Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

3 things: Kirby Smart’s plan for JT Daniels, why Stetson Bennett almost left,

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited October 2021 in Article commenting
image3 things: Kirby Smart’s plan for JT Daniels, why Stetson Bennett almost left,

ATHENS — Georgia quarterback JT Daniels remains “day to day” with a strained lat muscle according to coach Kirby Smart, who explained that the second-year transfer from USC will not throw in Monday’s workout.

Read the full story here

Comments

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Personally I wouldn't have JT even pick up a football for a couple of weeks. If rest is what he needs then I don't understand making him throw later in the week. few days isn't going to miraculously make him well. LOL!

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I have all the respect in the world for Bennett, but I think things would've been okay. Keep in mind that Beck still can hold his own and a superstar Freshman behind him.

• BillyDawg1BillyDawg1 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2021

Spin it any way you please, right now the team doesn't have a starting QB. Also as of now JT hasn't been the difference in a single game as a Bulldog.

• VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This team has medical experts all over the place and I am not one of them. What I would like to know is the real time prognosis of this injury, best case scenario. Not Joe 6-pack recovery time. Like 21 yr old male with hyperbaric chambers, laser therapy, and acupuncture at their disposal - time line for recovery.

I don’t think it’s a slap at Bennett to say Daniels gives us the best chance at winning a natty. It’s more than just about them as a person. It’s about what does the team look like with either at the helm. I want to see Daniels start if healthy because we just are so much smoother with him at qb.

All of that being said, there’s a part of me that wants Stetson at qb when we curb stomp Florida just so we can jack slap those Jean short wearing fans who ram their mouths last year about “ Stetson Bennett the 4th”

go dawgs

• rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

You, obviously, haven't been watching the Beck that plays for UGA. Teams would blitz every play based on the Beck performance that I saw. I'm pulling for the young man but he is not ready for prime time yet.

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

All due respect, but please reference what you have seen to make you think Beck can hold his own. From my seat, he has no more business being on a SEC roster than D’wan Mathis. All we heard from the spring game through fall drills last year was how great Mathis was progressing. But, when the bright lights came on, it was Stetson that saved our bacon against Arkansas,

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was surprised to hear on Saturday’s telecast Herbstreit say that Bennett has a stronger arm than Daniels.

I do agree with redawg1 about Daniels not picking up a ball for awhile. I think we will be fine with Bennett against Auburn and KY the way the D is playing. I would prefer JT waiting until UF game week to begin practicing again. I want that score to be 100 to nothing!

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2021

Yes, agree with several comments about JT just taking time off throwing completely for a week or two. This kind of injury is kind of like a nagging hamstring pull that can take a while to really heal properly. The only thing I worry about is Daniels losing his "edge" when you haven't played in a competitive game in weeks. You've got to work out the rust.

As far as Bennett goes, this information is a bit of a revelation. I'm not sure what to think. I was just getting more confident in JT's abilities, and now we have to go with Bennett - who, honestly, scares me to death when he throws the ball. Sure, he's more mobile and has great team chemistry, but he throws into tight windows and double coverages even more than Daniels. He almost had one picked off against Arkansas and did against Vandy. Sorry, call me crazy, but I don't want our season depending on Bennett to carry us into the playoffs.

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I have to agree with MontanaDawg..I cringed when Bennett literally lobbed one nearly into the arms of the Arky defender in a tight window. Dodged a "lob" on that one and yes he was picked off week before repeating that thread the needle stuff. No, Bennett does not have a stronger arm than JT. Stets is getting better though...I agree. But to watch JT slide one perfectly over the receiver's shoulder 50 yards down field is a thing of beauty. That said.....Stets is our man....so I am fully behind him. He should do fine next two games. He can scramble and score. Jt will return.....when is the question?

• osmosiphobeosmosiphobe Posts: 377 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • BornADawgBornADawg Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not so fast my friend! If Stet had transferred and JT is having these issues and not at full speed, I seriously doubt we’re 5-0, defense notwithstanding. Go Dawgs!

• stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

@RedPantsDawg given the schedule you just might be correct. Let’s not kid our selves about how difficult it has been.

• navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Timing. An extremely important element of football and life for that matter. It’s my big hope that all these injured guys Including JT will be able to come back right at the time we most need them. If our beloved Dawgs can stay focused, play hard, and get the W’s vs Aub and KY then they have the Bye week to help get healthy. Get these two W’s then man oh man I’d dearly love to see a fully loaded Dawgs team go down and absolutely Crush the mud lizards in Jax !! That would be better than a good steak to this hungry Dawgs fan !! 😀

• HunkerDawgHunkerDawg Posts: 76 ✭✭✭ Junior

I would be sweating a lot more about JT's status heading into Auburn if we didn't have Stetson. I'm thankful we have someone as capable and gritty to step in and make the offense run. And BTW, the players, coaches, and Las Vegas agree.

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Again, all the respect in the world to Bennett as he is a true fighter, but the negativity towards Beck isn't justified yet. He really hasn't been given a chance and at only 13 throws, comparing him to Mathis is pretty harsh and unwarranted. Mathis was given the chance to start and threw just 12-30 for 89 yards with 1 TD and 3 INTs. Beck already has more yards than he did and has a TD to his name. Keep in mind that with the 2nd stringers, he passed for 22-31 in the G-Day game.

My only point is that he's clearly being pushed to transfer (not even a single snap in a shutout game with the starter out) and when that happens we'll be left only with Vandagriff and hopefully Stockton. Smart is great about getting QBs from the Portal, so maybe it doesn't matter but I still feel that Beck really hasn't been given a true shot.

Speaking of Mathis, he was injured in his opener with the Owls. He hasn't returned yet, I do not believe. Before he was injured he was 8 for 24 with an interception and a TD. I wish him well.

It is rather astonishing to me how our coaches actually made him the starter at all much less over Stetson at the time. I don't think Beck is another Mathis, but he's not Stetson either.

I know Stetson has the run thing, but I don't want to see him injured, because that means you know who would be up next, if JT couldn't go. He isn't ready for primetime.

Maybe a little off topic but it might beat listening to BA, I found this piece on SI.

https://www.si.com/college/georgia/news/georgia-football-2022-nfl-draft-projections