Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia football stock report: Next men up shine, could hold starting jobs

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited October 2021 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football stock report: Next men up shine, could hold starting jobs

ATHENS — Georgia has looked like the most complete and best football team in the nation from the opening kick this season, and now that Alabama has lost, the Bulldogs have been elevated to No. 1.

Read the full story here

Comments

• JackJack Posts: 87 ✭✭✭ Junior

Please stay off the kickers! Even Lou Groza missed a few. haha Ladd is the 'hero' of this young season to me. He is making defenders look lost trying to cover him. The TE position is the best in the country and will only get better when George Pickens finally returns to the starting lineup. Man this is FUN!

• GhostofMunsonGhostofMunson Posts: 106 ✭✭✭ Junior

The fourth quarter play calling? Nothing was wrong with it. It worked and we churned out a drive to kill most of the clock in the fourth quarter. If it wasn’t working, I have all confidence in Coach Monken and staff that they would have adjusted. They’ve earned that confidence this year by what they’ve done so far.

They’ve been pretty elite considering how they have developed talent to replace all the injured players. Schematically, look at our passing game and see how we formation and scheme guys open. We’ve also been able to churn out a reliable running game, even with our shuffling of the offensive line, using wrinkles in blocking scheme and formations to help our o line along as they come together. Also, we still have a running game that still is effective even though teams still stack the box against us even though our passing game is an actual threat now

Halfway through the regular season it’s hard to say this offense staff hasn’t been elite. The statement about the fourth quarter play calling just screams you don’t understand the X’s and O’s without actually saying you don’t understand them.

• JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,735 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Fourth-quarter play calling: It’s hard to understand the point of running into a stacked box. The coaches ask the players to be elite, why not allow for elite play calling, too?

What do you consider elite play calling?

In my view of the 4th quarter play calling we did pretty well. Throughout the second half it was clear we intended to eat Auburn alive with our run game. The idea was to beat them to death on the line of scrimmage. We also wanted to score some points.

Further, it was strategically vital to keep the dangerous Bo Nix off the field as much as possible. Eating clock accomplishes many objectives particularly when you have a large and increasingly large lead.

We had in the second half sufficient passes, including a 60 yard beauty on first down, but needed to establish the running game having failed to do so in the first half. In my view of the 4th quarter we bludgeoned Auburn. By doing so we demonstrated physical superiority, gave our offensive line a chance to practice and show off their skills, and readied ourselves for the hard work coming down the road.

We may have run into a stacked box, but we did it very well indeed. Auburn's defense is pretty good, but they couldn't stop us even knowing what was coming. To me, that's a thing of beauty.

The offensive line was elite. The running backs were elite. The play calling was elite.

The material copied and pasted above is from an Auburn point of view. The writer even managed to make Bo Nix the player of the game. Imagine that.

Imagine the pain.

Go, Dawgs!

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2021

Have to agree with Mike Griffith on the 4th Q play calling. All dive plays into the line. By the 5th (?) in a row I was feeling bad for Edwards. The AU D was arriving at him as soon as he he got the handoff. Running out the clock doesn't mean running the same play over and over. Certainly UGA must have other run plays besides the dive? Running Cook between the tackles just seems pretty dumb. Settling for 3 FG attempts (2 from inside the 10) can probably be attributed to the predictability of the UGA O run game play selection.

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mike Griffin calling out ZWhite's "running style" is hilariously transparent. We know Mike would prefer his pet cat KMilton be showcased. White has proven to be the hardest running, most dependable workhorse back on the roster. FINALLY healthy following 2 years of knee injury rehab, White is starting to show why he was HS RB1 in the '17(?) recruiting cycle. AGAIN, everybody wants KMilton to be AVAILABLE when we need him. KMilton's running style is not conducive to getting a heavy workload and staying healthy. (see multiple games missed last season and this). I love the RB rotation and giving White the biggest workload seems to be the best way to keep Cook, Milton and McIntosh healthy and available.

• traildawg51traildawg51 Posts: 46 ✭✭✭ Junior

I really don't understand MIke sometimes. It seems like his reporting is often negative and trying to start controversy about who starts and who doesn't.

• GardenDawgGardenDawg Posts: 311 ✭✭✭ Junior

Does anyone know if we have toss sweep in the play book? If not, lets add to straight up the middle!

• PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Play calling in the 4th quarter was brilliant. Auburn D was beat down. Get too cutesy and throw one pick 6 and the whole game changes. Grinding out first downs and winding down the clock totally deflated their D. Good call, coach M. Don't listen to whiners about no passing when you are up 17 points with momentum, the ball, and a dominant offensive line.

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What about Brock Bowers? Hero not too long ago, huh? Now Ladd McConkey. Someone new steps up and connects with Bennett, it seems, every game. Am I reading it right....less and less talk about JT Daniels now? Is it because we just do not know when he will return or is it that Bennett is doing such a great job? Maybe a bit of both. Some I know are waiting for the other proverbial shoe to drop and Bennett falters. He has proven himself to be quite capable...IMO. For the life of me, I do not see how he peers over those huge linemen? That is where his run pass option skills kick in. Bennett has been at for about 6 years now! I admit JT has superior throwing ability. He has honed it to a fine edge. That said, he cannot escape the pocket as well as Bennett and cover valuable real estate in a hurry. UGA may need this ability with KY. KY's Levis is very adept at this. UGA will emerge victorious. Again, I reprise, UGA's defense will stifle KY. Bennett,if he starts, will hold up his end behind a much improved OL.

• GhostofMunsonGhostofMunson Posts: 106 ✭✭✭ Junior

Have you not seen the tosses we run? It comes out of the shotgun, but it’s the same concept as the toss sweep out of the I formation with pulling guards and using tight ends or H backs as the lead blocker instead of a fullback.

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2021

I know folks don't want to be critical, but Podlesny should be a "Stock Down" in my opinion. I mean, every time he goes out there, I'm holding my breath. I take none of his kicks for granted -- not even extra points. If the whole mantra of this season is about being "Elite," I don't think anyone would say that Podlesny is at that level. And I'm just praying that it won't cost us somewhere down the line. Go Dawgs!

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate