Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football winners and losers following big win over Florida

SystemSystem Posts: 10,461 admin
edited November 2021 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football winners and losers following big win over Florida

Georgia football beat Florida 34-7 on Saturday.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BetheredgeBetheredge Posts: 199 ✭✭✭ Junior

If reps & timing were truly the issues preventing Daniels from starting, then why was he not on the field once the game was on ice getting the reps he needs? Like last year despite Bennett giving all he has, opposing teams have figured him out. The offensive production in yards, points & time of possession have declined considerably since Daniels has been on the bench. Add in the fact the Dawgs have failed to score in the 1st qtr for 3 straight games & it took the most incredible 2 minutes of defense I've ever seen to prevent an underwhelming 3-0 game or worse at the end of the first half. If Florida goes down by 3 with the ball to start the 2nd half, we are looking at a different game.

I understand Smart has to play who he thinks gives them the best chance to win but his explanation about Daniels rings hollow & of a coach afraid to make a change during a 8-0 start. He forgets Daniels saving last season & getting this year off to a tremendous start despite playing injured. Smart throws the old rule if not losing your position to an injury with ease. With huge rival road games coming up in Nov & a game against Bama looming & hopefully the CFP, the Dawgs are going to need the offense to be as elite & relentless as the defense. Anything less & they very well may be watching Saban & his below average Bama team playing for another Championship. Smart has resembled Saban in many ways since taking over in Athens. It took Saban losing a couple of national titles before he realized the need for offensive domination. The Dawgs are by far the best team in the land & deserve to play for it all. Let's hope Smart does not have to learn the hardest that offense is not just academic.

• Options
    Gaowens58Gaowens58 Posts: 8 ✭ Freshman

Piss poor excuse for not playing JT. If JT had played we would have scored more points and would have made Florida look even worse than we did. However, if Kirby keeps playing Bennett then the Natty he is wanting will not happen. Alabama has Bennett's number and they can and will stop him from making plays.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

[That means will play at least four games this year that start in the 12 p.m. window with three of them being at home. This isn’t like Georgia is some middling Big Ten or ACC team.]

I mean, looking at Bama's schedule and they typically play 3 games at noon, so I just take it that it's the way it is. I can understand how it'd **** to be at the game, ESPECIALLY if you are planning to travel that morning (early), but it's fine. For the team itself, having a home noon game gives you a slight advantage as your team is likely going to be more sleep-rested compared to the other team.

[Smart made his quarterback plan crystal clear on Saturday. There would be no rotation, as Bennett brought more continuity to the Georgia offense. All those missed practice reps by JT Daniels prevented him seeing the field against Florida.]

Oh dear god, are you trolling? So I guess by that logic no 3rd string player would ever play? Is that why Vandagriff hasn't even seen the field in one of our blowout games? Is that why Beck has been shunned and ignored? That's not a valid excuse.

Start Bennett? Fine. Keep Bennett in after first almost-interception? Ok. Keep him in after a nearly identical bad-idea that IS intercepted? Hmm. Keep him in after halftime with a 24-0 lead? What? Keep him in with 7.5 mins left in the game after a second intercept? Oh come on!

Smart is a LOSER here because it was a loser decision and it's the reason Georgia QBs transfer.

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I guarantee that if bama was ranked number one, they wouldn’t be playing at noon so much. The tech game will probably be at noon, too, with them being so bad. 🙄

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think Kirby was trying to show us, the fan base, that he's not going to let us bully him into making QB decisions. I'm like @kirkhilles in that I can't understand why JT wouldn't get on the field in the fourth quarter once the game was firmly in hand, since Kirby's stated reason for not playing him was that he was basically rusty from NOT playing. So, the only way to knock off the rust is to PLAY. I hope Smart will change because JT has the natural skills AND necessary intangibles to lead us to a Natty, that Bennett just doesn't possess. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    klapaklapa Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

My feeling is that neither Bennett nor Daniels is the "complete" quarterback the Dawgs need for the stretch. I had thought Bennett was the better match for this year's team but I'm not so sure now. Bennett has the tendency to throw that same interception - the long arch downfield. He has done so multiple times, even in the Vanderbilt game, and each time the "setting" is similar with regards to receiver, defenders, and his overthrow by at least a couple of feet. It's becoming rather common and each time similar enough that I wonder if it is some quirk of vision/judgment that he has.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2021

Ok, I say what I'm about to say as someone who has spent this entire season as a big proponent of making Daniels the starter when he's up to speed.

Those of you who are freaking out about Daniels' not playing last week, have you considered the possibility that Smart's explanation is essentially coachspeak? That while Daniels may be technically cleared to play, his full recovery still presents a delicate situation, much like his knee did last year? That the risk of putting him out there against our biggest rival when they're in wounded animal mode might have outweighed the reward of getting him a few extra snaps, considering that there is still a month's worth of very winnable games left to play before the SEC championship? Doesn't this make a lot more sense than this assumption that Smart is - and according to some of you, will continue - completely ignoring his would-be starting quarterback for no good reason?

Smart's team has won 12 straight. They've been #1 for weeks, and most likely will be for weeks to come. I'd say he's done more than enough to earn the benefit of the doubt on this. But if you're set on assuming the worst, I just have to ask... why? On what evidence are you assuming that we're watching a blunder of epic and historic proportions play out before our eyes, and that it's not simply a matter of bringing Daniels along slowly now that he's starting to turn the corner after several weeks of injury, considering how important his health is going to be a month from now? In taking up such harsh opposition, it seems like y'all are reacting to some information that the rest of us don't have.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Remember last year when JT was healthy enough to play against FLA and Kirby didn't play him? Probably about "practice." As Allen Iverson once said.

• Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 371 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited November 2021

I think Smart's comment about JT having gone "three weeks without taking reps" is a bit odd. Weren't we on a bye week with 2 weeks between games? Didn't he tell us daily that JT was getting more throwing in and even went with the ones? How do you not take reps while taking reps and increasing that number of reps daily? He was reportedly throwing before the bye week, he just wasn't 100%.

I like Bennett and appreciate his work and his leadership but seriously, what am I missing here? Even if you start Bennett, are you saying JT couldn't even get a play in? You found time to yank JT during a game when he was excelling just so you could play Bennett because he deserved it. Does Daniels not deserve game time work when you are way up in the fourth quarter?

Again, what am I missing?

And let's not fool ourselves. florida is a BAD team.

• Options
    KickJudyKickJudy Posts: 81 ✭✭ Sophomore

I think Zeus is getting his speed back, it seems like he's faster every week. I like Bennett but those long balls seem to be just interceptions waiting to happen. I do like his short passes however. Get JT some reps. we gonna need him.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The offense was about to enter halftime having scored 3 points. Dwell on that a minute and think about a showdown with BAMA. This has to be fixed and fast. QB, O-Line-receivers, **** mistakes. FIx it! Take away those 3 turnovers and if FLA had started their other QB, we might all be singing the blues today.

• Options
    JackJack Posts: 87 ✭✭✭ Junior

Couldn't Mullen be listed as a loser every week this season? He loses the game this year but talks about last year's victory. Surprised he didn't mention the thrill Moses must have had in parting the Red Sea!