Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Pending returns of Darnell Washington and Tykee Smith will have strong effects

SystemSystem Posts: 7,418 admin
edited September 2021 in Article commenting
imagePending returns of Darnell Washington and Tykee Smith will have strong effects

ATHENS — Football is most often a game of attrition, and Georgia has been no exception with various projected starters missing the early part of the season.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thinking out loud.....The Vandy scrimmage....my sincere hope is UGA does not lose anymore starters to injury right before the Arkansas game. We all know JT could put up close to 100 pts on Vandy (well, not quite) so play him sparingly. Maybe Stetson would be a good starter for Vandy...just sayin'. Put Brock V. in and let him stretch his arm and run over the poor Vandy defense awhile. Beck as well. Rotate them. This is a game where injuries could be suffered and losses felt against and far superior opponent in Ark. in Oct. UGA seems to be prone to injury...in my armchair opinion. Good game for DBs to sharpen up...Also Washington and Smith need on-field time if they are now healthy. Bowers and Jackson should have a banner day...Arian Smith as well. The RBs....this is their chance to finally breakaway to the house multiple times. Use this tilt for what I think it is...a scrimmage. Enough.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I predict we will see some runs to the house once Washington starts getting reps. It only takes one good block in the second level to turn a 15 yard run into a long TD. We also miss Pickens in the run game. His greatness comes from taking all his assignments seriously whether it be in the pass or run game (plus the skill and talent to complete his assignments).

• Options
    tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

UGA66, don't assume anything in football. On paper UGA should manhandle and run all over Vandy, but on any given Saturday anything can happen. I still remember in the 1980's, I can't recall the exact date, but I was in the VA Hospital recovering from kidney stone surgery. I do recall it was Homecoming at UGA. My son came by, and we watched the Georgia football team that was highly favored to win, lose to Vandy. I was in pain before the game, but I was in greater pain as the game ended. That was not one of Georgia's most memorable games. I'm 73, and I have have seen Georgia play down to it's opposition too many times to take any football game for granted. Georgia has a lot more talent than Vandy, but all that talent does not guarantee a win. Everytime we lose to Vandy, we have always had more talent than them. That includes Kirby's first year when GA lost to them at home.

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I get the notion of not playing a lot of starters against the worst teams to save them from injury. The flip side is the more they play, especially receivers and the starting and 2nd QB, the better their timing gets. It needs to be a balance.

I doubt we'll see much of Daniels after the first half. Kirby has been rotating plenty of young players on both sides of the ball.

• Options
    brvhrtbrvhrt Posts: 322 ✭✭✭ Junior

I don’t feel too bad for DJ. Somebody got in his ear and gave him some bad advice. He listened and that (along with a seriously misleading experience at the Senior Bowl) have led him to where he is. Hope it works out for him, but guys have to be patient.

• Options
    Bigjohnson92Bigjohnson92 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Yeah, happens all too often with these kids. Holyfield and J Newman being most recent on my mind. Hangers-on trying to spend someone else’s money that hasn’t been made yet. Happens at all schools. Maybe if they don’t get drafted they can come back? Now that the NIL can float them some cash, so they don’t have to sign with an agent unless drafted? Sad.

• Options

Downfield blocking is not the same as previous years. That’s for sure. And we don’t have guys with breakaway speed.

• Options

Play em all. Injuries happen at anytime. Practice, games, contact, noncontact. Gotta get them reps and let them eat.