Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Larry Munson: Late, great UGA broadcaster featured in SEC film

SystemSystem Posts: 7,419 admin
edited September 2021 in Article commenting
imageLarry Munson: Late, great UGA broadcaster featured in SEC film

Larry Munson, the legendy UGA play-by-play announcer, was commemorated by ESPN’s SEC Network as part of a 90-minute film “More Than Voice.”

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2021

If Nick Saban is supposed to be the (notice I said IF) coach of the century. Then assuredly Larry Munson was/is the Radio Announcer of the century. I’ll be honest I teared up watching that as it brought back wonderful memories of my childhood and into my adulthood. Not trying to get or asking for a pity party for me. But I didn’t get to attend the games in Athens.I was always working on Saturdays, had to. In fact I’ve never been but to one game and that was a truly glorious moment for me. I had my now 36 year old son with me. Even IN the stadium we took a little portable radio with us so we could listen to Larry ( with an earplug of course) call the plays !! Larry brought Dawgs football right into my ears, my mind, my heart. I could “See” the field, the players, the crowd, the pageantry through Larry Munson. I will forever be grateful for Larry Munson and that special and cherished place He and Dawgs football hold in my heart. Go Dawgs !! GATA !!

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Oh and meant to say that when I watched Dawgs football on TV I would turn the TV announcers volume down and crank up Larry on the radio !!

• Options
    HunkerDawgHunkerDawg Posts: 76 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited September 2021

Favorite Call: Belue to Scott, because it was the greatest capture of sporting emotion and what it meant to the program in broadcast history. That play saved the most magical season in program history.

But the end of the '78 Kentucky game may be the best example of all the things that made Munson great. Describing the scene--not saying Kentucky is in a 6-man front, but "Kentucky MASSING 6 with 3." Setting the stage, "Georgia has come FLYING back down to the Kentucky 16..,Georgia calls time. NOW, guess what's coming up. Holy smokes I talked to Robinson's folks in the lobby of the motel and his missed his first 2 tonight." Capturing the drama--that quiver in his voice as he counted down the clock, "The clock's against us...twenty-FiiiiiiiVe, twenty-four..." often with hilarity "the WHOLE stadium is STANDING--well some of them are upside down but they're trying to stand." And then the jubilation, "YEAH, YEAH, YEAH, YEAH!! With THREE seconds left, Rex Robinson PUT 'em ahead! The bench is UNCONSCIOUS!!!"

• Options
    HunkerDawgHunkerDawg Posts: 76 ✭✭✭ Junior

The greatest thing about Munson's legacy is how listening to a replay of his calls can bring back the emotion of all those great Georgia moments, many that I lived. But it even allows fans to experience and share moments before they were even born, or perhaps old enough to fully appreciate at the time. I love sharing that with my children, who were born after Munson died.

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Larry Munson is the Greatest of all time. period!

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Those were the days. Nothing better than watching the Dawg's on TV, while listening to Munson. We wouldn't have watched it any other way.

• Options
    tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Larry had the perfect voice for the Dawgs program. You could be on the field and feeling every call through his emotional voice. "Look at the sugar falling from the sky", and "We just stepped on their face with a hob-nailed boot, and broke their nose". A DGD!!

• Options
    Wozzo_the_Wonder_DogWozzo_the_Wonder_Dog Posts: 189 ✭✭✭ Junior

That was a great video clip but I could not help but wonder how much longer we'll have Coach Dooley with us. I would not have recognized him if I saw him out of context, and his voice did not sound healthy.