Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Kirby Smart explains why size is a big reason for a different looking Georgia offensive line

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited September 2021 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart explains why size is a big reason for a different looking Georgia offensive line

Georgia football has a smaller offensive line than in years past. That contributes to some of the issues.

Read the full story here

Comments

• SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I remember that bigger line also struggling in short yardage situations - run blocking against some of the better D-lines.

That line was massive but a little slow and that allowed faster D-lineman to get into the O-line on some short yardage plays.

Hopefully the 2021 line can maybe put on just a little more weight and find a happy medium, and be able to protect the QB better while also being good at run blocking.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I know it was mentioned when Luke took over that we wanted to get quicker(smaller) and more mobile. OK so we did according to this article. However, if I'm not mistaken we have a couple of beheemoths on the bench. I guess they have the size but lack something Luke needs(experience?) tenacity? I don't know, but we just need to quit making excuses and execute better. We're too big, we're too small.....blah, blah, blah.

I guess we should have signed the guys that Arkansas signed coming out of HS, if recruiting rankings don't count for squat. Just pick the right size guys or how about this, you coach them up.

• JimmyBobJimmyBob Posts: 197 ✭✭✭ Junior

Look at some stats and the premise of this article falls apart. http://www.cfbstats.com/2019/team/257/rushing/offense/split.html

Little difference in yards per carry between 2021 and 2019. Ran the ball much better in 2017 and 2018, when we had a mix size wise. Galliard, Wynn, Baker weren’t huge, but got job done.

Very rarely does one of our RB's get to the D-Line where there is an opening big enough to squirt through. JUst bizarre.

• khummelkhummel Posts: 801 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2021

How about the size of the guys on the other side of the line against these first 4 opponents? I haven't looked, but I suspect Georgia had an average size advantage. Georgia's talented, big-enough O-line is not playing up to it's potential in the run game... period. The good news is that they have the ability and opportunity to change that narrative over the balance of the year. Go Dawgs!

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2021

Connor Riley talks about getting more athletic/"smaller" like it is a bad thing. Then he states that UGA's line is better protecting the passer. Considering the emphasis on passing more and changing the O , 2 sacks in 4 games is about as good as you can get. Keeping JTD clean is the most important thing this season. Losing Ratledge was a big loss. But I like the talent and depth of this line. These guys are getting better and better. I expect them to be very good at all aspects by playoff time.

• LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I had visions of that on Saturday when we had the 4th and 1 situation.

I really want those memories to be gone. I mean 1 yard...against Vandy.

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As others have mentioned, there was endless hype pre-season about our o-line and how they were bigger than some NFL programs and yet it really wasn't as good as hyped. Overall average for running yards (with Swift + Herrien + White + Cook + Mcintosh) was 4.9 yard per play - right about where we are now at 4.8. But don't forget that it not only included stats against a weak Vandy team (8.1 yards per play), but Murray State, Arkansas State, etc.

Lets look at the important games of 2019:

• vs Notre Dame: 152 Rushing Yards
    • LOSS to South Carolina: 143 Rushing Yards
    • vs Florida: 119 Rushing Yards
    • vs Auburn: 110 Rushing Yards
    • LOSS to LSU: 61 Rushing Yards (yeah...)

That tells you everything you need to know. With deep RBs and an "NFL" o-line, we should've been getting 250+ yards per game... right? Or at least have our running game be able to wear down South Carolina... that same team that would only have 3 other wins all year (Vandy, Kentucky and Charleston Southern) getting solidly beaten by teams like App State, UT (by nearly 30 points) and score a total of 9 points against Texas A&M and Clemson combined.

Yeah, don't be acting like bigger=better.

• tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If you can't push Vandy's DL enough to get at least 1 yard rushing for a first down, what are you going to do against a more elite DL? like the Arkansas's, the Auburn's, the Kentucky's, the Florida's? Dang 1 yard. It has been a concern for UGA for years, it didn't just start this season. A lot of the lack of blocking isn't due to brute size or strength. A lot of it is lack of proper angles for the blocking, and a lot of it is RB's lack of vision to cut the run to another hole sometimes. Come on, if you want to be elite, then you have to play elite. Every down, and all game long.

• SoprisDawgSoprisDawg Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

As a 14 year high school head football coach who has coached over 25 years, I am mystified by our run game. Size is not the issue, watch any armed service game.. they run, run and run some more with undersized lineman. We do nothing to help our lineman from a scheme standpoint. We barely ever pull and down block to get better angles on blocks. James Cook's 23 yard run was on a power G. Do we run that play again even though it was successful? No. Do we trap? No. Do we run more than one counter/ reverse per game or two? No. Inside and outside zone is not the only answer.. we are what we call, a full flow offense. Lb's just get up and run to the play. The opposing defense never has to think. And to be honest we **** at it and the defense knows it too. You have to trick people running the ball just as we do passing the ball.

So do our lineman underachieve? No. Our scheme blows and it hasn't mattered who the OL coach is. Or our OC for that matter. Watch Mel Tucker's Michigan St. run the ball. The Walker kid is killing it. False pulls, full pulls. Counter Treys... it takes some imagination to run the ball, the defensive athletes are too good- no matter the team. Imagine our "5*'s" running the Spartan's run schemes.... As far as pass blocking is concerned- the boys are doing a good job. Big Stong Dudes holding their space. Easy. We do have one weak lineman and in the world of Coach Kirby's Best Player plays... I am bummed and at some stage he is going to cost us a game.

SoprisDawg-

Thanks for the explanation. I think we all have sensed something isn't right but couldn't put our finger on it and you seem to have. Could you expound a little more as to why you think they keep the scheme so simple? Everytime Kenny Mac gets hit in the backfield I want to bang my head on a wall.

• ChewDawgChewDawg Posts: 124 ✭✭✭ Junior

So far, the past 4 teams have shown that they haven't really bought into Ga's passing game yet. Therefore, they were all stacking the line. If our passing game continues to light up our opponents, future opponents will have to "unstack" the line in order to help their passing defense. That should open up our running game a bit. I think our better running schemes are saved for the better oponents or when we absolutely need them, and rightfully so. As of right now, we're fine. What we're doing will help develop our O-linemen for better performance in the future. We shouldn't have to always rely on scheme to effectively run the ball. If this is what it takes in order to help them develop. I'm fine with it. With the teams that we've played so far this year, it wasn't hurting our chances of winning any.

• navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hey !!! I Like the way you talk !! I think we Should have all known that it would take some time to get back some semblance of close quality wise with last years O line. I mean all those guys gone to the NFL. Practice is fine but you just can’t duplicate Real game experience. I to Believe they Will get better every game they play. I love a long run as much as anybody and I understand that as we begin to face tougher teams we will Need a more balanced offense. But I think ( I sure hope) that for right now we can make bread with a prolific pass game coupled with shorter runs to keep the opposing D honest. Then I agree with you as the season wears on and our guys get more experienced Then we will see the Ability to be more balanced. Go Dawgs !!