Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Brock Bowers continues to rack up accolades, earns SEC Freshman of the Week

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited September 2021 in Article commenting
imageBrock Bowers continues to rack up accolades, earns SEC Freshman of the Week

Georgia tight end Brock Bowers earned SEC Freshman of the Week honors for his performance against Vanderbilt.

Read the full story here

Comments

• DawgCrazy76DawgCrazy76 Posts: 482 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We're going to need both TEs to be productive, physical and block on perimeter to spring our RBs. All team all game tenacity is a must.😎

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Few frosh have stepped up like Bowers has. He has taken advantage of the injured supposedly above him on the roster and has shown himself to be an accomplished receiver/running back. Smart likes this sort of physical, versatile power player...and in a freshman. He certainly earned SEC Freshman of the Week. More of the same this weekend Brock. UGA will need it.

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Remember the roar of criticism from rival fans and uninformed media before the season of "Georgia doesn't throw to their TE's" and "why would any TE go to UGA"? Not a peep since. Looking forward to adding DWash to the mix.

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well, @UGADad20, I think much of that criticism was valid at the time. Just look at the stat on the number of TD receptions Bowers already has versus other TE's. I do think CKS makes a good point about Bowers playing during a time when our many of our other primary receivers are injured, but still, when the ball has been thrown to him, he catches it. And when he catches it, he often does something positive with it. That's not something that we've been able to say about previous TE's under Smart, even those who came to UGA much more heralded than Brock. Bowers is a true offensive weapon for us, not just an afterthought or an emergency valve receiver. I'm excited to see what Monken can do when he has both him and Washington available. Go Dawgs!

• Trey33Trey33 Posts: 133 ✭✭✭ Junior

He’s clearly the best pass catcher period we’ve had since Aj Green

• 87dawg87dawg Posts: 364 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited September 2021

I'm happy for Bowers and am glad he's a Dawg but lets not forget, another Freshman, McConkey, did the same thing in the same game. The only reason Bowers was the first since Gurley in 2013 is because he got the ball before McConkey. If it had been reversed, would McConkey be Freshman of the week (I know he's a redshirt)?

By no means do I want to take away from Bowers because the kid is good but I also don't want to lose sight of the other guy, who made a great leaping catch over his defender for a beautiful TD catch, has our longest run of the year and is a pretty good blocker, as well.

I would add, this type of play was expected of Bowers. It was not expected of McConkey.

• OldJeepBobOldJeepBob Posts: 71 ✭✭✭ Junior

"My God! And just a freshman"

• 1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Next man up, and Bowers has proven he was ready..GoDAWGS!