Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart goes in-depth on JT Daniels’ injury status, ‘it’s beyond our control’

SystemSystem Posts: 10,461 admin
edited October 2021 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart goes in-depth on JT Daniels’ injury status, ‘it’s beyond our control’

ATHENS — Georgia quarterback JT Daniels will remain week-to-week with a grade one lat strain, and his status for next Saturday’s game at Auburn will be determined by how he feels in the pregame.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    DawgOnDawgOn Posts: 265 ✭✭✭ Junior

I said before the SC game he should rest until completely healed. But, hey, I am merely one of legions of UGA fans. Let him rest for the really important games, like the Florida game. However, if he isn't ready for it, let him rest more. Surely he will be ready for the really important games like the playoffs and the Natty, should we get there. I believe we will, and a healed and rested QB of JT's caliber will be a great asset when those games arrive.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kirby is tough but fair. He will start JT when he and the med staff feel it is time. The lat muscle is a large one and can be lengthy in healing if pulled. Until then..Stetson Bennett will stand behind center. He did a very good job today. He does seem to have Arkansas's number...the whole team does. Excellent effort by DL and OL! Arkansas is no match for an elite team like UGA. Pittman says they will meet again...I do not believe so.

• Options
    G2ADG2AD Posts: 28 ✭✭ Sophomore

Either way this is bad for the dawgs. Either JT is extremely injury prone or Kirby is stubbornly invested in a certain demographic of qbs, no matter what.

• Options
    sutherngasuthernga Posts: 30 ✭✭ Sophomore

So, basically we have an injury prone quarterback?! This is the reason I've been raising the question that Kirby needs to start prepping for the future with his freshmen quarterbacks in many the games that are out of reach. I don't trust Bennett. He's not focused enough in a big games to make the necessary throws that will need to be made IF and when teams take our run away. Kirby can be mad all he wants.

• Options
    VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Perhaps with a 3 man front it was better to have a qb in who could run the ball?

Even tho JT was cleared I believe Stetson being more mobile did make the defense give him more attention.

All in all, couldn’t be happier with the dawgs today! The o line and the rb’s got to get lathered up for about 2 quarters and that’s a good thing.

Go Dawgs

• Options
    My_Dawg_RyanMy_Dawg_Ryan Posts: 382 ✭✭✭ Junior

Mike, why did you choose that picture for your article of JT? Hahahaha, was there not a better choice. Lmbo

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

And you do trust Beck? Throws an INT and makes zero, ZERO effort to prevent the pick six, when the D was pitching a shutout? Prep for the future? The future is the next game for championship teams! I hope you are still gripping about Kirby next week…after Stetson and the offense produces a 30+ point win over Auburn!

• Options
    zonadawg61zonadawg61 Posts: 415 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@DeppDogg has it spot on. Relax. UGA was an 18 point fav and blew that out of the water with a backup QB and a vanilla game plan. Held their opponent scoreless and to under 200 total yards. What more do you people want? I'm excited about the rest of the season. Florida lost...again. Enjoy the day. Dawgs are poised for big things. I LOVE watching that defense. Cherish it because this kind of domination is special.

• Options
    dogs_n_bravesdogs_n_braves Posts: 121 ✭✭✭ Junior

The reason why this topic is at the top of the pile - and will stay there - is because SBIV cannot take this team all the way. He will not win the SEC champ game and he will not win in the first round of the playoff. With Bama, he will not have the luxury of knowing that the other team can't score. He will need to engineer drives and make smart throws against certain pressure and the best DBs.

JT needs game time. How many minutes has he actually played this year? 20? 30? Whatever the number, it is not enough to be in "mid-season form" for Auburn, Florida or SEC champ game.

Lastly, if Beck (or Brock) never gets the chance to throw against mid-grade teams, he will never be ready to throw against the good ones.

Either way, if SBIV is the long term answer, UGA will not make it past the first round of the playoff.

• Options
    stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

I am amazed at the people who refuse to realize that Bennett is more than just a serviceable quarterback. They for some reason do not think he can win the big game and yet have nothing to support that assertion. Yes Daniels can in with a great rating from his high school recruiting class and Bennett did not. A lot of quarterbacks have had great ratings but have been disappointing, think Clemson with their #1 Pro rated quarterback. The difference is Bennett can play and Daniels is out with some injury.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

stone

You would make a great coach. You sound just like Kirby.

dogs-n-braves- JT has the same injury that Dak Prescott had. It has to rest in order to heal. You simply can't play through it or practice with it. Unless you like the feeling of a knife slicing you every time you throw it. Other than that. Not that big a deal.

How many balls did Stetson have batted down against BAMA? I love the guy but he isn't going to beat BAMA IMO. THat said, if he had to be the starter I would be pulling for him 100%.

• Options
    BassDawgBassDawg Posts: 125 ✭✭✭ Junior

We can win out with what we have in SB and CB. Save him for the SECCG and Natty.

