Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

On the Beat: Georgia’s lucky No. 13 ‘a hard guy not to like,’ and look ahead to Auburn

SystemSystem Posts: 7,422 admin
edited October 2021 in Article commenting
imageOn the Beat: Georgia’s lucky No. 13 ‘a hard guy not to like,’ and look ahead to Auburn

ATHENS — Georgia football has the best walk-on story in recent college football history, and as Kirby Smart would say, some are “missing the window.”

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    sthop456sthop456 Posts: 72 ✭✭✭ Junior

SB4 reminds me of the horse, Seabiscuit. The runt of the litter, but gives110% every time...and wins. If he was 6'2+ and just slightly more arm strength, pros would be salivating. DGD.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2021

Mike, Bennett is probably the best we have other than Daniels right now in understanding the offense and having the mobility and also the chemistry/leadership amongst the players. That is all positive stuff. But, let's not kid ourselves, his stellar performance this season was against a lowly UAB team. Then he threw an interception against Vandy (almost 2), and what should have been another interception against Arky. Like I have said before, he scares me every single time he drops back to throw anything downfield. I like the guy, and I'm not saying he is a bad QB - certainly not - BUT, he is wildly inconsistent with his accuracy and decision making.

We go with what we've got, and if neither Beck or Vandergriff are ready to lead the offense forward then we go with Bennett until JT heals up.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't necessarily agree @MontanaDawg that Bennett is "wildly inconsistent with his accuracy." Does he force some throws? Yes. But so does JT Daniels. Both of Daniels' interceptions this year were on passes that he should not have thrown. And, like Bennett, Daniels has also had a couple of other passes that COULD or SHOULD have been intercepted. All QB's make bad decisions at some point. But the key to winning is keeping those bad decisions to a minimum. And right now Bennett does that better than Beck, and Kirby Smart knows it. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The “Mailman” keeps delivering and I’m thankful he has stuck it out with our team. It’s annoying how the doubters continue their negativity and constantly looking for flaws in Stetson’s game with comments like “….and he nearly had another interception”. I can easily make that same comment about JT. It will be interesting to see if Bennett sticks around in 2022 for a 6th season……and JT may not go pro next year if he continues to miss games this season. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Understand your point and agree somewhat. The inconsistency is also why I have never been completely sold on Daniels as well. I was just getting more comfortable with JT, seeing some improvements where I thought was needed, when he injured his lat. Like I said, Bennett is a leader and has great chemistry with the players. I like his mobility and what that brings to the offense just as Kirby does. But, I still stand by my belief that he makes too many inaccurate throws and throws that should never have been made. I see confusion from Bennett on routes and on coverage - even more so than JT.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think everything has been said that needs to be said about Bennett. He is at his ceiling and gives it absolutely everything on the field.

Has he proven himself? Yes. Is he better than Beck/Vandagriff right now? Maybe. Can he take us all the way? Unsure.

Everyone wants to get into that LOVE or HATE mode, but I'm not sure that either is appropriate. Here's how it has been so far this year:

• Clemson => Daniels (started): GREAT
    • UAB => Bennett (started): GREAT | Beck: Not Good (10 passes)
    • Carolina => Daniels (started): GREAT | Bennett: Not Good (3 passes, 1 INT)
    • Vanderbilt => Daniels (started): GREAT | Bennett: Good (11/15 with 1TD/1INT) | Beck: Unknown (3 passes)
    • Arkansas => Bennett (started): Very Good (7/11 with 0TD/0INT but with almost 1 INT, but was able to run)

So, take from that what you will. The starter has done well in all games, while the reliever (granted, 2nd/3rd strings) has been less impressive. Bennett has done well, but don't forget about the passes that were almost intercepted. If you say that its-not-fair for the stats for when Bennett wasn't the starter, then you need data for Beck being the starter to compare. Smart has indicated that Beck has done well in practices, so unknown why not enough time. Little seems to be mentioned about Vandagriff, but playing as a true Freshman is rare.

Daniels clearly gets the nod when he's 100%.

Whether Bennett is NC level will be may be shown here in our next 3 games against ranked opponents.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Daniels has not been able to answer the bell...Stetson has and has made the most of it... IMO. His deep ball has a much better trajectory and velocity, but he does force throws at times...they all do. He can run out of pocket at will and even score. When his throws are off...note.,...he has a tough time seeing over the giant red wall in front of him...a bit short....but not that bad. I like the kid. He has a pretty decent mentor in JT Daniels.....who has helped him hone his long-ball. I do believe he will start against Auburn. I do believe he will help defeat Auburn. I do believe Stetson Bennett IV...the fifth year senior... is a winner.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bennet can shoot you in and he can shoot you out. It's why Kirby put the reins on him in the second-half(did he throw a pass in the second half?) couldn't have bee more than 2-3. With the game firmly in hand instead of further building confidence in our receivers in preparation for Auburn, Kirby chose to shut him down. Think about that one a moment.

