Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart updates JT Daniels’ injury, Georgia QB situation, decision to start Stetson Bennett

SystemSystem Posts: 10,534 admin
edited September 2021 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart updates JT Daniels’ injury, Georgia QB situation, decision to start Stetson Bennett

ATHENS — Kirby Smart indicated the Georgia quarterback situation will remain in a state of flux entering the week of preparation leading up to next Saturday’s SEC opener against South Carolina.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    WCHWCH Posts: 479 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Boy was I wrong about Bennett starting. He played great against a team that thought he couldn't throw it outside of his shadow. Beck was shaky at best. He has a way to go and I wish him luck. Hope JT starts against the ****. Great job Stetson! Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There are Allot of things that go on behind the scenes that media and we as fans just don’t know. And many times better yet Most times don’t necessarily Need to know. Like I said in a comment well Before the game, I fully understand and appreciate that media and we as fans Want to know all we can about the team we support and cheer for. But Kirby Smart was hired to win as many games and get to the highest levels of success he can get the Dawgs to. These decisions are ultimately His. He can listen to and evaluate advice from his coaching staff. But in the end he’s gonna do what he thinks is best. People use Saban as a talking point allot of times. Well Nick Saban is gonna do what he thinks is best for his team’s probability to win. And I’ve never heard of Nick Saban giving media or fans much attention when it comes to coaching decisions. Same for Kirby Smart. It all worked out pretty well. Beck DID get in the game a pretty good bit. He is pretty much Brand New and very green. He did really well in moments and not so well in other moments. About what you would expect from a very green inexperienced QB. All told he did more good than he did bad. And he Will learn and he Will get better. Look we have key players out. We have other key players, playing at less than 100%. The Dawgs put the UAB team in a grossly inferior position. But coming into the game on paper the UAB team posed some what of a threat. Kirby coached and made the decisions to Win the game. Had he started Beck and stayed with Beck and we had allot of turn overs to help put fire in the UAB team’s belly even if it wasn’t an upset loss if they made the Dawgs work much, much harder we could have had more injuries. And the final score could have been much, much closer. As it worked out a ton of our players got snaps. Beck got plenty of significant snaps. And to top this all off comes to find out KS had discussed exactly what he was gonna do with Daniels, Beck, and Stet earlier in the week !! So all the Oh No Beck might transfer talk is just that Talk. If Beck transfers now it’ll be for other reasons than the order that he came into This game and the amount of reps he got in This game. I don’t think Beck is nearly as easy to get offended as some fans. I think he’s loyal to his team. And I would be shocked to see him transfer at this juncture Especially for the reasons that some fans have espoused. In closing I think Kirby is doing a fine job. I think he is By Far more qualified to be the Head Coach and the main face of Dawgs football than Any media or angry fans. I believe that Kirby has the capability and will do his absolute best to take the Dawgs to the highest heights possible and I think he will do it His Way . Not based on random speculation and conjecture of media and fans. Go Dawgs !! Another W in the books !! Just stay focused on each game One at a time. The future will take care of the things of its self.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ya know, Stetson does have a calming affect......50 points of calming. I do believe UAB underestimated him from previous film. He popped a 73-yarder to Bowers. It did sail some but he was wide open. UAB was openly stunned. Stets was throwing all over the field pretty much right on target. Then Beck yes was jittery at first but settled into his game. I think Carson will hang with UGA. Vandagriff handed off....s.o.p. with the youngsters. He too has a very bright future.

Jt opens against SC? I think so. He should top 300 yds passing. May not happen if UGA builds a big lead early. Beck and Vandagriff will then see field time. The way it should be.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2021

I'll happily acknowledge that Bennett played great in this game. And now that the dust has settled, I'll admit I may have overreacted to the news that he would be starting. It was just so jarring. Why identify a guy as the #2 quarterback only to pass him over at the very first opportunity for him to step in as the backup? It just makes no sense. But ultimately it doesn't matter what Smart tells the press, as long as he makes a good decision in the end and handles it appropriately with the players. And it's kind of hard to argue with the end result here. My main concern wasn't so much who started, but whether Beck would get a sufficient opportunity to play. I think it could have been handed over to him for good sooner than it was, but overall I'm not mad about it.

