Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Impact of I-85 Fire for travel to Athens (Recruiting & Fans)?

BobcatGradBobcatGrad Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is not directly "On-Topic" but could have an impact for fans and travel for coaches and prospects in recruiting.

I am driving from Richmond, Virginia for G-Day so there is no impact. However, I am not sure how this would impact travel from Athens to Atlanta. Sometimes we fly and rent a car and my daughter will fly home at Easter. I am concerned not only about how this impacts us but also concerned how this might impact the commute for recruiting Greater Atlanta. I imagine there will be a huge ripple impact with various diversion routes.

Thanks in advance for any local insight.

Comments

• RetiredRedcoatRetiredRedcoat Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is also not an "on-topic" response, but I misread one sentence of your post to begin with and thought it said "sometimes we rent and fly a car." I was confused, because I haven't been out of Athens that long, but they were nowhere close to flying cars when I was there...

• BobcatGradBobcatGrad Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sorry to confuse you, from our front door to the hotel in Athens by flying to Atlanta and then driving to Athens has ranged from 7-10 hours the past two years. Driving 9 hours each way is not a great option for various reasons so our visits to Athens may not be as frequent the next two years as they have been.

• HotDawgsAndMustardHotDawgsAndMustard Posts: 153 ✭✭✭ Junior

From Atlanta to Athens there are several other decent ways to get there instead of 85N to 316. If coming from the airport.... Go east (or counter clockwise) 285 and exit off on to I-20 East. Either get off at exit 98, Hwy 11 and go north through Social Circle and hop on 78 Eastbound in Monroe and take that straight into Athens. Or keep going east on I-20 until you get to exit 114 in Madison and take 441 North up to Athens. Either way is "about an hour and a half..." But you know, Atlanta, depending on the day and time of day and what decides to epicly go wrong next... that could change.

Personally, I hated going up 85 to 316 and going through gwinnett... Too much traffic. If you want to stop half way Madison is a pretty town with more options for food/gas than Social Circle or Monroe. Also, Madison is the only town around that area that wasn't completely burnt down by Sherman, so you can see some old pretty homes as you drive through if that's your thing. Watch out for speed traps though, (especially on game day!!!) on both 78 and 441. Local sheriffs out there always looking for more money.

• BobcatGradBobcatGrad Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thanks HotDawgsAndMustard!