Only two reasons you do that IMO. Either you don't want to run the score up against your old buddy coach or you're scared to death Bennet will throw a pick or two and some how bring Arkansas back into the game. My guess is the latter.

Don't tell me our receivers like Ladd and Adonai, and Bowers couldn't have used some receptions just to build off of the previous week going into Auburn? The game wasn't even close after the first quarter.

Just becasue you don't "have" to do something in order to win doesn't mean you shouldn't do it, if there is a benefit in doing it. So, what was the risk? Interceptions.

• Options
    GoodGameGoodGame Posts: 74 ✭✭✭ Junior

Smart answered that question. The receiver room is pretty beat up so why risk injury to the healthy guys when it's not necessary.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Stetson reminds me of an upgraded Buck Belue. In 1980 Belue only completed 49% of his passes over the season and was 1 for 13 (7 yards) in the NC game against Notre Dame. Stetson and Buck are both great leaders and know how to win….even when it’s not pretty. Go Dawgs and Go Stetson!!!

• Options
    DCDawgDCDawg Posts: 12 ✭ Freshman

SB4 has a brother at the University of New Hampshire. How do I know? Stetson Bennett III flew from ATL to Manchester, NH after the game. SB3 was wearing Georgia clothes and the pilot said, "Go DAWGS!" to Mr. Bennett. SB3 identified himself to the pilot who then dropped him and the other passengers off in Manchester. The pilot mentioned this to his brother... me! My brother was the pilot flying Stetson Bennett III to Manchester.

• Options

Smart gave you the answer he wanted you to have. You bought it.

• Options

Or perhaps you've made up your mind and there is no other 'right' answer.

At the end of the day we can say all we want but if we are wrong nothing happens. He has to make the decisions that affect the team and it's ability to win. So if his answer, that he has to provide or it leads to the press running wild with speculation, is one that protects his team then I say that is his call to make because the buck stops with him.

The answer he gave made sense to me and I think it made sense in that circumstance. But if it was just made to protect Bennett's feelings then that may be the best answer as well in that situation. Would you have him answer the question; "...well we didn't trust Bennett to protect the ball so we ran it."? And then potentially hand the ball to Bennett again next week against Auburn?

If we had a fully healthy WR room, then by all means throw those guys out there and give them reps, but what happens if somebody rolls an ankle or worse? Sure it could happen in practice as well but at this point it's risk aversion. It's a tight rope to be walked, but at the end of the day we can be wrong and nothing happens. Much easier to make a decision with no skin in the game.

I do agree though, I would have loved to see those guys get more work.

• Options

"Would you have him answer the question; "...well we didn't trust Bennett to protect the ball so we ran it."? And then potentially hand the ball to Bennett again next week against Auburn?"

That is the very question I almost posted to you, hence my point about him saying what he wanted folks to hear. He's not going to say," I really didn't want to give Stetson the chance to throw away the game when we didn't have to throw it to win."

Of course that makes sense. I (and others) just know Kirby's conservative nature.

He got the RB's some reps and got the run game going much better than in previous games and that was needed. THey needed it. He ran the 4 horsemen when he could have just put Edwards in there an not risked getting any of our backs hurt, but he knew they needed it.

I just would have liked to have seen Robinson, Ladd, Adonai, WAshington, and even Burton get a few snags to continue building their confidence, THere were just risk involved , some perhaps to injury, but the main one IMHO was it was the only chance the Razorbacks had of turning the game around with a pick 6 or two.

• Options

Fair point and I see where you are coming from but I lean towards believing the statement he made. Bennett was 3 for 4 in the second half with two additional pass attempts that resulted in no play due to pass interference. So Bennett let it fly 6 times in the second half.

• Options
    ChewDawgChewDawg Posts: 124 ✭✭✭ Junior

Bennett is the second best QB on the GA team right now. Every decision Kirby made regarding Bennett was spot on, and I agreed with every time. I keep telling the naysayers....."If you think you know better and can do a better job than Kirby, why don't you go apply for the head coaching job at UGA?" Then come back and let us know how it went.

• Options
    StiffneckStiffneck Posts: 78 ✭✭✭ Junior

Bennett has been playing well and really should have the backing of Dawg fans. Booing the guy was pretty pathetic, showed a lack of class and zero respect for the guy. I hope he blows the doors off Auburn on Saturday. He may end up being 'the guy' the rest of the way.

• Options
    Nickelsonx1Nickelsonx1 Posts: 75 ✭✭✭ Junior

I didn’t hear any boos where we were sitting for the UAB game.