The article touches on something that occurred to me at some point along the way and made it a lot easier to accept this decision. The offense needs every opportunity it can get to gel before the schedule gets more difficult, and going with the more experienced backup quarterback in this situation probably did the most good for the development of the whole offense. Not that Beck's development isn't important, but it wasn't the most pressing issue today. That being said, in future blowouts (here's to many) I do hope that Beck is the first backup in for at least some of them. We know what we have in Bennett, and once the offense gets its feet under it, the next order of business should be prepping the guys who will be competing for the starting job next year.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I hope the Dawgs and I have every confidence that they will remain focused on each game as it occurs. Go in and take care of business verses SC. That said we fans have the luxury of being able to look ahead all we want to with no negative impact on the team. Looking ahead Arkansas might be a very tough opponent. Or it might be that TX is just not a very good team at the moment. I guess we’ll see as the season unfolds. I know one thing, speaking for me, I’ll sure be glad when we get some of our injured players back, And will be glad when those that are playing injured not at 100% but still able to play, are back fully healthy. I hope Arian Smith is not injured very bad. Kirby and the Dawgs are on a quest for a Ntl. Title so there’s always room for improvement but all in all I was very pleased with our Dawgs today. Especially when we consider all the injuries and guys playing banged up. Again looking down the road KY was pretty impressive in their win over Mizzou, so the going will probably get tougher and tougher as the season goes along. I may get a pin stuck in my celebratory balloon wouldn’t be the first time, but I’m really buying into & believing in this Dawgs team !! I see tons of potential !! Just take one game at a time, stay focused, take care of business, keep chalking the W’s and st the end of the road make room in the trophy case !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    zonadawg61zonadawg61 Posts: 417 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

So UAB beat Jacksonville State last week 31-0. Same Jacksonville State that just beat Florida State today 20-17

Dawgs just destroyed UAB 56-7. Anything can happen.

• Options
    bogarttadbogarttad Posts: 278 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

My dad gave me a different perspective on the hallowed place of being the #2 anything. He told me that his second favorite football team was Notre Dame which stunned me since he was a Southern Baptist. His follow-up gave clarity and the perspective. He then announced his favorite team was "whoever is playing Notre Dame!".

• Options
    SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited September 2021

Will be the contrarian. Going back to Justin Fields, there have been opportunities to get the future starter meaningful snaps for development. It was a missed opportunity to not give Beck the ball for the entire second half. It’s impossible to develop any rhythm swapping in and out of a series. Like it or not, there will be a 2022 season. And if things keep going like this, they will head into that season without a QB with any playing experience. There is a right way to handle this types of mismatch games. When you get a comfortable lead, you focus on the future.

• Options
    rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Wow, Coach Smart knows something about selecting which quarterback will play when - who'd have thunk it?

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't really understand the second guessing (before the game) of picking Bennett to start over Beck.

Bennett does have his limitations -size and arm strength- but he knows the position and the offense very well.

He played well enough to give his team leads against Florida as well as Alabama.

Having Bennett start and easing Beck into meaningful game snaps was clearly the right way to go.

• Options
    SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited September 2021

Exactly what evidence gives you comfort that CKS will have a starter ready to go next season? Last season? Fromm over Fields? Fromm over Eason after he returned from injury? I have to imagine that other coaches are already using “Carson is QB2” and then not playing him at least a half in a non-conference game that they were 28 point favorites as recruiting fodder.

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The season is only two games old. There's still plenty of time to develop Carson beck, and that started in game two.

Moreover, it was clear that Beck was not ready to be the starter in game two. Hindsight shows that Monken and Smart picked the most game ready QB to start the game, and they made sure Beck got plenty of meaningful snaps.

• Options
    KeithDogKeithDog Posts: 4 ✭ Freshman

OMG so many kool-aid drinking people on here. Beck should have started against UAB. Hands down Smart has proving time and time again to play his "Pet" players. Beck needs the rep's and needs to start. I don't want to hear he is not ready. It's the coaches job to make sure he is ready. The 2021 season will end the way 2020 did. Bennett did play well against a JV team, but has shown he is not a starting caliber QB for any other team. Why on Gods green earth has a QB that has been at GA for 2 years not be ready to play? Is it the player or is it the coaching staff? I believe it's the coaches. If I was a young talented QB I would never come to play for Smart and GA. I have loved this team for 50 years and time and time again have seen GA throw away the opportunity to get a young QB starting rep's. We should have played Fields against Alabama in the Championship game several years ago. Smart blew that chance and I feel this year will be more of the same. Ga has a great front 7 but out DB's are our weak spot on this team. Smart played DB but lacks the ability to teach young players a position he played. If UGA blow's another promising season I see Smart getting the boot. This is a result driven sport and Smart needs to develop the players to ensure we win.

• Options
    bogarttadbogarttad Posts: 278 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I feel like "drinking the kool aid" after KeithDog's comments below.

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My man Stetson is gonna take his job back! You go big guy! Shows what hard work and perseverance can do.

• Options
    sthop456sthop456 Posts: 72 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'm tired of everyone saying Bennet is too short and his arm is too weak. Then he goes about tieing the school record for thrown TDs in a game a lays out a few dime bombs doing it. Bennet is a DGD.