭✭ Junior

Unfortunately I am thinking Beck will end up being the odd man out. Brock is coming along nicely and should be ready to start next year if JTD goes to NFL (I am not sold yet that he will I think he needs another good year of production to prove NFL status and that would create havoc at the QB position). If BV gets the start then you also have Gunner on board now and the heir apparent to Brock that leaves Beck out. Beck probably needs to hit the transfer portal and go somewhere he can start probably somewhere like South Carolina.

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2021

I generally hear what you're saying, but this stuff about last year's Florida and Alabama games is some pretty obvious revisionist history.

Against Bama, he did have his moments, but overall it really can't be called all that great a performance. He completed less than half his attempts and threw 3 interceptions, 2 of which came in the second half. Typically whenever someone points to that game, it's Bennett getting all the credit for the halftime lead and the defense getting all the blame for the loss. Pretty hard to take seriously.

As for Florida, it wasn't Bennett that got the team out to the 14-0 lead; it was the TEAM that did that. The first play from scrimmage was a 75-yard touchdown run by White. We were up 7-0 before Bennett even attempted a pass. And I'm pretty sure he wasn't involved in the defensive stop, but people want to give him all the credit for the 14-0 lead.

As I always feel the need to do, I'll add the disclaimer that this isn't meant to be an exercise in naysaying Bennett, or even any opposition to mythologizing. If we ever need him to step into a game against an elite opponent and deliver a winning performance, I'd certainly like to believe he could do that. But that doesn't mean we have to act like he already has.

Edit: I fact checked myself and realized the injury came earlier in the Florida game than I thought, so I removed the sentence about his final stats in that game. My larger point remains, though, that people tend to exaggerate his effectiveness in those two games.

• Bigjohnson92Bigjohnson92 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited September 2021

Cost us a shutout. He’s been a dmw since early last year. Not sure why he stuck around honestly with our qb recruiting. Seems like a good kid. But he’s not good enough to unseat Daniels or Bennett or ‘steal the reigns’ from either of the latest recruits. Stetson is the backup. And that ain’t changing. Unless he ends up the starter. He gone end of year and I wish him the best.