Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football an unfinished product, but good enough for No. 1 right now

SystemSystem Posts: 10,675 admin
edited September 2021 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football an unfinished product, but good enough for No. 1 right now

ATHENS — Kirby Smart and Georgia looked like the best team in the nation against UAB, and that matters when you are voting on one of college football’s most prestigious polls.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mike, I can see why you would put UGA over Bama.

UAB beat Jacksonville St 31-0, and the next week Jacksonville State beat Florida State. Makes the UGA-UAB game that much more impressive.

I have a feeling Alabama will have an impressive result against Florida. Especially if Richardson can't come in and save Emory Jones. I look for 3 INT's from EJ. That one may not even be close.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Richardson hurting his hammy defeintely hurt FLA chances. DUde is a beast.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thanks for the #1 vote Mike!

I'm hoping by the end of September all those guys you mentioned will be back on the field. It's starting to look like the Arkansas-Auburn back-to-back weeks may be tougher than first anticipated. Looking forward to the competition and honestly glad to see Pittman having early success at Arkansas. He deserves to do well, and it appears the players love the guy. And I'm very interested in seeing how both QBs play in the FL-Bama game. IMHO, Richardson needs to lead FL at QB - not Jones.

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    bogarttadbogarttad Posts: 279 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Sam Pittman has to go down as the best offensive coaching assistant we have ever had at UGA. No one can downgrade Erk Russell as the GOAT as assistant coach, however. What great men they are.

• Options
    stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

Maybe with some luck there will be a UGA Alabama match up in the SECCG. One would think if UGA is better than Bama now just how much better they will be when all the injury players return. Should not even be close

• Options
    Billy21Billy21 Posts: 197 ✭✭✭ Junior

I don’t really care who number 1-5 are. They are all about the same. Let’s just keep improving week to week and see what happens.

• Options
    rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Really, #5 OK? Number 5 might as well be number 25 because the playoff has only 4, as I'm sure you know.

• Options
    Billy21Billy21 Posts: 197 ✭✭✭ Junior

My point is, if Georgia takes care of business. They will be in the playoff. I should have said 1-4, so sorry about that, but pledging somebody at number one after week 2?

• Options
    Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I agree he’s a beast, but skeptical of how he holds up/how much success he’ll have against our linebackers who are mostly just as fast, strong as he is; and most importantly they’ve been laying absolute licks on running backs and QBs this year.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Appreciate the vote, but I think we do better when we are slight under-dawgs. It's still early to be making judgments but I have to believe that given their history that Bama would have more polish and likelihood to go the rest of the year undefeated. Does that mean that we couldn't beat them this Saturday if we played them? Not at all, but we still need to get our passing game fully polished and to "full elite" status before we are there. I'm glad we have 2 "lesser" opponents before we face Arkansas and then Auburn.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

OK due to things going on at home I admit I did a speed read. But I agree with you Mike. I think UGA “right now” is every bit as good and maybe slightly better than Bama. Now when the Dawgs get the injured guys back they will sure nuff be tough . Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Looking ahead is always dangerous, but I must admit that after watching Arkansas Saturday night, they now have me more than a little concerned. I love it for Pittman because he was great for Georgia during and AFTER he coached here. I just hate that he basically got hired because their top 2-3 choices, including Lane Kiffen, didn't want the job. I feel like if Pittman was still on the UGA staff, we would be unstoppable because our OL line would be blowing up people. Hope we can get through the next two games with W's and without injury and then be fully stocked for the Hogs! Go Dawgs.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Got a feelin' about those Razorbacks. Sam has marshaled up a very good squad this year. He took it to #15 Texas. Very impressive. He also remembers Stetson's win for UGA, who would have certainly lost without his intervention and brilliant play. May need Stets again. I have no idea how JT is progressing? Oblique injuries require rest....he is practicing? Cannot get a solid read from CKS.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Beamer's guys love him, too! At the end of the game they were to a man coming up to him and showing love,hugs and smiles all around.

• Options
    WCHWCH Posts: 482 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm more interested in our being #1 at the end of the season and the playoffs are over. But, I agree that there seems to be no better team in the US at this time than the Dawgs.

• Options
    Trey33Trey33 Posts: 133 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited September 2021

Noooo we don’t do too good at number 1 matter of fact drop us down to 4 until late November

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wonder how many of our defenders would be All American if the vote were taken today. I’m sure it would be more than zero that made the preseason list.

• Options
    stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

So Mike thinks if Bama and UGA played this Saturday, the dawgs would win. I am not sure if I would put a lot of money on that outcome.