Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia football stock report: James Cook is soaring, but he’s not the only back on upswing

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited October 2021 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football stock report: James Cook is soaring, but he’s not the only back on upswing

ATHENS — Georgia football did not exactly limp into the bye week, but it’s not an overstatement to suggest the time off is much needed.

Read the full story here

Comments

• rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Sounds like this really struck a nerve with you. I can't quibble with anything you said with one exception, "There is not a kicking coach as Georgia has been cheap when it comes to hiring for such a position.". The NCAA has a strict limit on the number of "on field" assistant coaches, maybe this has something to do with no "kickers coach" on the field. Probably shouldn't bite the hand that is feeding Pod very well in virtually all aspects.

• RedDawgOneRedDawgOne Posts: 124 ✭✭✭ Junior

Mike, is it true that the missed extra point snapped the longest string of consecutive extra points by a team in college football dating back to 2014?

• SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Sorry, but have to agree with MG. It was only a matter of time before he missed an extra point. He has been inching closer and closer to the uprights throughout the season. His short range field goal attempts have been far from automatic. And he’s not being asked to kick off either. Whether its mental or physical, at some point you have to question if his lack of consistency will cost the team a game. Until then, I have to assume he’s out kicking Zirkel in practice.

• JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,735 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

When I read the "lack of focus" comment I wondered what it meant. (Before I read the comments I wondered.)

Jack Podlesny: Podlesny has been more inconsistent this season, and the missed extra point kick was evidence of his lack of focus.

What about the missed extra point makes clear the kicker was unfocused? What did Coach Smart say? What did Jack say?

What else could it be?

According to my understanding of kicking and kickers excessive focus can also be a contributing factor.

Way back we had an excellent kicker albeit not the greatest kicker we ever had. The story I heard about him was interesting. It was said he went out on the town the night before every game. He got very drunk. He had inadequate sleep. He arrived at every game with a terrible hangover. He made just about every kick.

At some point the coach set limits on his behavior. The late nights and the excessive alcohol were stopped. His kicking the next day was way off.

Is that story true? I have no idea. Maybe he just lacked focus.

Go, Dawgs!

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2021

Again Mike Griffin's agenda of Milton over White trotted out. White's 24 yd TD run would've been 99 yards had the ball been on the 1 instead of the 24. White is the workhorse back every team needs. RB1. End of story. Milton made a great play falling on the loose ball. He must've heard me screaming at my TV.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Maybe it's anxiety?

• Wozzo_the_Wonder_DogWozzo_the_Wonder_Dog Posts: 189 ✭✭✭ Junior

Podlesny needs a nickname. Has JACKPOT been used? I used my Echo Dot to get the radio game broadcast several times this year ("Alexa play radio station WSB"), and I though Scott Howard was going to say Jackpot! when Podlesny kicked/scored (but Scott was just saying the kicker's name).

• MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2021

@UGADad20 UK would have been defending the field differently than it was in the Red Zone.

Zamir's 24 yard run was nice, but do you realize he only had 22 yards on his other 11 carries? Yeah, not great workhorse numbers. But he's a great kid who has been looking better this season running North and South.

But I didn't mention that, instead, just focused on Kendall breaking the longest run of the season by any ball carrier, and Cook averaging over 8 yards per carry and scoring on a 19-yard TD reception.

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2021

Hey @reddawg1, I don't want to discount anxiety as a possible reason for Jackson's struggles as a punt returner. It certainly could be that. But if that really is the case, I wonder why it would happen this season after he's already returned punts -- in bigger games -- for two years now. I think the CBS sideline reporter did say on Saturday that Kirby thought Jackson was fine and intimated that the real issue was tricky wind conditions. Perhaps that was so. I was not at the game. And Jackson hasn't bobbled or fumbled many this year. But he has seemed less sure of himself when he does make a return. Here's hoping he uses the bye week to clear his head as well. Go Dawgs!

• DawggyDawggy Posts: 346 ✭✭✭ Junior

So it was a different kicker who kicked out of bounds Saturday, giving UK the ball at the 35?

• ftworthdawgftworthdawg Posts: 789 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Mike, Welcome to the J Cook fan club! It took you long enough.

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What's the word on kicker Jared Zirkel? He signed on with a chest full of ribbons...then not one word.....Podlesny shows up. May lose him to portal...Zirkel that is.

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

How about “Stock Soaring” Kirby Smart?

Not only are the Dawgs the best team in college football, Kirby has instilled in them many positive mental attributes, not the least being the class in which they play the game. I watch a lot of college football and in this area, they are second to none!

Less than six years ago, after the last game before the off week, I would get nervous about getting on the websites covering the Dawgs because of what may have come across the police blotter overnight. No more. Kirby has gotten his players to buy into taking pride in themselves, their team, and the honor of being Georgia Bulldogs. The ones that don’t buy in soon find themselves in the portal, and though we have lost some talented players, I must say, we are a better team for it!

Go Dawgs!

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2021

Mike Griffin: Here's how biased and flawed your "logic" is. KY was stacking the box on every play daring UGA(really SBIV) to try and beat them with the pass. No matter where the LOS is, White has the speed (more than Milton) to take it to the house when he breaks through the line like he did vs KY. As he did for 75 yds last season vs FL outrunning their D. Remind me again how many 75 yd runs Milton has had at UGA? Milton is an excellent power back. But his style has led to him being banged up missing 3 games last year and 1 this year. The DEFINITION of a workhorse back is one that can take a lot of carries, gain tough yards and be able to answer the bell. Milton has not proven he can do that. He has missed time with fewer carries. As for White's 2 ypc avg on his other runs, Milton avg'd MINUS 0.5 ypc on his other runs. Milton is great at what he does. Power runs. White is the better all round RB. Until Milton can prove he can take workhorse carries and be available he will not be RB1.