• Options

@reddawg1 how many balls did Daniels have batted down against Bama? Or Mathis? Or Beck? Just asking. Oh, I forgot none of them played. I think Kirby actually played the quarterback who he thought gave the team the best chance to win.

Now you might be under the impression that Daniels might have beaten Bama last year but he would not have. That Bennett did not just means he joins a long list of Georgia quarterbacks going all the way back to Stafford who have failed to beat Bama. Does that mean UGA will not beat Bama this year with either Daniels or Bennett at quarterback, of course not. What will contribute to possible beating Bama just as much as the quarterback play and probably even more will be the defense.

As fans we like to talk about how great the defense was last year but it was not in the games that counted. The concern about this year’s defense is it has not been tested by a team that has anything resembling a sophisticated passing attack or by a team with the same level of talent.

So it would appear you are all in with Daniels. He either stays healthy and plays or we all can forget about beating Bama. I for one think there is more to this team than Daniels.

• Options

Stone-

Nothing is impossible in football. On any given Sunday, yada yada yada, I get that . It's possible we could beat Bama with Stetson. Sure. You're right our defense can carry the day from here to the playoffs. I believe our defense is superior to BAMA's at this stage of the season. I think Stetson can zing it with anyone on the team, JT included. I think Stetson can scramble better than anyone on the team. He's no slouch I'm glad we have him. It scares me to think of him getting injured on a scramble and Beck having to come in,

Having said all of that, JT is a far better decision maker and reader of defenses. BAMA IMO would be able to confuse Stetson with different looks. THen there is the height factor. If BAMA started batting down a couple of passes is Stetson going to get down on himself? Do the coaches then start rolling him out every play and basically limit his receiving options to one side of the field?

I don't know if you have noticed Stetson's demeanor, at times he gets infuriated when things don't go his way. Kirby was chewing him out after one pass on Saturday when he came to the sideline and he basically ignored Kirby as he didn't take to well to Kirby's criticism. Stetson can shoot you in and he can just as quickly shoot you out. It's why the coaches limited his throws Saturday. You would think they would allow him to get some more confidence to be ready for Auburn, but IMO they didn't trust him. If the coaches don't trust you, that speaks volumes.

I'm not chucking the season if Stetson ends up being the guy from here on out, but I'm not as confident that we can run the table as I am with JT. And that's not just me, I think I would be in the majority, not the minority.

If you feel just as good about UGA's chances with Stetson, that's cool. It is what it is.

• Options
    edited October 2021

@reddawg1 I will with hold judgment on your comment of comparing the two defenses. This defense has yet to face a team with anything that comes close to a sophisticated passing offense and frankly that concerns me. With the possible exception of Tennessee no one left on the schedule really passes the ball. Because of this, they have to play into the dawgs strength. Needless to say this is a huge advantage.

I missed where Daniels has been confronted with complex defenses. Was this in the Clemson game? It surely was not against Arkansas or USC.

As for limiting his pass attempts, the way you attack a 3-2-6 defense is run the ball. It really was an excellent game plan developed by the offensive staff. It was the same defense Old Miss used and the game plan used was very similar.

As to your concern about height you release Bennett is actually taller than Young, the Bama quarterback.

As far as running the table I don’t have a lot of confidence with either Daniels or Bennett if that means going undefeated. I put that right up there with having 14 players drafted in 2022. Possible but highly unlikely.

• Options

Stone

I explained to you how I thought we would beat arkansas 38-14, and you weren't convinced. Heck and that was with JT playing(I thought), and people were so worried about big bad Arkansas. I explained how neither Texas, Ark or Tex A&M had played their weakest teams as convincingly as we had ours. But you tried twisting my words- you seem to do that every time. It's no mistake I get it.

You know as well as I do that Stetson had what 8 passes deflected against BAMA? Maybe it wasn't 8 I'm going off memory. But it was a lot, and all you can do is say well Young is shorter than Stetson. Seriously?

As far as JT being confronted with complex defenses, did you conviently forget about Cincy. Look what they just did to Notre Dame in South Bend. Do you keep up with stuff? Do you really think Venables doesn't throw complex stuff at opposing QB's- so now Clemson is a slouch on defense? Is that what you meant? Plus, I know you read every article on here and that JT has as sharp a Defense reading IQ as anyone ever. Several mentions of that in many posts.

JT was the HS player of the year. He led his team to the HS #1 ranking in the country. Have you ever looked to see what he accomplished at Mater Dei? Just curious. Watch any of his HS film? WHen healthy he is as good a QB as we could hope to have in Athens. Before he hurt his knee he rushed for many more yards than Bryce Young who followed in his footsteps at Mater Dei.

Stetson's a gamer, as I've already repeated, I'm not down on Stetson. But is he JT? No. Given a choice of a healthy JT or Stetson, are you picking Stetson? If not, then why all the rebuttal?

As far as havoing 14 players in the draft possibly? HEre's an article from SI you might want to galnce at. THey list 15 , maybe I short changed UGA. https://www.si.com/college/georgia/news/georgia-football-2022-nfl-draft-projections